Thread: Call for Sanding Station Ideas

Call for Sanding Station Ideas

One of the videos by Woodturners Wonders shows a storage system for the sanding pads they offer. It seems like a good idea but doesn't include storage of the discs themselves or for other sanding equipment like drill motors, etc. Anyone care to show some pics or description of their sanding station solutions? So far my solution is 2 cardboard boxes, one for 2" discs and the other for 3" discs.

This comes up from time to time. Here's a thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?246451

My solution:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    I use these. The compartments are plenty big enough for 3" discs.

https://www.amazon.com/Stack-CB-12-C.../dp/B000M2WVT4

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    One of the videos by Woodturners Wonders shows a storage system for the sanding pads they offer. It seems like a good idea but doesn't include storage of the discs themselves or for other sanding equipment like drill motors, etc. Anyone care to show some pics or description of their sanding station solutions? So far my solution is 2 cardboard boxes, one for 2" discs and the other for 3" discs.

Not sure how you are set up, but here's one idea I'll throw out for consideration: can you sand outside?

I do a lot of power sanding, and the dust is unbelievable. So I built a sanding station thats portable. And old lathe spindle that holds the piece and a slow speed motor to turn it. (5 rpms - its an industrial rotisserie motor) Thats mounted on a 4 x4 foot rolling plywood platform, with an extension cord and outlets. All the discs and stuff goes underneath. My sanders live in a drawer at the bottom. Looks like crap, but works well.

In nice weather (warm and windy), I roll it into the driveway and sand away for long sessions. Instant dust removal!
    And I get to enjoy the great outdoors.

(BTW - park the car UP wind......)

Harbor freight organizer.
    20170103_211655.jpg

+1 On the Harbor Freight (or equivalent) organizers!

I just moved my sheet sandpaper to this cardboard box with 8 compartments, in which the paper fits snugly (each opening is 9" wide, just like the paper). Also comes with labels which attach to the front of the openings, which is handy. Costs $10, well worth it.

Screenshot 2017-04-20 at 8.34.26 AM.png

Ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still looking for something for my other types of sandpaper (belts, discs, etc.).

+2 on the HF style organizers for small disks. I have one box for 2" and one for 3"

for 5" disks, I don't remember where I bought it, but I have a "caddy" that is very similar to this one that Rockler sells plans for: http://www.rockler.com/sandpaper-storage-caddy-plan

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Vogel View Post
    Not sure how you are set up, but here's one idea I'll throw out for consideration: can you sand outside?

I do a lot of power sanding, and the dust is unbelievable. So I built a sanding station thats portable. And old lathe spindle that holds the piece and a slow speed motor to turn it. (5 rpms - its an industrial rotisserie motor) Thats mounted on a 4 x4 foot rolling plywood platform, with an extension cord and outlets. All the discs and stuff goes underneath. My sanders live in a drawer at the bottom. Looks like crap, but works well.

In nice weather (warm and windy), I roll it into the driveway and sand away for long sessions. Instant dust removal!
    And I get to enjoy the great outdoors.

(BTW - park the car UP wind......)
    And tell the neighbors to close their windows.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have threaded canisters made by GRUNDTAL. They are sold at IKEA and they are cheaper at the store than online. They fit 3 inch discs I also have a set for 2 inch discs. They have magnetic bottoms and I just cut a piece of steel to attach them to. For sheet sandpaper I use homemade compartmentized drawers. Two lathes with a cheapo Harbor Freight angle drill at each one. I use a bit extender on the drills. Looks like you have jumped into turning with both feet.
    Good luck, Kevin
    IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

Last edited by kevin nee; 04-21-2017 at 9:04 PM.

I followed your advice and bought this one. I really like it and it hangs well from my rack.

While this doesnt have any fancy sanding pad storage (thats all in a big tupperware container.
    One nice spring days, its great to be able to do this outside. Sun, fresh air, breeze.

IMG_1540.jpgIMG_1539.jpg

There's an old rotisserie motor in the bottom so it turns about about 1 rpm.
    Thats attached to a spare spindle for the lathe so it fits my chucks
    Home made "babbitt" bearings = maple, but with an oil hole on top

An extension cord to the garage, with a few plugs for the power sander.
    And lots of wind for dust removal.

Ok, kind of ghetto, but it works!
    Attached Images Attached Images