Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounds like United Airlines muffed it

The public has a short memory and will forget about this in a few months. The doctor made a foolish mistake in defying the orders of the Captain and security. Once he did that they had to get him off, by any means necessary, not turn around and pick someone less confrontational. He chose the level of violence and as an educated person, he should have known that the people that own the plane get to make the rules. As I understand it he is facing criminal charges for interfering with a flight crew, so that this will likely end up in an unsatisfying simultaneous dropping of charges and lawsuits in order to make it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    The public has a short memory and will forget about this in a few months. The doctor made a foolish mistake in defying the orders of the Captain and security. Once he did that they had to get him off, by any means necessary, not turn around and pick someone less confrontational. He chose the level of violence and as an educated person, he should have known that the people that own the plane get to make the rules. As I understand it he is facing criminal charges for interfering with a flight crew, so that this will likely end up in an unsatisfying simultaneous dropping of charges and lawsuits in order to make it go away.
    I doubt that you would feel the same way if it was you that was 'selected' to deplane. I hope if they do, that you can shoot a video of yourself cooperating in the manner that you think is right and post it in social media as a proper example of passenger conduct. No one will watch it of course.

Blog Entries
    United should have offered 4 people $25,000 each. They would have had plenty of volunteers and saved money.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I doubt that you would feel the same way if it was you that was 'selected' to deplane. I hope if they do, that you can shoot a video of yourself cooperating in the manner that you think is right and post it in social media as a proper example of passenger conduct. No one will watch it of course.
    reminds me of a short story i once read.....

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    United should have offered 4 people $25,000 each. They would have had plenty of volunteers and saved money.
    in hind sight it should have been the way to approach the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I would say that United made a foolish mistake by taking the approach they did. They could have avoided this by the simple use of a bit of money.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I would say that United made a foolish mistake by taking the approach they did. They could have avoided this by the simple use of a bit of money.

Mike
    Just in case someone thinks it's me who's 'taking the airlines side', I'll clarify that I agree completely that United made a huge and ultimately costly mistake. However, under current rules (at least as I understand them), United did nothing wrong. The good Dr. Passenger also made a mistake. I'll leave it to individuals to decide who was more despicable.

Maybe it's just me, but I keep mentally equating United to The Dixie Chicks --
    I will defend with my life the Chicks right to stand on a stage and verbally commit commercial suicide. I hope they will defend my right to pass judgement on their words, by purchasing their records -- or not!

United Airlines can allocate their seats in any way they wish - with or without my blessings, and I trust they will be equally understanding when I pass judgement sitting in a Southwest seat. Dollars make a wonderful 'vote', and I've voted for anyone but United for several years. I hope everyone will remember their current outrage when United drops their fares by 10% across the board. I'll bet we don't.

As for the good Dr. Passenger's actions, if a police officer pulls you over and orders you out of your car (where you DO actually OWN the seat), telling the officer you just want to remain seated and go home will probably not 'fly'. When the police or TSA get involved, it is probably too late for vouchers and negotiations...?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    United Airlines can allocate their seats in any way they wish
    I think there are legal subtleties that no one understands, yet. While I agree with you in principle, when the passenger bought the ticket and was seated on the plane, there are certain rights he obtains through the contract of carriage. I imagine lawyers will be spending quite a bit of time trying to understand if United had the right to remove him after he had boarded.

An imperfect analogy would be if you hired a moving company to haul your stuff across the country. They might own the truck, but they can't just stop in the middle of nowhere and toss your furniture on the side of the road and leave you stranded while they pick up furniture belonging to a "more valuable" customer.

Blog Entries
    THIS HAPPENED TO ME!!! Well- I mean getting bumped- not getting carted off screaming!

First, let me just give you a little background. I have flown 836,948 miles with American Airlines to date, although had I not waited to join the rewards program, that would be well over a million. I fly 100,000 miles per year, mostly with American, but you name it, I have likely flown it.

