Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tool buying ethics?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    But Mike, aren't those items in unopened packaging?
    As Jim points out, a lot of things, like plastic or brass fittings, are just individual pieces with a barcode on them. Certainly if stuff comes in a package and you open the package, you bought it. If you didn't open the package, you can certainly take it back.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sometimes it is just piece of pipe or fittings with a bar code tag.

jtk
    But unused? I do the same, as for all practical purposes the item is new.

A tool that has been opened, but not used, is still new, but once it touches wood, it is used. Returning it, because you don't like the color, wrong! Returning it because the sole is twisted, OK.
    Last edited by Tony Zaffuto; 04-16-2017 at 6:09 AM.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

In your opinion of course. Like Graham explained, when buying stuff over the mail, you are disadvantaged as a consumer. When it appears on your doorstep, then indeed the color could be a huge dissapointment.

That's why many European countries have very strict laws about your right as a consumer to return stuff for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Great question. Those that have no problem ordering two tools just to try them both and then sending the one they don't like back, have a very different view of life than we do. They view a company as an entity, while we view a company as a group of people.

Nothing we can do or say wll change that.
    I couldn't agree more. There's a cost associated with that behavior and we all pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Crawford View Post
    I think you are crossing the line if you use the plane. (I understand that this is just an example and you are not planning on doing this.)

If you order the tool, it arrives, and without using it you think, "I shouldn't have bought this..." "It is ugly..." "It is too heavy..." "I would now rather have a belt sander..." then I think it is fine to return it. A liberal return policy benefits a company that sells good products, because you trust them, and will order more in the future.

A relative works at Amazon, and they have these two odd phrases to describe their two classes of returns: (1) "exists in product" and (2) "does not exist in product". "Does not exist in product" means "the problem is not with the product." I personally would not take a product that does not have a defect, and then give it a defect myself (using it), and then return it. Doing so will cause you to be reborn in a universe filled with belt sanders.
    I kind of concur but the problem with that line of thought is that once you open the box the company can no longer sell the tool as new. So they figure in the cost of selling returns "as-is" at a discounted rate or throwing the returned tool in the dumpster. Again, all of us pay the price. And what's wrong with belt sanders?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Use your own moral compass.

personally, I would try a tool out like that for a long while before deciding you like or do not like it. Keep it for a year. Then sell it used if you do not want it. You will sell for so close to your purchase price my guess is a guy like you will regard the net rent you paid as a bargain price for a year long evaluation.
    I like your idea, I've done it myself. If after doing my homework and evaluating my needs(and hopefully laying hands on a tool in person) I think enough of it to buy it then I bought it and own it. If it's broken or doesn't do what the manufacturer said it would then I have no problem returning it, that would be the "exists in product" classification that John mentioned.

OTOH, if the tool does what the seller says it does and is of the quality represented in whatever sales info I relied on then I own it. I don't know of any tool manufacturer that guarantees any of their products will fit your style of work, your hand, your toolbox or your expectation of color based on a guaranteed non-color-correct photo on the internet.

To the OP, I'd say you're taking advantage of the manufacturer if you return the tool based on perceived value. And my hat's off to you for thinking you'd be uncomfortable in returning it. If more people thought like you good tools would be cheaper.

Just my thoughts...

Best,
    Bill

Bill--you were doing quite well except for this point.

I believe that, if the tool is unused, it can be sold as new. If the packaging gets damaged while opening it they can replace the packaging.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."