Thread: Atlanta visit to SCM Group and Highlandwoodworking

Atlanta visit to SCM Group and Highlandwoodworking

I drove a couple hours today to Atlanta to see Minimax jointer/planers at SCM Group and Rikon bandsaws at Highland. Got to see everything I wanted at Highland, not much at SCM.

My mistake - I assumed that since Duluth is the NA headquarters for SCM and they highlighted a 3000 square foot showroom on their website that I would be able to see their jointer/planers and even some of the combo machines like the CU300. The showroom has about half a dozen of their high end machines - huge CNC machines, edge banders, ... but nothing from their "classical machines", and they don't have any plans right now to put these machines into the showroom. All they could do was refer me to Youtube videos and gave me a contact in Austin, Tx. Just passing on info so others know what to expect at their Duluth, GA site.

At Highland I was interested in comparing the 10-353 14" 3hp, the 10-342 18" 2hp, and the 10-326 1.75 hp bandsaw. All three units were in the center of the store. I spent most of the time looking at the ergonomics which is a big factor for me. I played with the new guides which are easy to use. You just push them in against some spring pressure and tighten the knob. Most of the controls were easy to adjust. The tension quick release lever pulled left to right instead of up and down. So when you are standing at the front of the machine it isn't obvious which way the tension lever is set, not a big deal. The two bigger machines have about a 35" table height vs the 38" height of the 326. I'm 5'7" and plan on doing a lot of re-sawing and liked the lower table height. I'm leaning toward the 353 with the extra hp and I liked having a brake, and the footprint was no more than the 326 which will help in my small shop.

If I was just looking for my first bandsaw the 326 would be hard to pass up. Lots of great features, priced good, extra storage compartment under the saw. Many good choices from Rikon, the 5 year warranty is attractive, and they have closed the gap vs. Laguna with their new guides. My only small gripe is the mobility wheels. I wish they had a pump up lever for the single wheel instead of that long lever bar - maybe I can find a third party solution for this because I need to move the saw around.

I have the 325, the predecessor to the 326. I hated the bar for moving the machine due to limited space in my shop. I saw a laguna with the pedal type wheel on the front and thought that was a good idea. I looked for one and finally found one at Rockler that I likeds and it was on sale. Bought it, and put it on the saw. Had to modify it a bit but no problem. Works great. Just have to be careful not to tip the machine over. Still no biggie.

I just love Highland Woodworking and go by there every time I am in Atlanta.

Mike, if you're looking for woodworking machinery in Atlanta, both new and used, check out Redmond in Newnan next time you're here. Also, while you're here, check out Carlton's Rare Woods and Veneers for the largest selection of imported woods in the Southeast.

Sam Blasco, a member here, is likely the SCM/MiniMax rep they referenced you to and he's "da best". It's not surprising to me that their HQ showroom is predominately aimed at the more industrial stuff because that's their largest revenue market and it's unfortunate you were not able to see what you wanted to see. Euro machinery is just plain marketed differently than the mass market...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Mike, if you're looking for woodworking machinery in Atlanta, both new and used, check out Redmond in Newnan next time you're here. Also, while you're here, check out Carlton's Rare Woods and Veneers for the largest selection of imported woods in the Southeast.
    Yonak--seems like I see Redmond list items on eBay at times. I take it they are good folks to deal with from your comment. Good to know--as if I ever do buy it would be a shipping thing. Thanks.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sam Blasco, a member here, is likely the SCM/MiniMax rep they referenced you to and he's "da best". It's not surprising to me that their HQ showroom is predominately aimed at the more industrial stuff because that's their largest revenue market and it's unfortunate you were not able to see what you wanted to see. Euro machinery is just plain marketed differently than the mass market...
    Yes Sam has already left me a phone message and seems very proactive in getting me connected. So I'll start working with him to find another place I can actually see and touch the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fritz View Post
    Yes Sam has already left me a phone message and seems very proactive in getting me connected. So I'll start working with him to find another place I can actually see and touch the equipment.
    What's quite common with MiniMax, Felder, etc., is customer references who host a "shop visit" to view the machine or a similar machine somewhere in your geography. I've had quite a few folks come to see my MiniMax stuff over the years under that program. This stuff isn't sold in "stores", so seeing it and getting to chat with an actual user is a great experience.

