Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collector Selection

If you're in Minneapolis area, in about two months I'll have a 3hp Powermatic model 75 two bagger for sale.

I noticed the new grizzly is 220 v that is currently a deal breaker.

How loud are these things? Imagine no louder than my Dewalt planer.

Please keep in mind that your dust collection system is going to be the most important tool in your shop because it's directly pointed at your personal safety. Put in the best system you can!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Lundmark View Post
    I noticed the new grizzly is 220 v that is currently a deal breaker.

How loud are these things? Imagine no louder than my Dewalt planer.
    Just about any 2 HP dust collector is probably going to draw more than a 15 or even 20 amp 110 volt circuit can handle safely. The motor plate on my current 2hp cyclone shows 20amps @ 110volt if I were to switch it... that would need a 30 amp circuit.

I strongly recommend to search out a way to make 220 happen rather than get an inadequate system. Before I had 220 in my shop I ran a 1.5 hp single stage with a garbage can separator, but it's performance was inadequate and disappointing.

Is anything louder than a dewalt planer? that thing kills me... your DC will likely be much quieter.

Saw a post a few days ago about someone buying a blower and motor from Penn state industries. If you are going to be adding a ssd and filters, that would be the less expensive way to go. 220 is good when talking blowers, as you need as big a unit as possible to get the best dc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Saw a post a few days ago about someone buying a blower and motor from Penn state industries. If you are going to be adding a ssd and filters, that would be the less expensive way to go. 220 is good when talking blowers, as you need as big a unit as possible to get the best dc.
    I almost pulled the trigger on a 2HP Penn State blower with SDD, but then I noticed a tiny detail. I was wanting to directly mount the blower on top of the SDD. But the rotation directions are a missmatch. From the top down, the SDD runs counter-clockwise flow (inlet on right). A top mounted Penn State DC250SEMB has flow running clockwise. This would not mesh well for separation. It would substatually mess up the vortex. If you are running the blower remote to the SDD, it won't matter much. Most blowers from bagged and canistered filters are counter clockwise when viewed top down in the top mounted config and would work with the SDD as a top mount.

Is the 2hp motor blower the only size offered by Penn State? Did a search, and found just the 2hp. If they offered a larger blower looks like they could sell a ton of them for upgrades.

Jim,

Agreed a 3hp blower would be a big seller, but they only sell the 2HP and probably not for long as they have exited the dust collection business.

Carl

They have a 1.5 and 1 HP as well, but no 3 HP. When I spoke with someone that works in the dust division, he indicated that the 2 HP blower is still a good seller, so that will likely be sold for a while but the rest is going away. Keep an eye on their site over the next month as they liquidate odds and ends of their other dust collection systems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Lundmark View Post
    No budge on price of Laguna.
    No loss there IMHO. The Laguna/JDS short cone format machines get reviews all over the map. I was going to say that if you are getting close to $800, just go a couple hundred more and get a Grizzly G0440 . . . then I checked the current price; oops.

Dust collection threads are always lively discussions. It is not inexpensive and it is sometimes hard to see the cost/benefit to your health. There are folks that go overboard with the math and scare you to death, there are folks like me who have developed health issues by doing too little too late and there are folks who are convinced that their Franken-collector is better than systems costing twice as much.

I'm afraid you'll have to do your research, sift through all the discussion and make your own "best" decision. I can say that by stepping up my DC and then stepping it up again later, I spent way more than a decent, well designed system would have cost. On the other hand, I would never tell someone to do nothing just because money was short. Get the best you can afford; if you have to upgrade later, at least you won't be wheezing as you assemble your new unit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you have that much to spend add a few hundrd bucks and get an Oneida system that includes all the pieces you need. Everything is designed to work together and is made in America.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    What does this model lack, a cyclone ?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/272619864312?_...75&_mwBanner=1

Blog Entries
    If a person was to buy one of these, would it do a great job if a cyclone was add and blow the fine dust outside? Then would there be a market to sell the bags to?
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 04-21-2017 at 12:47 AM.

I don't think there is much of a market for 1 micron filters and bags without a blower. Certainly adding a cyclone and blowing outside would work but I don't believe you'd make significant cash from selling the rest