Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cordless Lawn tools

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    I've been told it has and maybe someone with recent experience with Ryobi will chime in. I've been looking for Ryobi lithium-ion batteries to replace my old NiCads. What I've heard is that they're great, run full power until they die (which they do quickly once they're gone), hold a charge forever, etc. Looking for bundles of batteries with tools, which used to be a pretty good deal, is extremely confusing. It's difficult to get real specs on the batteries. They seem to have a lot of entry-level batteries with entry-level tools and packages that are barely better than buying things separately. The higher-capacity batteries don't come in the packages. I still want them - just trying to get the most useful for the least expense. And you guys might be talking me into trying electric lawn tools.
    I have converted all of my Ryobi One+ shop tools to Li-ion batteries and really like them vs NiCad. I am not aware of any Ryobi tools that are packaged with the 5-6 Ah battteries; seems like all tools are packaged with the small batteries. However, HD does seem to offer some 'buy-it-together' combo deals... Not sure how much of a deal it really is - - still looks like $99 for a 'big' battery.

Unless you have a very small yard, I'd recommend you stay away from the One+ line of lawn tools. The service factor on a cordless drill is maybe 0.1 or 0.2, compared to a line trimmer with a service factor of 0.8-0.9 (over any given battery's one-time charge). As stated above, my contention is that this high SF is just murder on the 18V batteries.

If you have more than a postage stamp yard and want cordless lawn tools, I'd look at the >40V units.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 04-14-2017 at 10:06 AM.

I have 2 of the Kobalt brand 40 volt tools-12" chainsaw and string trimmer-and both work well. One came with a free extra battery so I have 3 now. I have gas powered versions of both as well but sometimes a quiet, clean, no-pull-start tool is all I need for a small job. I can carry the saw in a backpack for when I do trail work.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I could see a string trimmer being okay for a small yard but a blower I can't see lasting in the fall if you have many trees. Summer my blower sees light use but when I need it in the fall and spring it gets a workout. I use it for lighter snow removal too. No way a battery would survive that.

Tell you one thing, when my wife can come into the garage, grab her B&D Battery Powered Weed Trimmer and not have to interrupt my shop time to get the darn thing running (last ran spring of 16) it's value becomes immeasurable.

Weekend Wood Turner friendly!

Tim, you make a good point...electrics tend to be easier in that respect. That said, quality gas powered tools generally start easily, even after sitting for a long time. (as long as they have fresh fuel) I learned my lesson on that years ago...at the expense of multiple purchases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Top of my list is Ryobi brand.
    I have a Ryobi string trimmer that uses their "one plus" series of batteries.

As with other battery powered string timmers I have owned (B&D, Weedeater) I have trouble with the trim line jamming. I buy rolls of trim line and wind it on the spool myself - perhaps I don't know the secret of how to do this!

Also, the smaller diameter trim line (0.080 inches) can become tangled around the upper part of the motor shaft (above the fins on the head) and it is very difficult to get it out of this area. Buy a size of trim line large enough so it can't slip up past the fins.

Lithium batteries are nice, but (in my town) local businesses like Batteries Plus Bulbs cannot rebuild Lithium batteries of any brand. They can rebuild Ryobi and most other brands of Nicad batteries for a cost that's less than new Nicads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I have a Ryobi string trimmer that uses their "one plus" series of batteries.

As with other battery powered string timmers I have owned (B&D, Weedeater) I have trouble with the trim line jamming. I buy rolls of trim line and wind it on the spool myself - perhaps I don't know the secret of how to do this!

Also, the smaller diameter trim line (0.080 inches) can become tangled around the upper part of the motor shaft (above the fins on the head) and it is very difficult to get it out of this area. Buy a size of trim line large enough so it can't slip up past the fins.

Lithium batteries are nice, but (in my town) local businesses like Batteries Plus Bulbs cannot rebuild Lithium batteries of any brand. They can rebuild Ryobi and most other brands of Nicad batteries for a cost that's less than new Nicads.
    I'm not certain but I think any weed Wacker can be converted to the single ~12" long piece of heavier plastic cutter. When it brakes you just slide another one in. Very simple to load. I,too, have struggled many times to wind string on the spool and it rarely feeds properly.

My wife just mentioned she wanted a powerful leaf blower. Any suggestions?

I have an Echo string trimmer and leaf blower, 54 volt. No complaints. The blower doesn't blow as hard as as gas, but meets my needs. Good battery life, gets the job done in one charge....

Jim .. you are correct, I work at a Polaris dealership and deal with off road enthusiasts everyday that only use their machines 2-3 annually. Many simply assume the cost to correct old fuel issues as part of the periodic trip to the mountains ..... Maintenance doesn't come naturally to all folks.
    Tim

My push mower started on the first pull this year. I keep the canned ethanol free gas in that. My walk behind took a few pulls but I drain it and run until it dies. During the season it only gets gas treated with Star Tron and Seafoam. Any gas left at the end of the season goes in a car. My small tools only get canned premixed gas and they start and run easy too. All that costs extra and takes a little extra time but is a bargain compared to the hassles others have.

I am all in on EGO battery powered lawn equipment. I bought the weed trimmer, blower, lawn mower, and I even have the snow blower. I bought it all at a store that sells Home Depot returns. Some of the stuff was brand new never used. I paid 25% of new for the snow blower never used. The only liquid fueled equipment I will have left is my diesel riding mower since I have three acres.

I ran my Honda lawn mower out of gas last fall, but it won't start now with fresh gas. I want to sell it, but it has to be running. Normally it starts on first or second pull.