Thread: Sketchup - Anyone using it? I have some tips for getting clean .DXF exports.

Sketchup - Anyone using it? I have some tips for getting clean .DXF exports.

I won't type them all out unless someone is interested.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

I used to use SketchUp but have since switched to Fusion 360.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I used to use SketchUp but have since switched to Fusion 360.
    Ditto. SketchUp is not a true CAD program but many, many use as such. I learned on AutoCAD back in the early 90's and it was too hard to learn over again. If you know AutoCAD you can run most if not all the CAD programs and especially the Autodesk ones. Those who learned on SketchUp are shaking their heads right now... but I have and use every day various real CAD programs without issue.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I understand completely.

But- Once you get it down- and then get past the quirks of the "precision" -and then get past the limitations of the export features- and THEN get past the export features that (now I know why) cause LaserCut to go crazy".......after all that it seems to work really well : )

In fact, having use a plethora of different drawing programs, I cannot say I could imagine an easier way.

But, since no one else is using it, so far, I will keep my methods to myself until requested.
    Last edited by Joseph Shawa; 04-16-2017 at 1:19 AM.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shawa View Post
    But, since no one else is using it, so far, I will keep my methods to myself until requested.
    I think, probably, that the number of people viewing these threads greatly outnumbers those that post. If you have something to share, by all means, share it.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

You may be right and even if no one reads it now then perhaps they will later. I'll edit my original post if I can or start a new thread.

Joseph there are lots of people using SketchUp and in the 3D printing area its pretty common because it works. I just prefer the Autodesk products as they seem to have a common menu and I learned on it. Folks find this forum with Google and get information all the time.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

So here it is:

If you do a lot of editing to get to your final design often hidden lines are, well, hidden. Sometimes they even get left out of design but get exported just because they are there somewhere.
    If they get exported, which they seem to do, the LaserCut (or I assume any other equivalent software) doesn't seem to know how to handle them. Sometimes on an import it won't read the .dxf or an error saying "file too long. continue?". Other times it'll import but the machine acts crazy.
    Always make sure the actual working file is less than 8 letters long. This also makes the machine act crazy at times.

So in Sketchup you can select only the parts that you want individually but that can be a hassle. I like to drag around to select or select all.
    Here's an easier way:

Show hidden geometry.
    Select around a target area where you will place your final processed design before export and delete any junk that may lie there. (Or copy your design to clipboard and past in a new CLEAN instance of Sketchup. )
    Hide the hidden parts that you don't want in your model.
    Select the design.
    Move Copy or Copy Paste to somewhere close by.
    Explode the copy to eliminate components and groups.

Select it all again.
    Move Copy or Copy Paste again. You might notice that you can only move along one axis until you copy (Ctl)
    Paste this to the clean area. THIS IS PURE. No hidden geometry here. Check by Showing Hidden Geometry.
    Select this copy to export to .dxf .
    No junk. No problems.

I too started with Autocad in the early 90's, go figure. OP--I must of missed the part where you discuss how to get clean DXF export though.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buskirk View Post
    I too started with Autocad in the early 90's, go figure. OP--I must of missed the part where you discuss how to get clean DXF export though.
    The part that said make sure you have no hidden junk that gets exported along with your design.