Thread: Woodturners Wonders Sanding Products

Woodturners Wonders Sanding Products

Following Robo Hippy's advice I purchased a couple of Milwaukee close quarter drill motors and some sanding products from Woodturners Wonders. The combination seems to work very well, at least from the standpoint of my relatively inexperienced hands. A couple of days ago I used the purple discs for some small sanding tasks and found them to be just as useful alone without the drill motor. Coincidentally, I received a special offer yesterday from Woodturners Wonders for 400 additional purple discs at what seemed like a good price, So I bought them along with a hand sanding pad thinking that I would probably use more of them for that purpose. Anyone else using these small sanding discs for hand sanding instead of cutting pieces from large sheets of sanding paper?

I buy nearly all my abrasives from Vince Welsh - primarily 2" discs. I power sand with them most of the time, but use them to sand by hand when doing finials.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I buy nearly all my abrasives from Vince Welsh - primarily 2" discs. I power sand with them most of the time, but use them to sand by hand when doing finials.
    I just saw one of Mr. Welsh's videos describing the extensive selection of sanding discs he offers. Amazing and at the same time confusing. I will keep it in mind the next time sanding discs are needed.

That price is actually really good, especially for that variety and quantity.

You don't actually need "discs" though; squares work fine. For smaller discs, I prefer cut up rolls or sheets (2.75") intended for body sanding. I can't compare them directly to the Woodworker Wonders' discs, but Norton's high-end sandpapers (A275,A975) are great.

I use rolls

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Following Robo Hippy's advice I purchased a couple of Milwaukee close quarter drill motors and some sanding products from Woodturners Wonders. The combination seems to work very well, at least from the standpoint of my relatively inexperienced hands. A couple of days ago I used the purple discs for some small sanding tasks and found them to be just as useful alone without the drill motor. Coincidentally, I received a special offer yesterday from Woodturners Wonders for 400 additional purple discs at what seemed like a good price, So I bought them along with a hand sanding pad thinking that I would probably use more of them for that purpose. Anyone else using these small sanding discs for hand sanding instead of cutting pieces from large sheets of sanding paper?
    Rizza's "sanding taco" seems like a good way to use disks on hand for hand sanding. Personally, I prefer 1" and 2" rolls of sandpaper for hand sanding, just tear of what I need. These work well at the lathe and off. I wrap them around a white Magic Rub eraser for non-flat surfaces. I put the rolls on a dispenser and hang it within arm's reach:

lathe_wall_IMG_5749.jpg sanding_soft_block.jpg

I use the Klingspor Gold rolls.

JKJ

I like his products, and use worn disks for hand sanding, since the centers still have life left to them.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I wrap them around a white Magic Rub eraser for non-flat surfaces.

JKJ
    Great idea! Note to self.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I like the eraser idea, but I will stick with my pads that I made from a pair of 99 cent flip flops.

Marvin when you make flops pads what type of glue you use

Quote Originally Posted by louis pittman View Post
    Marvin when you make flops pads what type of glue you use
    I am not kidding, it is called "Flip Flop Glue". Another glue I got from my wife, I think it is called E6000. Both from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I just saw one of Mr. Welsh's videos describing the extensive selection of sanding discs he offers. Amazing and at the same time confusing. I will keep it in mind the next time sanding discs are needed.
    Hi Steve,
    If you are confused or have questions always know you can reach out to me to get your question(s) answered. I am here to help. Video conferencing to solve issues is also available.
    Thanks, Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

So far I've purchased my sanding disks from Vince. I did notice the Woodturners Wonders offerings. I did purchase some replacement self-stick pre-cut round velcro from WW for some shop made sanding pads. The velcro was smaller diameter than Vince's. I'm pretty sure Vince's sanding disks are oversize too. As I recall they are 2-3/8" and 3-3/8". Just wondering, are the sanding disks from WW true 2" and 3" or oversize?

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    ...Just wondering, are the sanding disks from WW true 2" and 3" or oversize?
    Ken told me just now his disks are 2" and 3", not oversized.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ken told me just now his disks are 2" and 3", not oversized.

JKJ
    That's what I received recently, not oversized.

Thanks to this thread reminding me to get over onto their site and order. I have lamps and a CBN wheel from Ken. I gladly jumped in on the sale and added some extras.