Thread: Old Powermatic 160 Planer - Value and Wise Buy?

Old Powermatic 160 Planer - Value and Wise Buy?

I have a small ridgid 13" planer and recently made that flip cart for and mounted the ridgid oscillating sander on the other side. The projects I make I keep under 12.5" so I can pass through my planer......BUT a larger 16" planer would mean bigger cutting boards and panels.

Would a 3 phase Powermatic 160 be a good buy say for under $500? I honestly have no clue where I'd put it and power it as I only have 220 and this thing is 3 phase BUT from my research and videos it sounds like a beast and I of course I want it

I also would be able to do end grain boards through it with runners attached or not as this kind of planer has built in kickback and I imagine enough power and weight not to flex compared to the ridgid.

I just registered for OWWM.com and plan to ask there. Wanted to check with you guys first. I really need a jointer but came across this planer and started to drool.

Lastly, a machine like this, are carbide tipped knives beneficial compared to the steel knives?

That is a 1200 lbs machine and the motor can be changed out with a single phase 5 hp motor.
    And this would make any lunch box planer look like a kids toy.

So many questions!

It's a classic machine and a tank. Much larger in every way (weight, footprint) than a puny lunchbox. $500 is pretty good but factor in three phase. I'd just buy a VFD to power it, not worry about motor swapping. A 3hp vfd can be had for between $120 and $200.

I bought a pm 180 at a school auction about 5 yrs ago for $100, and put a 5 hp single phase motor and a Byrd head in it. It runs great and I would not think twice about buying one for under $500 - should last the rest of your life

condition is everything and old planers are more complicated than most woodworking machines. Having said that, the old machines seldom break unless broken before you buy them. The owwm guys will know the specifics if you give them the model, serial#, and a picture. Some 160s were better than others so knowing the specifics of your machine is important. A vfd is the way to go. Soft start and quick stop if you add a braking resistor for another $50 or so. Dave

Older powermatics are excellent machines. That's s great buy in my area at 500. I have 3 vintage woodworking machines and Highly recommend getting older equipment if you are looking to save a little money and have time and energy to get them up and running. The OWWM can help you get those old machined purring. And for the motor a 3 hp VFD will start out at $300 for the lower grade Teco brand drives and go up from there. I have a Teco running a 1.5 hp 3phase motor on my Delta/crescent 20 bandsaw. Had it a couple of years now and its worked flawlessly.. but some recommend getting higher quality versions. YMMMV

For the record if you want to get the current production equivalent Powermatic 15" 3 hp planer. It'll set you back $3,000.

The old machine once tuned will function equally well and do it for many more decades..
    Last edited by joel cervera; 04-12-2017 at 12:46 PM.

This would be an excellent upgrade to your shop.

Actually an equivalent planer would go for >10K. There are few machines made today to the same build. My SAC 530 is a pretty heavy design and really nice but not equal in build to my Oliver 399. I prefer it for other reasons but it won't still be here in 50 years but the 50 year old Oliver will. Dave

Won the listing, $560 after 10% buyer's premium. It's local and they have a forklift.

Now I gotta find/make a rolling base for this thing and have them forklift it directly on the base.

Anyone know the dimensions of the base of a Powermatic 160?

If the base has through holes, put it on Zambus ( Carrymaster ) casters. you want the 1600+ lb ones so they roll easily. Will raise the bed up but that is usually a good thing. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by joel cervera View Post
    For the record if you want to get the current production equivalent Powermatic 15" 3 hp planer. It'll set you back $3,000.

And it's a piece of garbage. I can not wait to see that thing go away.

If it has a separate feed motor get a small VFD just for the feed and you have variable speed feed. If it only has one motor forget that idea.
    If your shop power is limited use a VFD and set the ramp to speed over five seconds or so. Easier on the motor/gears and easier on the breakers.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-14-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Very few old 16-18" " light duty " planers had separate feed motors. Yates and the Rockwell Delta 18" copy were two. " Light " had a different meaning back then. Dave