Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back in the saddle again. RDWorks/LaserWork Upgrades?

Blog Entries

Getting back in the saddle again. RDWorks/LaserWork Upgrades?

Ok, in hopes that the new tube will work tomorrow after the silicone has cured, I have dug out my old software that I had installed:
    LaserWorkV6
    RDWorksV7
    RDWorksV8

Laser is connected to a StarTech USB1000IP USB to Ethernet converter. I have the USB server installed on my Windows 10 box and they do connect and I can see the port so I know the USB>Ethernet driver sees the remote and is connected.

LW6 loads and reads the USB stick. Seems to work just fine. Have to wait for a full on test to be sure.

RD7 Opens direct to a device selector. Chose USB Auto. Doesn't connect, says communication error.

RD8 Opens to the main window like LW6 does. However it will not query the laser's USB stick and reports the same communications error.

Finally got RD8 to run by re-installing it after wiping the folder. Now it recognizes the laser and will query the usb/memory. However it will not open any rld file. It will also not download and files from the laser USB/memory.

LW6 will open the rld files and will download from the laser (though they call it upload which is backwards but whatever).

So, is there a way to upgrade the files from LW6 to RD8 so they can be used or should I just deltree the source files and start over? Anyone have links to version differences/improvements?

Is there a better option than any of these three to run the laser.

And how does one upgrade the laser firmware (if need be)? The window reports "RDLC-V5.00.37" as the Mainboard version. Is there a newer version or should I even try? Also, any idea what the vendor password would be?
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

Blog Entries
    Paswword should be RD8888, or LD8888 be careful not to wipe your system. Some settings aren't intuitive. Others here will chime in, I haven't had to update software. There is a forum rdworkslab.com that may can help too, mainly guys with k40/eBay machines, but some decent help. Their site is updating and may not be up....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Paswword should be RD8888, or LD8888 be careful not to wipe your system. Some settings aren't intuitive. Others here will chime in, I haven't had to update software. There is a forum rdworkslab.com that may can help too, mainly guys with k40/eBay machines, but some decent help. Their site is updating and may not be up....
    Thanks. Unfortunately you can't register there. It seems to be an invitation only forum so no possibility of posing a question there nor can you even view thread posts so that site is mostly useless. So until I can get the attention of the admin, I can't look at much there. Will keep trying as they seem to have a focus on the software I am inquiring about. Thinking it could be a useful resource.
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

From what I have read, your controller may be limiting your ability to upgrade to newer versions of the software. Older versions of Ruida controllers cannot run on newer versions of RDWorks 8. Not sure about where the cutoff in versions occur.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    From what I have read, your controller may be limiting your ability to upgrade to newer versions of the software. Older versions of Ruida controllers cannot run on newer versions of RDWorks 8. Not sure about where the cutoff in versions occur.
    Well, ok, is it worth it to look at replacing the controller? Or can it be replaced?
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

On the RDWorks Lab forum, there are people who have upgraded their controllers so conceptually it can be done. Here is some example pricing:

Very common G version:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ruida+rdc6442g

The newer S version:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ruida+rdc6442s
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Mike, You can't find a used laptop with USB ports and Windows 7? I buy older Lenovo's that were top of the line for maybe $300 tops. The last one was upgraded to 12 Gb memory and works great. My slightly older one is in the garage/shop and connects just fine over my wireless in the house basement. Runs Corel 6x and other needed programs without an issue.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Mike, You can't find a used laptop with USB ports and Windows 7? I buy older Lenovo's that were top of the line for maybe $300 tops. The last one was upgraded to 12 Gb memory and works great. My slightly older one is in the garage/shop and connects just fine over my wireless in the house basement. Runs Corel 6x and other needed programs without an issue.
    Bill,
    I have plenty of computer equipment. I have a HP Spectre x360 15.6" 4K UHD TouchScreen Laptop with 2.7g i7, 16GB ram and 512GB SSD. My current desktop (an i7 with 16g ram) is being replaced by a new build based on a Asus Sabertooth X99 LGA2011-3 motherboard with a Core i7 6950X 3.0GHz 10-Core processor, an initial 32g of Corsair DDR4-3000 ram with another 32g coming later. Here is the build specs for the new system: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fKNz9W if you are curious.

