Thread: Opinions of Grizzly DC

Blog Entries

Opinions of Grizzly DC

I was leafing through my Grizzly catalog and came across their Model G0562ZP, a 3 hp dust collector. Seems to be a lot of machine for the sale price of $725.
    Anyone have one that wouldn't mind giving your honest opinion?

Blog Entries
    No one owns this model?

Bill,

I own a similar version that came with the bags. No complaints. It does have a lot of power. I immediately upgraded it to include dual thien baffles, wynn cannister filters, and plastic bags on bottom. So it's a pretty different arrangement than what you're considering.

Of course the obligatory comment is that the cartridge filters on a single stage dust collector will tend to clog up fairly quickly. The flapper is kind of a bandaid attempt to fix the problem. So I would recommend picking up one of these inexpensive cyclones to go in front of it at the very least.

http://cycloneseparator.com/store

In the end, I upgraded my DC again to use one of these cyclones (took the motor and impeller off of the grizzly unit it and paired it with the cyclone). It works okay, but as I was dismantling my ducting to relocate my shop, I was shocked to see how many wood chips were still in the ducting... So I still want a clearvue.

My real advice is to save your cash until you can afford a real cyclone.

Good luck!

I used to use a Delta dust collector with just the filter bag and plastic waste bag. It was miserable having to clean and service all that stuff all the time. I retrofitted it with an Oneida Dust Deputy cyclone, similar to what the previous poster suggested, and life is much, much better. The filter seldom needs cleaning and the cumbersome and expensive waste bag never has anything in it. I would think long and hard before I signed up to the excessive, clumsy and unpleasant maintenance of a single stage dust collector again. I am moving my shop in the near future and I plan on spending the money for a cyclone system.

Blog Entries
    I understand. Been there...done that with koi pond equiptment. Thank you both.

I don't know what you will be using it for. It is probably okay for a planer or jointer, but like the other have said, anything with dust will clog the filters fast. Eventually you will want a cyclone.

If you can't afford a cyclone at this time, buy a used DC; they are common enough. You can always sell it for what you paid for it.

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I don't know what you will be using it for. It is probably okay for a planer or jointer, but like the other have said, anything with dust will clog the filters fast. Eventually you will want a cyclone.

If you can't afford a cyclone at this time, buy a used DC; they are common enough. You can always sell it for what you paid for it.
    I have the money, but I don't want to squander it on overloaded, overpriced equiptment that does very little.
    When I kept koi I was faced at one time with 3 surgeries in a row. So, since I belonged to a koi forum I asked the membership to help me pick out a filter that did the job but required little maintainance. A couple of members responded recommending a certain filter they thought fit the bill. $1200 later I have a new "do it all" pond filter.
    Well, it didn't take me long to figure out that the filter they recommended was perhaps the worst choice I could have made. Sure, it was fancy. The maker was highly regarded, but it was not designed to do anything well. In a pond with proper filtration it would only provide a small amount of bio filtration. It was not designed to remove any physical pollutants, in fact it could not provide much bio at all since I had hooked it up expecting fines filtration.
    Later on I made my own bio filter that trapped no fines that would eventually require back flushing. My koi were far more healthy and eager for food with the cheapo bio filter I made while the overpriced, overloaded, over built, $1200 filter had to be backflushed at least every other day.

So, it's from that prospective that I come to the membership for advice on a DC.
    I can fit the parts if you could provide me with the parts to create the best. From what I have gathered here so far I'd that fitting proper components can be less expensive.
    I hope this helps you understand my mindset a little better.
    By the way, thank all of you for your suggestions and comments. ...and pointing me to the Grizzly g0766. What a pleasure to run!!
    But I can't use it much without DC. My old HF mini I dragged out to the patio everyday. Can't drag this big guy out there. I did spend some time on it with the wind just right, the overhead door open, and every fan in the house blowing towards the garage door.
    I kinda get the shakes when I can"t turn.

Hi Bill, just to clarify, a purpose built cyclone will definitely out-perform the solutions I mentioned.

My cobbled together dust collection system has required a ton of tinkering time and some extra money to get it to where it is today, and it still doesn't perform as well as a Clearvue or Oneida cyclone.

So if you plan to do lots of woodworking, and you have the cash, I would recommend looking at Oneida or Clearvue.

If you don't have the cash or would rather save it, then I think the options I mentioned are decent next best solutions.

Just my opinion, if you have the money, spend it on a real cyclone like an Oneida or ClearVue.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Fwiw, I'm quite happy with my 6 or so year old G440 2Hp cyclone. Happy enough I just spent some sig. cash upgrading to the Nordfad clamp together ducting.