Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Lawn tools

Cordless Lawn tools

Thinking about jumping over to cordless Lawn tools. Blower first on my list, Hedge trimmer second. Cordless Lawn mower will never be an option for me.
    Want to stick with one brand for the interchangeable use of the battery.

What brand do you use?
    Top of my list is Ryobi brand. Have had good luck with Ryobi brand cordless in the workshop.
    Years ago I owned a Ryobi cordless weed trimmer Purchased from Furrows (Yes! that's how long it has been) And was very happy with it. It was the type with a built in battery.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I'm looking into this, too, and am leaning towards the Makita LXT or the Stihl battery-power line.

I have some DeWalt 20V garden tools and like them. The reason I went with them is because my other cordless tools are DeWalt 20V and I wanted to share the batteries. I have no idea if they're the best but they do get the job done.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Stihl now has cordless-electric options in addition to fuel powered.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Thinking about jumping over to cordless Lawn tools. Blower first on my list, Hedge trimmer second. Cordless Lawn mower will never be an option for me.
    Want to stick with one brand for the interchangeable use of the battery.

What brand do you use?
    Top of my list is Ryobi brand. Have had good luck with Ryobi brand cordless in the workshop.
    Years ago I owned a Ryobi cordless weed trimmer Purchased from Furrows (Yes! that's how long it has been) And was very happy with it. It was the type with a built in battery.
    I went thru 4-5 cheap gas powered systems in ~18 years, both 2- and 4-stroke; cursing all for the difficulty in starting and the maze of maintenance issues.

I then used Ryobi 1+ lawn (string) trimmer for about 2 yrs. It was a joy to not struggle with starting it, and I selected it for the same reason you cite - I had the drill/driver/etc. However, I tossed it after about the 4th or 5th battery crapped out on me. My suspicion is that the longer, continuous run time of the trimmer generates too much heat and kills the batteries. It would also take 3-4 batteries to trim my 1.5 acre lot. (I replaced the batteries and still have the old blue Ryobi shop tools - going strong.)

Then 2 yrs ago, I looked hard at stepping up to Stihl gas-powered line, but finally decided the battery convenience was too much to give up and replaced the trimmer with the EGO 56V version. I can trim same property on 1 battery charge. Added the EGO blower last summer and I can finish blow-down in the same time it took to fuel and start a gas blower. May add the hedge trimmer this year?

EGO is pricey compared to the other BORG battery operated lines, but it was either EGO or the Stihl (gas) .... you get what you pay for. Only took me 22 years to learn this.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 04-13-2017 at 10:04 AM.

I like my Ryobi trimmer. As long as we are keeping up with the lawn it has just enough power to do everything but if we get behind It needs a recharge to finish. I got the trimmer,battery and charger on sale for like $90.00. Priced an extra battery at $149.00?? So I make do with the one.

Thanks, A lot of good info.

Think I have decided not to go the 18 volt route. My guess the 40 volt would be more appropriate.
    Looked at the Stihl line of cordless tools. Looks interesting and will have to go to my local dealer and see if they have a demo unit to try. They seem to be priced right in line with other brands.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Check out B&D's 20volt weedeater and hedge trimmers. I was amazed how easily the hedge trimmer cuts through 3/4 limbs with ease.
    Gas weedeaters are to hard on my back. Again, the B & D shines. A battery and charger with each. Some make you pay extra.
    But, then, never tried costlier brands.

Blog Entries
    Who sells Stihl saws? All I can find on the net are used ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    It is a dealer network with retail rules enforced by Stihl. For some reason online sales don't seem to exist. Many times I've just wanted to buy a shirt or hat....I'm a big Stihl fan. When it comes to buying a power tool, you will need to call a dealer. Which saw are you looking at?

I tried the 18v ryobi lawn tools. Also tried a reel mower and a battery mower. Only have about .25 acres to maintain. My experience with battery tools a few years back was they sucked and I bought stihl gas tools and a Honda mower. I tried so hard to avoid using gas but in the end the battery tools never had the power needed to put clean cut edges. Also the lack of power meant it took forever to do the work as you had to linger over areas and make multiple passes. And lastly a set of batteries could not make it through my small property without needing to stop and recharge. That's a pain. I hate to do the lawn when it's super hot out, like 100 degree summer, so gas tools allow me to minimize the time it takes. Now I can do edging, week eating, mowing and blowing in under an hour and it looks better than the lawn service guys. Each their own but battery technology would need to greatly improve for me to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I tried the 18v ryobi lawn tools....battery technology would need to greatly improve for me to go back.
    I've been told it has and maybe someone with recent experience with Ryobi will chime in. I've been looking for Ryobi lithium-ion batteries to replace my old NiCads. What I've heard is that they're great, run full power until they die (which they do quickly once they're gone), hold a charge forever, etc. Looking for bundles of batteries with tools, which used to be a pretty good deal, is extremely confusing. It's difficult to get real specs on the batteries. They seem to have a lot of entry-level batteries with entry-level tools and packages that are barely better than buying things separately. The higher-capacity batteries don't come in the packages. I still want them - just trying to get the most useful for the least expense. And you guys might be talking me into trying electric lawn tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Stihl is only available from local, authorized dealers. They only permit "brick and mortar" sales. There are usually multiple dealers in a given area ... here's a link to the dealer locator: https://www.stihlusa.com/locator/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Stihl is only available from local, authorized dealers. They only permit "brick and mortar" sales. There are usually multiple dealers in a given area ... here's a link to the dealer locator: https://www.stihlusa.com/locator/
    Thank you,Jim.

And Stilh sets the price