Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting back in the saddle again. RDWorks/LaserWork Upgrades?

Blog Entries
    Been looking at the controllers. 6442G and 6442S are very similar. Looks like S can drive two heads. I only have 1 head. Any advantage to getting an S over a G?

Found an open box S model. Is it worth $80 more than a G model, especially given I have only one head and no likelihood of ever having a second?
    Last edited by Mike Audleman; 04-26-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

Hi all just wondering what is the advantage of updating the controller as is I do all my work on the computer and use the controller to drive the machine ?
    Shenhui Laser G570 80W RECI

Adobe CS6, Corel x6 and other bits and all of which I struggle with

I am from the West coast of Ireland thus I chatter a lot

Blog Entries
    My reasoning for replacing my old 320 is that the old 320 is USB only. RIght now I am using a USB over ethernet adaptor. PITA. Second is that a couple of my membrane keys are starting to deteriorate. The Start/Pause and Enter are cracking. So failure is going to happen at some point. And third, the newer (v8) RDWorks is not fully compatible with my 320.

When adding the 3 up, its worth a weekend project to swap out the controller to gain the ethernet connection, to replace the keypad, and to gain compatibility with the latest software release.

I am in the same boat as you sounds like. I don't run the machine from the PC.

My PC is upstairs in my computer room. The laser is in the basement. I do NOT run the machine remotely. Its not safe. The USB connection is not always 100% and I am getting too old to run up and down 2 flights of stairs every time I need to reset the adapter.
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Mike as I recall the keypad is a serial plug in, you can just replace that. Unless you want to just spend the $400 to update.
    The keypad is but one aspect. $200 to replace the head (depending on where you order). For another $150, I can fix.... Lack of ethernet. Lack of v8 support (obviously no future in v6). Along with a nice color screen that has previews and ability to change layer settings all add up to it being worth ~$300 overall.

And, who knows, maybe I will figure out something to do with the old 320 I am sure some project will come along that needs and x/y controller.
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Your old one has value, when I was working on my diode laser I would have been interested. Check out LightObject dot com, he is not as cheap as ordering direct from China but he does support what he sells and has updated software that is way ahead of the normal one.
    Well, the LO-R5 looks similar to the 644x. The manual is names User_Manual_RDC644XG_V1.2.pdf. And the software manual shows the software is basically rdworks v8. I haven't used v8 extensively but I really don't see any obvious difference in what his manual shows and what I have seen on my copy of v8 downloaded from Ruida.

So whats the "way ahead" part?

I am not pickin on you. I honestly want to know whats different. Preferably before I order one from ebay From the PDF manual, it looks no different than V8.
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George
    He has a special or did have version for his customers and at one time I had it and was much better. But I will just not give suggestions anymore as you seem to already have all the answers.
    Bill, thats not what I meant. I want to know what is the difference in the stock V8 and what LO distributes so I would know whether it was better to buy the controller from LO or go with the stock one from ebay.

Thats why I said..
    I am not pickin on you. I honestly want to know whats different. Preferably before I order one from ebay From the PDF manual, it looks no different than V8.
    I was afraid you would take the question the way I guess you did. I think it was a fair question. Whats the difference. Whats the way ahead part?
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Blog Entries
    I've an 6442S model Drives two heads, and has the RTlink port that can connect to adapter to allow remote control. Other than that, I have no idea. I'd probably not pay extra for controller plus the remote unless you wanted it.
    and I'm kind of hesitant on 'open' box. Esp from China...
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

>>and I'm kind of hesitant on 'open' box. Esp from China<<

Hey, if it is open box there is a chance more than one person actually looked inside to confirm it was the correct part!
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    >>and I'm kind of hesitant on 'open' box. Esp from China<<

Hey, if it is open box there is a chance more than one person actually looked inside to confirm it was the correct part!
    Its an open box in the US
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser