Thread: 12' x 18" wide x 2" thick live edge maple board for a covered porch bar top

Blog Entries

12' x 18" wide x 2" thick live edge maple board for a covered porch bar top

This board was recently moved from an unheated woodworking shed/shop to my partially heated garage at my new cabin in the North GA mountains. It was bought to make a natural/rustic table/bar top on a porch we just had built onto our log and framed cabin.

I will need around 8' of the board to make the bar/table top. I plan to rip one edge using a Festool saw and track guide, and cut it to length with the same saw. I will build two legs to match the existing porch posts, to go on either end. I am also planing to build a fairly simple trestle support for the middle of the bar, possibly with the left over piece of maple.

I am anxious to cover the end grain and surfaces with something ASAP to prevent splitting. I bought this board from a place that cuts large slabs from big logs using a 50+ inch Alaskan chain saw rig. There is no way to know exactly when this board was originally cut. Many of the logs these guys cut are aged and this board does not appear to be green, looks like it has a reasonable amount of age on it.

In case there are doubters concerning how this board was cut. I have videos of them actually coating boards too:

BIG Alaskan Mill.jpeg

Here is actual board. The room was very dark resulting in gray scale issues that are not actually there and the length of the board makes it look less straight than it is:
    Maple live edge.jpeg
    Suggestions?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-11-2017 at 3:23 PM.