So I have plenty of horsepower laying around with more coming. Not sure what bearing this has on the RDworks/LaserWorks questions though? Could you elaborate on why you think a cheap laptop would be a benefit here?
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Windows 7 vs Windows 10 and all the hassle to upgrade hardware and software to get it running. You don't need a lot of horsepower to run a 2 year old laser.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Windows 7 vs Windows 10 and all the hassle to upgrade hardware and software to get it running. You don't need a lot of horsepower to run a 2 year old laser.
    Certainly not, no. However running a 3 yr old laser isn't its main task either. Rendering and processing 4k video and photo processing is. And that requires more and more horsepower running Photoshop, Premiere and Lightroom as pixel rates climb and with newer 4k video. And I use it for CAD design for meshes for the 3D printer, but a simple Raspberry Pi runs the printer after the design is done. And I am considering building a RasPi slave to mount inside the laser to video stream as well as server as a remote USB port. But thats later down the line.

Maybe I am being dense or having a bad morning. I still don't get what bearing it has on the RDworks software versions? Could you clarify why you suggested a new laptop and what problems that could solve?
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Quote-So, is there a way to upgrade the files from LW6 to RD8 so they can be used or should I just deltree the source files and start over? Anyone have links to version differences/improvements?

Is there a better option than any of these three to run the laser.

And how does one upgrade the laser firmware (if need be)? The window reports "RDLC-V5.00.37" as the Mainboard version. Is there a newer version or should I even try? Also, any idea what the vendor password would be?[/QUOTE]

Hi Mike
    There is an easily accessible RDWorks Community Support Facebook page https://m.facebook.com/groups/900528680076062 that has downloadable versions of all the RDworks versions -They are up to about 8.1.23 or so now.
    Unfortunately version 8's will not open earlier versions RLD files but one can open those in the original and then "export" them (as an .ai file) which will open in any version - with the limitation that they will not have any .jpg or .bmp images saved with them. The password for rdworks is almost universally "rd8888"
    Cheers
    Bill
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bill. You are confirming what I was seeing that V8 wouldn't open all the files I had made with V6.

Frankly thats just stupid. But it is what it is. I am still unsure if I can actually used V8 with my current controller yet. I will have to make a layout and send it to the laser to see if it does anything with the file before I throw my chips in the V8 basket.

I am still trying to determine if its worth it to replace the controller with a newer one. Still digging into that to see what the differences are and what,if any, advantage I would gain by the expense.
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Audleman View Post
    Frankly thats just stupid.
    Yes, it does seem stupid, and actually I have found it is worse. In an attempt to read the old V6 files, I downloaded and installed 6.0.41. I then discovered that files created with 6.0.39 would not open. I finally found a copy of the old x.39 version and yes, that still opens the old files. When so many of my old files have jpgs or bmps, the "export" function is not that much help.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Mike you can run multiple versions of RDworks on your computer separately - I use version 6 mostly on my small laser and V8 on my larger one- both running on same computer, sometimes at the same time - when saving I usually put a 6 or 8 in the file name so I know what program created the file and will re-open it. Yes the lack of backwards compatibility is a pain but at least with V8 they seem to have made it so all the various V8 versions will open (so far anyway)!?!
    I don't seem to see any great leaps forward in the way the newer controller performs over the old one but maybe that's just my lack of awareness kicking in.
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Blog Entries
    V8 past .18 are not compatible with earlier version..... At least that is what I've heard on the rdworkslab.com board. Several had downloaded and installed .21 and couldn't load .18 and .18 wouldn't load .21 files.. Kind of ..... Chinese? lack of a better term.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others