Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector Selection

Dust Collector Selection

Hello All,

I am getting into this whole world of woodworking and am looking for some advice. My shop is well my garage and will remain so in this house. I have a dream of a dedicated shop some day....years away. This is a hobby for me. I turn out one to two pieces a year. With a new little one might be closer to one for a bit.

I am in the market for a dust collection system. Full support of wife on this one. I have done a lot of reading on this and am hoping to keep total install less that $800. This rules out some of the big cyclone units. I basically move all my tools in and out of "against wall" storage to use so this puts them within 10 feet of where I would have this collector located. Use for planer, jointer, table saw is required.

Right now I am trying to decide between these options. (Open to others by the way).

Used Grizzly 2hp single stage https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...071273656.html $275 maybe lower
    Add wynn filter $150
    Add upstream cyclone. Dust Deputy $180-$290 not sure which size or if there is a better option.
    Hoses and Fittings $100
    =$705-$815

New HF 2 HP single stage http://www.harborfreight.com/70-gal-...tor-61790.html $160 with coupon
    Add wynn filter $150
    Add upstream cyclone. Dust Deputy $180-$290 not sure which size or if there is a better option.
    Hoses and Fittings $100
    =$590-$700

Used Laguna 1.5 HP Cyclone https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...070385119.html 1.5 years old. $675 maybe lower
    Hoses and Fittings $100
    =$775

What do you all think? Are there better options I am not thinking of?
    Also how will these work with sanding that have small ports. Will I cavitate the blower by backing it up on its curve? Best to use shop vac connection for that?

Thank you all for your help.
    Jacob
    Last edited by Jacob Lundmark; 04-13-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Jacob, I went with the harbor freight 2hp collector and a wynn filter. I made a mobile base for the collector that has a 30 gallon metal trash can with a thien baffle on top of the trash can. No dust deputy.
    It works great as I move it from machine to machine in use.

I would definitely either go for the Laguna, especially if they take less. This one would be EASY to resell later. Very little risk.

Or use the Grizzly blower and a Super Dust Deputy. It works GREAT.

As for the Sander, use the shop vac and a small Dust deputy, its incredible how much of the dust it captures. I also use this for the over-table Dust collector/Guard on my table saw.

See this thread; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...direct-exhaust
    Last edited by Steve Cowart; 04-13-2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Update

I was just looking at the Thien baffle. Much cheaper option.

Trying to negotiate the Laguna.

Do people run a dedicated circuit for their DC?

No budge on price of Laguna.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Lundmark View Post
    Do people run a dedicated circuit for their DC?
    I would recommend separating it if at all possible. I was running a shop vac + planer/jointer/table saw for a while on a single 110v and would trip the breaker randomly (sometimes during startup, sometimes under load, sometimes no load after it had been on 20+ seconds, I never knewwhen/if it would happen). When I started upgrading my tools, I ran several new circuits. The DC is on its own (2HP Laguna PFLUX) circuit so I never need to worry about that issue again.

I moved from a 2hp with a SDD to a King 3hp cyclone with the short cyclone like that Laguna. Long story short, am now using 2hp with SDD system. Those cyclones with short cones are, in my experience, simply poor. New Laguna systems, P and C series with the longer cones, appear to be much better.
    Mike

I'd pass on the short cyclones... aside from generally poor separation, the filter rating on that Laguna may be less than desirable and is probably an unknown...

Is there a difference between the Grizzly and HF 2hp units? impeller size? I bet they're more or less the same so might as well get the new HF one for less.

I'd get the Oneida SDD XL with 6" inlet and the Wynn nano filter...

Jacob

I would recommend a Jet DC-1100VX-CK They retail in your price range. IMO they offer as much CFM as you can get with a 110 V motor. This has a canister type 2 micron filter. Dust deputies etc may slow down the clogging of a filter but the "Vortex" design seems to accomplish the same thing. The "vortex" feature is essentially a cyclone that slows down the air velocity, so that the larger particles fall into the collection bag. Mine has a dual hose connection, and I fitted them with blast gates. It stays connected to my bandsaw and to a hose that runs to my lathe. After 3 years with lots of fine sanding dust from the lathe it still operates like new. You clean the pleated canister filter by rotating a handle. I'm completely satisfied.

Doug

I believe the impeller sizes are 10.5" for HF and 12.75 for grizzly. Less certain on grizzly though.

10" on grizzly

I think the best buy on a dust collector is the Laguna 1.5 hp C Flux for just under $1100. A very good unit and more capacity than any mentioned. Would also have great resale value.

how much better is the cyclone on the cflux? the old lagunas at least were poorly reviewed. Id the cone change much between models?

Jacob,

The best performance would be from the Grizzly/SDD combo. Why do you state 10" for the Grizzly they advertise 12.75" (but that is the current version). They are on sale for $325 (so 275 is a bit high for an older unit). The 10" HF versus 12.75 Grizzly is significant both in the the extra CFM and static pressure it can produce. The SDD is a better match (per Oneida recommendations - XL requires much more CFM than a 2HP motor, 3HP up or greater than 850CFM). I was looking into the Thien baffle at one point but was discouraged at the almost 50% loss in airflow. A SDD is only about a 30% hit to airflow. I have talked with several SDD and SDD XL owners and they have seen very good results (objective separation performance data). Your Grizzly/SDD and good filter would make a nice system. For a filter, I have purchased 2 Donaldson torit p190817 or p190818 DFT ULTRA-WEB CARTRIDGE filters for ~$80 ea. You can find replacement companies that sell similar versions in the $80-$100 range. I believe it is ~250 SQ-FT of filter area each.

Regarding the Laguna, Toolmetrix did a comparison video of the old to the new and it did not make the previous version look too good. Also, as previously mentioned, they have a short cone making their performance less than desirable.

Hope this helps.
    Let us know what you do,

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I think the best buy on a dust collector is the Laguna 1.5 hp C Flux for just under $1100. A very good unit and more capacity than any mentioned. Would also have great resale value.
    That looks like a pretty good unit but over the OP's stated budget. Not sure about more capacity as Grizzly/Harbour Freight don't publish fan tables...

2hp/12.75" vs. 1.5hp/13.5"...

Either way you'd get better separation with a SDD XL, and have a better filter with a Wynn Merv 15 Nano vs. the Laguna Merv 12 spunbond type.

That said, in the end, I think if you are going to go to $1100, it's in for a penny, in for a pound might as well go to a 3 hp Oneida V series and just not worry about it ever again. HEPA filter, excellent separation and capability, a remote starter/magnetic switch, made in the US... for a few bucks more... do it right, enjoy your hobby.