Thread: New Grizzly spiral cutter heads?

New Grizzly spiral cutter heads?

Not sure if these are new but I received my Spring/Summer catalog from Grizzly yesterday. I've been wanting to replace both my jointer and planer heads for over a year and was pretty much set on the Byrd for the fact it's made in the US and is a true helical design.

Byrd head for my Delta DJ-20 (8" jointer) is $425 through Grizzly.
    Model H8803
    Byrd.jpg

The original Grizzly head design is $425 as well.
    Model T27449
    Grizzly.jpg

This one that I hadn't seen before looks to be a Byrd knock off. Right now it is $275.
    Model T27697
    Copycat.jpg

Does anyone have experience with the T27697 design? For the sales price I can get an 8" and 20" head for my jointer and planer for the cost of just the 20" Byrd head for my planer. I really want to stay with the same head design between my jointer and planer for simplicity of tooling.

I also noticed both Grizzly style heads use a 14 mm x 2.0 mm cutter while the Byrd is a 15 mm x 2.5 mm. Does the width and thickness offer any performance advantage from the Byrd over the Grizzly.

I know I could call Grizzly to answer these questions but always like to get a non-partisan opinion first.

Thanks,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    I also noticed both Grizzly style heads use a 14 mm x 2.0 mm cutter while the Byrd is a 15 mm x 2.5 mm. Does the width and thickness offer any performance advantage from the Byrd over the Grizzly.
    The older style heads (T27449) do use a 14x14x2mm insert, but they are flat profile knives. The more helical design should use an insert with a slight radius (which I don't think Grizzly offers in a 14mm insert). Looking at the parts list pdf for the T27697, it shows to use a 15x15x2.5mm insert like the Byrd and some of the other Grizzly heads.. I started a thread today about using Byrd inserts on a Grizzly head that calls for H9893 cutters, but haven't found an answer yet. If it doesn't work out, you may want to consider the replacement cost. The H9893 inserts are $83/box whereas Byrd can be had under $30/box. Here is a snip of the PDF I mentioned.
    Capture.jpg

Plus, Byrd is made in the USA. I had an issue with a bearing on a Byrd pattern cutter and one phone call and it was taken care of.

I called Grizzly Tech Support and didn't get any of my questions answered. Based on the my discussion with the technician it sounds like they haven't received any of these new heads yet (next shipment is due 5/17). He didn't have a dimensional drawing nor could he confirm if the T27697 would fit my Delta DJ-20 jointer. I can't imagine it wouldn't as it fits their G0490 which the Byrd head fits both.

The technicians only recommendation was that I could buy this cutter head and then if it doesn't work return it. I'd end up paying a restocking fee.
    Copycat.jpg

I thought that the owner of Grizzly used to participate in this forum. I'm hoping he can weigh in.

I was really intrigued by these new cutters but the uncertainty around them is making me lean toward the Byrd heads even though they are 50% more expensive.

Just for everyone's info. This is the page from Grizzly's Spring/Summer catalog. You can see the significant price differential between the Grizzly and Byrd heads.
    Grizzly Jointer Heads.JPG

I bought a new G0609 Grizzly jointer about 10 years ago, along with a Byrd cutterhead, as considered it better than the Grizzly cutterhead. Lost about 1/4" of cutting width. So instead of a 12" jointer, I have a 11 3/4". Should have gone with the Grizzly head.