Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saws in a til..

Saws in a til..

Face the teeth in, or face the teeth out?
    saw til.JPG

Blog Entries
    Two reasons to face them in:

1) Safety

2) When a saw is grabbed with the teeth facing away, the grip doesn't have to be adjusted to go right to work. This is especially useful if one has saw benches stationed right next to the saw till. Fast out, cut, fast to place it back in place.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In. But that's just me....

Blog Entries
    Jim,

Are your saws in a til?

Mine hang on pegs. I only have three that I use though.

Blog Entries
    Teeth in. Protect them as much as possible.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Well, they are in the til, now...
    DSCF0007.JPG
    May need to add a little more "lean back" though......

Moved the til up, and onto the benchtop, added a lot more lean back

side view.JPG
    smaller saws can hang on the outside, on wooden pegs. All teeth are pointing in.

You made a fatal mistake, though. That till should have room for about 5 times as many saws as that.

Then I would have had to buy that many more....16 saws seems to about the right amount. This way, I can keep the saw population in better control. And save the "saw money" for other needed toys..er..TOOLS.

10. Limiting till space to control saw population is about as effective as using the rythm method for birth control. It just means you'll have a pile of saws in the corner....

Be very careful Steven, I am told that after you get a certain number that they can reproduce uncontrollably.....

You and I are still in the safe zone I think, number wise, but I fear that we are both barely still in the safe zone......at least judging by what others on this site have written......but if I had a chance to get a Disston #12 cheap......

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    Limiting till space to control saw population is about as effective as using the rythm method for birth control. It just means you'll have a pile of saws in the corner....

Be careful, I have three fantastic daughters born using that method....
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 04-17-2017 at 9:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Be very careful Steven, I am told that after you get a certain number that they can reproduce uncontrollably.....

You and I are still in the safe zone I think, number wise, but I fear that we are both barely still in the safe zone......at least judging by what others on this site have written......but if I had a chance to get a Disston #12 cheap......

Stew
    My saws seem to keep reproducing anyways.

In all seriousness, I need to build a couple of saw tills, this is good encouragement for me to start when i get a couple of other projects done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post

Stew
    I can assure you , Steve does not live in the safe zone. I do believe that old tools call to him like a certain ring from the Hobbit / Lord Of The Rings series.

Find me Steve, I am so inexpensive, you just can't say no
    Then later, Steve is likely to be heard saying to himself

I know I only purchased one saw, so why do I have four more in my basement?
    They are like bunnies and you cannot stop them..... control is an illusion that the saws are whispering in your ear so that you will not see the took takeover until it is too late.

Like buying $1 D-8 thumbhole saws.....BTDT