I have been asked to get off a plane when I had already been seated. I simply said, "Okay, no worries," got up, and went to the counter to be rebooked. I had purchased my ticket last-minute because of a last-minute meeting. I really needed to be at that meeting, and it really screwed up my day to not make the flight, but life is too short to waste time worrying about uncontrollables. I won't mention the airline, but it was NOT American. I did buy my ticket last-minute, and I realize that airlines have to overbook because people simply don't show up for the flight. They took the last purchased ticket and booted him- that was me on that day.

I have chartered aircraft before, and I know the cost- it's about $10,000 per flight hour to fly a large jet. That's cost, not retail, although fuel prices have changed and that will change with fuel. That's also for a cargo flight, so a passenger flight would be much higher. When people no-show for flights, it's a big hit to the airline. It may be uncontrollable- missed connections- or it may be controllable- just didn't get there on time. Either way, the airline is trying to fill seats. Don't like it? Okay- they can start charging more per seat. It's a catch 22. They overbook flights that typically go underutilized. THAT SAID- I researched this story, and apparently this flight was NOT overbooked, but it was a crew staging issue.

When I fly 100,000 miles in one year, I get Executive Platinum for a year. That allows me perks, one of which is I can book a flight 24 hours in advance, and am guaranteed a seat, even if the flight is fully booked. Yes, that's a risk for the airline, but in turn they get all of my business unless I just can't avoid it. I can't sometimes, and that's when I was flying another airline where I have no premiums and I was booted off the plane after being sat down. I simply made the cut. No worries- no screaming, no entitlement- I just got up, and enjoyed the unexpected layover. I even laughed, thinking maybe someone high up in their rewards program used the same perk I used! Perhaps it was karma.

Apparently United had a crew on overtime due to unexpected weather delays, and by FAA rules, that means they can't fly. They were probably flying in another crew to replace them. They had a choice to make- piss off 200 passengers downline because the flight has to layover a whole day while the crew gets their FAA required crew rest, or send another crew. They sent another crew, which, if all went well, would have inconvenienced only a few people, and usually people take the voucher. I have taken vouchers as small as $500 and as large as $900 when I didn't just HAVE to be somewhere, although usually I do need to make a meeting. Their decision was logical. They should have gone higher with the voucher offer, so I will discredit them for that. That said- when you buy a ticket, it clearly states that you are not guaranteed a seat and things may change. Sorry, but that's how it goes. What caused this incident was actually rules by the FAA that are put in place for your safety. Pilots can only fly a limited number of hours in a row. If they are on "illegal overtime," They have to layover, and another crew must be flown in. So, the airline was flying in another crew so that unsuspecting passengers aren't buzzing around at 30,000 feet with a sleepy crew at the helm.

The internet is quick to judge based on a 30 second video that doesn't show the whole thing. It did appear obvious that there was some rough-handling by the security or authorities or whoever they were that took the guy off the plane. Apparently they were suspended pending investigation, and certainly it warrants an investigation. That said, what was the initial cause of this incident? The guy felt entitled and didn't want to get off the plane, even after the airport authorities told him he had to get off the plane. He resisted, although the video wasn't clear to what extent. If he got physical, then he deserved what he got. If not, then perhaps he has a case- I'll let the court decide that. Someone here said he was removed by United Airlines security people- I don't buy that. They looked like US Air Marshalls to me. I have seen them arrest someone when the flight landed because the guy refused to turn his phone off. He was a real jerk about it, so the flight attendant gave him a last warning- "Turn it off, or I will have the authorities alerted." He thought he was above the law. When we landed, they announced to wait in our seats while the US Marshalls boarded the aircraft. The walked up to him, and said, "Come with us," and it was priceless to see the look on his face- I think he was about to cry. At least he got to be the first one off the plane.

