Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squares, From the Red Company

Squares, From the Red Company

I would like some really nice squares, but.........

http://www.woodpeck.com/1281ss-fw.ht...&mid=123937310

Anyone looking at these?

If you're gonna buy some of these I've got some waterfront property........

I've looked at them but just can't swallow the price. They're on par price wise with other s like Starrett.

I own way too many squares! Oh and triangles too.
    Really. - how many times do you need to draw an extended line? I don't think I ever have. I make tic marks at each end and am ready to go using my track saw, router guide, etc.
    I own the smaller Woodpecker squares - 2" and 6" and find them valuable. I own a couple of their gizmos that do the line drawing trick but never used them for that.
    Honestly, I think their triangles are the best hand tool items they sell. I have the 6", 12" and 18" and they get used a lot! Can't be knocked out of adjustment, won't slip and fall off your board, have other uses. Highly recommended.

Woodpeckers tools are great tools from a great company. And a company with great customer support. And they're made in your home state. The tool you linked to is a One Time tool, and as such usually carries a higher price tag. Lots of people buy the One Time tools...... for various reasons. I would think any of their squares would be nice to use in the shop. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Find a square you like and are comfortable with, not what someone else thinks you should (or should not) have.

I like to think of tools like these as 'discretionary income' tools. It's up to your discretion.
    That said, my Grandmother had a different expression for it: "Each man is crazy in his own way." I suspect anyone who participates in a woodworking forum has a couple discretionary tools. I sure do.

If you want a deal on decent squares, get on ebay and look for PEC blems. I use a Starrett and a number of Incra rules which I love, but I recently bought a PEC blem 4" double square, and it is on par with my Starrett.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parker View Post
    If you want a deal on decent squares, get on ebay and look for PEC blems. I use a Starrett and a number of Incra rules which I love, but I recently bought a PEC blem 4" double square, and it is on par with my Starrett.
    You can also find PEC blems at Harry J Epstein, sometimes.

For that money you can go to Harry Epstein and get an excellent combination square set and a machinist square set and have all the squares you will ever need .

I have Mitatoyo, but I bought every guy in the family a combo set from Epstein and was very impressed with the quality. Combo squares are the most used squares in my shop.

Blog Entries
    I am happy with my Starrett.

Well...at the risk of sounding crazy.... I like my home made wooden squares. I tune them with a wood scraper or block plane until they are dead square.
    I haven't seen any degradation in accuracy due to wood movement as they are less than 10 in long.

I do have Starrate and machinist squares to check them against. The Starrate came from Highland hardware about 15 yrs ago and is still dead accurate.
    The machinist squares are also right on the money.

A square with that high a price is not useful for wood working but it does make the ego smile...hoot!

Just call me woody...hoot!

While I'm unlikely to buy one, I'll just say that at least we continue to have an option to purchase quality products if we're willing to pay the price. Better than the "Why does (company) not make tools in the USA anymore?" or "It has now become cheap (foreign country) junk". Kudos to Woodpeckers for trying to supply quality products to the market at least.

Rick Moyer: agreed!

Blog Entries
    I bought a Starrett 20 years ago. I've never regretted it. I smile every time I pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    I would like some really nice squares, but.........

http://www.woodpeck.com/1281ss-fw.ht...&mid=123937310

Anyone looking at these?
    Yes, I am. In fact, I snuck in last night to order the Imperial set. Why? Because I have the Incra rulers and I know how very, very nice it is to have a "locked in" rule for marking, especially lines. There are some shortcomings to the Incra rules though, shortcomings which I believe these will address.

Do I want some waterfront property? No, because that usually comes with mosquitos. Do I want to buy a bridge? No, not unless it's functional and I can charge tolls while returning a profit. AND the seller has clear title.

Are they expensive? Yeah. So is using $5000 worth of woodworking equipment and 5-100 hours to build a bookcase when you could just go to Wal-Mart and buy a Bush RTA unit for $50 that will, in fact, keep your books off the floor just as well. What sort of idiot would do that?

Now that this Monthly "Only An Idiot Would By That" Woodpecker Bashing thread is winding down, I'm wondering how many will weigh in on the new one...

It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.