Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes to the Shop

Changes to the Shop

Small changes to the shop can make big differences in functionality. One of the greatest has been lowering the secondary bench and moving it off the wall into a central location in front of the main work bench. Several other changes have helped as well, the major one was moving the Moxon vise off what is now my planing and assembly bench to the back side of the main bench. All the changes effectively give much more room to work and things are set up for minimum monkey motion.

Here is a photo of the current set up:

That is a new pine box on the assembly bench, this has been the first use of pine in ages. I had forgotten how pleasant it is to work.

The sharpening bench is off the left end of the main bench, convenient to both benches, and my tool cabinet, chest, and tills are behind the main bench. While there has been little change to the sharpening bench it and freehand sharpening are the keys to an efficient work flow.

ken

Two benches that make sense to me.Id rather have two benches then two of the same handplanes.
    I like your setup.
    Aj

Ken,

Looks very good! Also, very nice workmanship on the benches.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

Looks very good! Also, very nice workmanship on the benches.

Stew
    thanks Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Two benches that make sense to me.Id rather have two benches then two of the same handplanes.
    I like your setup.
    Ahdrew,

I was a little surprised how useful the second bench is off the wall.

Ken

Blog Entries
    Looks great Ken!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nice setup Ken. I like the saw benches stored under the ends of the workbench and I need a light like that one. I have one, but it is smaller and with less "throw" or overhang capability than yours. If I can ask, what brand is the lamp you have on that main bench?
    David

Blog Entries
    I need a light like that one. I have one, but it is smaller and with less "throw" or overhang capability than yours. If I can ask, what brand is the lamp you have on that main bench?
    Not Ken, but it looks like a lamp made for drafting tables. Not sure if there is still any manual drafting supply stores around.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. I need a bigger/better-reaching one for sawing close to the line when using the Moxon to hold parts up to a better height. I will see what is around vis a vis drafting equipment now days.
    David

Blog Entries
    Looks good. I believe a bench should be accessible from all sides. I like having one to clutter with tools and parts and one for the workpiece itself. I have a tool cart with wood too behind me to lay tools within reach so I can work on the bench top without clutter.

Very nice...Good logic....I love 4 way access to the bench as you did,,,,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Looks great Ken!
    Thanks Brian, not the carpeted and ordered shop like yours but.....It's me and as you can tell it is a working shop.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Nice setup Ken. I like the saw benches stored under the ends of the workbench and I need a light like that one. I have one, but it is smaller and with less "throw" or overhang capability than yours. If I can ask, what brand is the lamp you have on that main bench?
    David,

The light I've had for a long time. It is a Luxo Color/Correct. Original use was for looking at color photographs under color correct light.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Very nice...Good logic....I love 4 way access to the bench as you did,,,,
    Thanks Jerry, the two benches work together very well.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Looks good. I believe a bench should be accessible from all sides. I like having one to clutter with tools and parts and one for the workpiece itself. I have a tool cart with wood too behind me to lay tools within reach so I can work on the bench top without clutter.
    Malcolm,

What is this "bench top without clutter" of which you speak?

Some day it might happen but my guess I will not be alive. Would be nice to work without having to make a space to work. Back in the old days there were two types of mechanics, those who's tool box had a place for each tool and the tool was always in place and those who would leave the tool where last used. Each worked about as well as the other as long as no one misplaced or moved a tool. You can see I've always been in the last group.

ken