So- someone on this thread made a comment "Let me see you politely get off the plane." Well, I didn't get a video, but I did just that- more than once, actually. The other times I was on a standby ticket, so I had less of a reason to complain. At least once it was a full-fare ticket- in fact, I paid MORE because of the last-minute booking, and I politely followed instructions and got off the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    They had a choice to make- piss off 200 passengers downline because the flight has to layover a whole day while the crew gets their FAA required crew rest, or send another crew..
    Or they could have hired a limo and driven 4 passengers (or the crew) the 4-5 hours it would have taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    THIS HAPPENED TO ME!!! Well- I mean getting bumped- not getting carted off screaming!

First, let me just give you a little background. I have flown 836,948 miles with American Airlines to date, although had I not waited to join the rewards program, that would be well over a million. I fly 100,000 miles per year, mostly with American, but you name it, I have likely flown it.

I have been asked to get off a plane when I had already been seated. I simply said, "Okay, no worries," got up, and went to the counter to be rebooked. I had purchased my ticket last-minute because of a last-minute meeting. I really needed to be at that meeting, and it really screwed up my day to not make the flight, but life is too short to waste time worrying about uncontrollables. I won't mention the airline, but it was NOT American. I did buy my ticket last-minute, and I realize that airlines have to overbook because people simply don't show up for the flight. They took the last purchased ticket and booted him- that was me on that day.

I have chartered aircraft before, and I know the cost- it's about $10,000 per flight hour to fly a large jet. That's cost, not retail, although fuel prices have changed and that will change with fuel. That's also for a cargo flight, so a passenger flight would be much higher. When people no-show for flights, it's a big hit to the airline. It may be uncontrollable- missed connections- or it may be controllable- just didn't get there on time. Either way, the airline is trying to fill seats. Don't like it? Okay- they can start charging more per seat. It's a catch 22. They overbook flights that typically go underutilized. THAT SAID- I researched this story, and apparently this flight was NOT overbooked, but it was a crew staging issue.

When I fly 100,000 miles in one year, I get Executive Platinum for a year. That allows me perks, one of which is I can book a flight 24 hours in advance, and am guaranteed a seat, even if the flight is fully booked. Yes, that's a risk for the airline, but in turn they get all of my business unless I just can't avoid it. I can't sometimes, and that's when I was flying another airline where I have no premiums and I was booted off the plane after being sat down. I simply made the cut. No worries- no screaming, no entitlement- I just got up, and enjoyed the unexpected layover. I even laughed, thinking maybe someone high up in their rewards program used the same perk I used! Perhaps it was karma.

Apparently United had a crew on overtime due to unexpected weather delays, and by FAA rules, that means they can't fly. They were probably flying in another crew to replace them. They had a choice to make- piss off 200 passengers downline because the flight has to layover a whole day while the crew gets their FAA required crew rest, or send another crew. They sent another crew, which, if all went well, would have inconvenienced only a few people, and usually people take the voucher. I have taken vouchers as small as $500 and as large as $900 when I didn't just HAVE to be somewhere, although usually I do need to make a meeting. Their decision was logical. They should have gone higher with the voucher offer, so I will discredit them for that. That said- when you buy a ticket, it clearly states that you are not guaranteed a seat and things may change. Sorry, but that's how it goes. What caused this incident was actually rules by the FAA that are put in place for your safety. Pilots can only fly a limited number of hours in a row. If they are on "illegal overtime," They have to layover, and another crew must be flown in. So, the airline was flying in another crew so that unsuspecting passengers aren't buzzing around at 30,000 feet with a sleepy crew at the helm.