I've actually had the pleasure of visiting Sam's shop while in his area on business...wowsa! The dude has "the good stuff", makes incredible craftsmanship and is a master, bar none, of rigging and jigging.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What's quite common with MiniMax, Felder, etc., is customer references who host a "shop visit" to view the machine or a similar machine somewhere in your geography. I've had quite a few folks come to see my MiniMax stuff over the years under that program. This stuff isn't sold in "stores", so seeing it and getting to chat with an actual user is a great experience.
    While it would seem like common sense that a potential customer would like to see the actual machine before plunking down the cash, the sales people want you to think it is totally unnecessary. My experience with these two mentioned companies getting me in front of a machine has been like pulling teeth. It's really no wonder as to why the Asian imports sell so well when you can actually go see and touch it.

It is an unfortunate set of circumstances that are keeping high end classical machines from being displayed anywhere. The SCM Group has 16 or so divisions, all but two of them dedicated to one area or the other of mass production equipment (point to point machines, beam saws, CNC nested based equipment, finish lines, edgebanders, 7 axis routers, plastics, etc.) The numbers over the last ten years proves that the world is quickly moving away from traditional, "hands on" machinery, with many of the bigger players closing their doors. Even home shops now are getting into small computer controlled routers, engravers and carvers. So, when it comes to the SCM showroom, the only one I can really speak to, what they choose to display is strictly driven by numbers. Should they display a $175,000 machine where you will get 2-3 visits a month from prospective customers, or a $5,000 machine where you may get 2-3 people a year to visit (of my customers, alone, I had 4 requests to go see the Atlanta showroom all of last year). I had twice that many come to my shop to see my combo/bandsaw set up. I'm not saying it is right or smart, it is just the way it is. I also don't think you can compare it to the Tai/Chi machinery companies, who produce equipment for a larger market at a markedly lower price point. Euro machines are expensive by comparison, and many don't think justifiably so. Add to that, trying to sell the Euro concept of small shop thinking (a great bandsaw and a full combo, or two partial combos as the machinery base of most home shops) to a skeptical world ruled by the shop we all grew up with or dreamed about. Suffice it to say, it is a niche market from a sales point of view. I'm not sure if this helps explain it or muddies the waters. I'm just saying, if the numbers were there then there would be more showrooms. I push for more exposure, and would love to produce a TV show -- "The New European Workshop" if you will, to really introduce sliding table techniques, workflow with a combo via fun woodworking projects we can all relate to, but no one has offered the dough to get her done. I did help get some equipment into Tommy Mac's shop, and managed to participate in one episode, yet I know it is far from enough, and I wish I had more time to participate in this forum, but reality and workload dictate otherwise. For the most part Minimax has always relied on the kindness of its owners, and their hospitality is greatly appreciated, like Jim's. 8 times out of 10 I can usually get a prospective customer into a shop with a piece of equipment they want to see, though not always the exact model number. It is far from a perfect world, obviously, but this is the world that is right now in the USA for Euro based classical machines. In the meantime I'll keep pushing for what I believe in -- fewer machines in a shop and more workbenches, where the real bulk of a project is completed for most of us hands on types.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

Sam I really appreciate your perspective on this. And thanks for reaching out to me via phone messages. I'll pm you or email you to get our contact going. And I have no problem with the display choices SCM has made. Just wanted to give others a heads up about what is at their headquarters. I walked around for an hour with one of their product managers and was blown away seeing the merger of woodworking, technology, and state of the art assembly line production all rolled into the amazing machines they have on display. But I'm so far downmarket.

Your concept of selling the "new European workshop" is exactly what I am interested in, combined with my Festool MFT system approach where I bring the appropriate tool to the work piece whenever I can, is exactly how I want to continue my woodworking passion.

Thanks for stepping in with a real world view of all of this.

Mike, I also share Sam's and apparently your opinion(s) on the benefits of the "new European workshop" and it's really worked well for me. Sadly, this isn't approachable by every woodworker for various reasons, but it's no less a valid model than any other. (I couldn't afford it "today", so I'm glad I did take advantage when I did a number of years ago!) If you happen to get into my area, I'm happy to show you my MM stuff for sure.
    --

Anyone know if the new guides from the 10-326 will fit the 10-325? That's about the only thing I don't like about mine.