Thread: My 6 foot folding rule broke

Blog Entries

My 6 foot folding rule broke

My 6 foot folding rule broke, but fortunately it broke at the middle hinge.
    Now I have two folding yardsticks, one with a 6" sliding extension.

The folding yardstick fits in the nail apron nicely.

Lufkin? If it is, you and I may be the last two who use such a thing. I started as a carpenter many years ago using Lufkin folding rulers and have never been able to get comfortable with a tape measure unless I am going for long length measurements. It is a sad day indeed when a well broken-in folding ruler is broken. "Broken-in" is a way different animal than "broken". I can still hear the old lead carpenter saying, "damn boy, you may need to stay on the wheel barrow if you can't treat tools better than that". I see you trying to make the best of a bad thing ("the folding yardstick fits in the nail apron nicely"), but the pain still exists, doesn't it?
    David

Blog Entries
    It is a Lufkin. How did you know?
    Never mind, I looked on line and Lufkin is all I found.

I used to have an 8 foot rule, but something happened to it.

The pain does exist.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-12-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Funny thing you mention this (not about breaking it, thats just sad) I just recently started using one quite often while building my cabinets. Can't believe I was missing out on this the whole time!
    Keep your mouth shut and nobody will know how stupid you are....I should have listened!

I have an aluminum one and a thin steel one marked "Germany". I seldom use them since many years ago I failed to unfold one completely when cutting some special wood for an employer. That makes stuff too short

I use one all the time best way to get inside dimensions and open old style beer bottles

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I use a tape for rough cuts and framing. I use a 6 ft. wood rule for cabinet work. I have 3 wood rules in the shop, 2 have never been used. Saving them for a back-up.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    When I was younger I used to play with my Dad's folding rule. I don't recall ever breaking one. Here is a Stanley folding rule I inherited from my grandfather who was a carpenter.
    IMG_0362.jpg
    It is a 2 foot model.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-12-2017 at 2:15 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I have one as well. I don't use it. I keep it in a display case. I remember my Father had one . That was over 60 years ago.

I'm in the process of building my workshop (I'm an electrician, but woodworking rookie), and I use a Lufkin wooden rule for all my measurements under 6 feet, and most under 8 feet. Back in the olden days when I was attending a vocational school, you had to start with a wooden rule, (If memory serves, the teachers recommended Lufkin). I believe there is also a Larkin one available.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    When I was younger I used to play with my Dad's folding rule. I don't recall ever breaking one. Here is a Stanley folding rule I inherited from my grandfather who was a carpenter.
    IMG_0362.jpg
    It is a 2 foot model.
    I broke my dads and got my rear smoked for it.
    I just recently bought a mason's 6' rule from a member here.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My dad always said never walk around with a folding rule unfolded - that's how they usually get broken.

I carry one in my back pocket every day in my shop. I have had the same 2 6 footers for over 40 years

I have two of the Lufkins. One was from my dad, so I've had it for about 35 years. The first joint has always been loose. About 4 " from one end is a saw kerf mark. My dad would measure from the tablesaw blade to the fence, while the saw was still running.

Just ordered a Lufkin. Broke my lastone about 35 years ago....
    Mark McFarlane