The internet is quick to judge based on a 30 second video that doesn't show the whole thing. It did appear obvious that there was some rough-handling by the security or authorities or whoever they were that took the guy off the plane. Apparently they were suspended pending investigation, and certainly it warrants an investigation. That said, what was the initial cause of this incident? The guy felt entitled and didn't want to get off the plane, even after the airport authorities told him he had to get off the plane. He resisted, although the video wasn't clear to what extent. If he got physical, then he deserved what he got. If not, then perhaps he has a case- I'll let the court decide that. Someone here said he was removed by United Airlines security people- I don't buy that. They looked like US Air Marshalls to me. I have seen them arrest someone when the flight landed because the guy refused to turn his phone off. He was a real jerk about it, so the flight attendant gave him a last warning- "Turn it off, or I will have the authorities alerted." He thought he was above the law. When we landed, they announced to wait in our seats while the US Marshalls boarded the aircraft. The walked up to him, and said, "Come with us," and it was priceless to see the look on his face- I think he was about to cry. At least he got to be the first one off the plane.

So- someone on this thread made a comment "Let me see you politely get off the plane." Well, I didn't get a video, but I did just that- more than once, actually. The other times I was on a standby ticket, so I had less of a reason to complain. At least once it was a full-fare ticket- in fact, I paid MORE because of the last-minute booking, and I politely followed instructions and got off the plane.
    I will repeat what I said earlier. There are people on any plane that have to get to the destination for whatever reason: personal, business, family, etc. There are other people who have the luxury of not having to get to the destination on that specific day.

Airline policies have to account for that. If they increased their offer - in dollars not vouchers - they would have found four volunteers. Instead they used a policy that happened to select someone who had to get to the destination.

If they had increased their offer in dollars until they got volunteers they would have had a bunch of satisfied people. The people who had to get to the destination would get there and the people who took the compensation would be happy they were able to get the money.

Instead they upset everyone and caused a public relations nightmare. It was dumb, dumb, dumb on United's part.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

12. For your own safety this is good advice. But I believe they were in the wrong, as it is against their terms of service to deny you travel after you have boarded.
    Even if they had the right to remove him, it was uncalled for to handle him they way they did considering the extent of his resistance was just remaining seated.
    Just because something is legal doesn't mean they were right for doing it. This man wasn't threatening anyone's safety, yet he was aggressively assaulted.
    I am sure his fellow passengers would have rather given their seats than see this happen to him, they took it too far too quickly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I will repeat what I said earlier. There are people on any plane that have to get to the destination for whatever reason: personal, business, family, etc. There are other people who have the luxury of not having to get to the destination on that specific day.

Airline policies have to account for that. If they increased their offer - in dollars not vouchers - they would have found four volunteers. Instead they used a policy that happened to select someone who had to get to the destination.

If they had increased their offer in dollars until they got volunteers they would have had a bunch of satisfied people. The people who had to get to the destination would get there and the people who took the compensation would be happy they were able to get the money.

Instead they upset everyone and caused a public relations nightmare. It was dumb, dumb, dumb on United's part.

Mike
    I don't disagree that they should have raised the offer. I know I took an offer at $900 once, and I have seen $1000. Someone usually buys in at that rate. It's a lot of money for one day's layover. I once agreed at $700 to reroute to Philly, layover, and catch a flight in the morning. My original flight got in at midnight, and instead I got in at 10 AM. Not much useful time lost, so I took the $700 plus meal vouchers.

14. If you invite someone over to dinner, set the table and prepare a meal, then treat them like an intruder at the last minute, is that OK because you own the house and payed for the food?
    He didn't choose violence, they put their hands on him first.

The passenger should have gotten off it became obvious that protesting woudn't help. He was a nut case.
    WHAT??? you have paid for your seat, sitting in your assigned seat, and for no reason you understand, you are asked to leave the plane? And when you don't, please explain the rule you are breaking. Because a pilot said so? Because a flight attendant said so? because some dimwit with a uniform said so?

How is Home-Land Security going to spin this as a terrorist plot????

How exactly would you be considered in interfering with a flight when you are a "random pick"? Did he threaten anyone? Did he start screaming at everyone before they so brutally evicted him from the plane?

United blew it, did a sloppy cover-up and should end up paying through the nose for it. For no reason, they treat him in a way that required a visit to the hospital?

Oh, they blew it - big time...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...