Thread: same bench, 10 years after

same bench, 10 years after

Karen and I built this bench for boat-building. we were going to build a small flats skiff. its massive, 3 inch thick solid y/p top, full eight feet by 27 inches. 3 antique quick action vises. the legs are 3/4 inch plywood boxed around a 2x4 frame. Its all bolted together (even the top -- 3 slabs ) for disassembly and moving. built a lot of stuff, but not the skiff. always intended to build a "proper" woodworking bench but never did. its ugly but not to me

SAM_1742.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's very stout and if it's flat, it's a great bench, regardless of the project and "visual appeal". While it's natural to admire something that has a, um..."refined look"...the bottom line for the shop is always functionality, functionality, functionality. So it's a beautiful thing that the bench as worked well for you!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wish I had one like it! I need a shop twice as big first tho, nice bench!
    Keep your mouth shut and nobody will know how stupid you are....I should have listened!

thanks guys. I just wanted a bench that was large enough and inexpensive. I thought I would be building another bench. Yellow pine and plywood from lowes was inexpensive. I built the base and put a temporary mdf top on while I finished the top. Ripping the 2x8's (or 2x10s ?) was simple ... but those things really spring any which way. Even after picking through them for the most likely looking grain. So milling them down was time consuming. I did eventually get the three slabs all square and flat but it turned out to be more of a chore that I expected. Then drilling 3 sets of bolt holes through all 3 slabs REALLY was a chore.

Looks like a great bench to me. My only thought was changing the 3 bolts sticking out - I would always have torn pant legs and scrapes on my shins. Come to think of it, I always do have the scrapes on my shins most of the time anyway.

yes good suggestion. I was going to cover them with plasti-dip, but through the years I have never bumped them . I believe this is because the top overhangs the ends and sides just enough.
    close up of the over hang
    Close.JPG
    Last edited by Harry Hall; 04-13-2017 at 4:34 PM.

Close ups of the vices

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

Importantly, it has worked for you!!! Probably many good memories in it...
    I like to design/build things according to the "need" not worrying about its appearance.
    AND you built it well!!!
    Jerry