Thread: Unable to edit Classified Post

Unable to edit Classified Post

I would appreciate help trying to edit a Classified Post I made last week. I need to delete the posted pictures, which I discovered were inaccessible to viewers, and enter new ones. I've searched for assistance and found a post which indicates that merely opening the Post will provide a ? link at the bottom of the frame which, when clicked, will allow editing of the Post. When I open my post, I can see no ? anywhere on the page.

Second, I have had problems posting pictures. They are jpg files so shouldn't be a problem. Is there a size limit to the pictures accepted? If so what is it? I couldn't find any statement of size limits on attachments, but maybe just missed it somewhere.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Second, I have had problems posting pictures. They are jpg files so shouldn't be a problem. Is there a size limit to the pictures accepted? If so what is it? I couldn't find any statement of size limits on attachments, but maybe just missed it somewhere.
    Randy, I don't know if there is a set limit on picture size. Note there are two "sizes" associated with image files. One is the pixel size, the horizontal and vertical dimensions in pixels. The second is the file size on the disk.

I did some experiments for another member recently with several files:
    #1 Pixels: 2592x1924 File size: 1719 KB ---- this one uploaded OK
    #2 Pixels: 2592x1924 File size: 2192 KB ---- this one did not

The reason two JPG images have such different file sizes is the nature of the JPG compression algorithm - pictures with large smooth areas will make far smaller files than pictures with a lot of "busy" detail. In the case of the two pictures above, the first had a smooth wall in the background and the second had a lot of tree branches and grass.

Personally, I crop all photos as needed then resize each one before uploading. Unless the picture has some detail which I feel important, I like to make the pixel size something fairly small like 640 or 800 pixels in the largest direction. Then I JPG-compress the image to limit it to 100k or less. This does several things: one, it lets me upload on another forum with a strict 100K file size limit. Second, it uploads and downloads faster over the internet. Compressing the JPG image this much can reduce the quality but no one will notice the difference.

BTW, with some trivial processing the two photos above ended up like this. In this case for comparison purposes I did not force the second one to less than 100K.
    #1 Pixels: 800x600 File size: 99 KB
    #2 Pixels: 800x600 File size: 153 KB

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Generally speaking, once you make a post you can open and edit it for 24 hours only. After that you would need to either make a supplemental post or ask a moderator to assist with what you want done.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

John,

What application do you use to reduce the resolution and crop the photos. In this case, it would have been difficult to crop the photos I took and still keep everything needed in the photo, but I certainly could have reduced the resolution without much loss to visibility.

Blog Entries
    John,

What application do you use to reduce the resolution and crop the photos. In this case, it would have been difficult to crop the photos I took and still keep everything needed in the photo, but I certainly could have reduced the resolution without much loss to visibility.
    Windows Live photo gallery is a free program that you can use to reduce image sizes on windows computers version 7 and newer. You can down load it for free from various sites.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The file size limit for jpg pictures is 107kb. Our forum software will attempt to reduce the size of files you upload but I don't know what the size limits are or if the limit might also be influenced by our server load at the time of uploading.

You can imagine how much bandwidth and server capacity it would take to receive and process a very large file, then multiply that by the number of people uploading at a given point in time. We also have some Members who do not have access to broad band Internet service and large files would be time consuming or just impossible for them to view.

I normally reduce the size of the pictures I upload to 800 by 600 pixels and I have never had a problem uploading file attachments at this size. It doesn't matter whether a picture is portrait or landscape mode, its the file size that determines whether vBulletin will accept the upload. We currently host hundreds of thousands of file attachments since we don't delete old threads or posts. If everyone uploaded 2 meg pictures the cost per person to participate here would be very expensive, there wouldn't be any free access at all.

If everyone here would be willing to contribute the suggested 50 cents per month we would could easily quadruple our bandwidth, purchase multiple hard drive arrays, host our own videos, provide multiple access points and provide a much more enjoyable experience with lots of new features. I can't attract enough advertisers to support these types of new features.....I have tried.

John,

Randy, I use Photoshop but it's kind of expensive. I also use Photoshop Elements which is cheaper. However, both of these would probably be overkill and maybe too complicated for simple resizing.

If you use a Windows computer, you can use the built-in Paint program.

If you haven't used Paint try these steps (Win 10):
    open the file,
    choose Resize,
    set to Pixels rather than Percentage,
    type in 800 (or whatever) in the first box,
    leave the check box underneath set to Maintain Aspect Ratio,
    click OK,
    then go to File Save AS and choose JPG.

If you don't have Windows and Paint, nearly any photo editing program will work. You can resize on-line for free also. A friend recommended a good one on another forum:

For folks who don't have image resizing programs, you might like the online resizing utility at www.picresize.com. You simply browse your computer for the camera image you want to resize, then click the Quick Resize text link (not the big yellow Continue button, unless you want to crop or apply special effects). This drops down another dialog box where you can choose your output dimensions (use a custom size of 600w x 800h or 800w x 600h depending on whether your photo is vertical or horizontal format) and a filesize limit (use 100Kb or less), then click the yellow, Quick Resize button. It will upload your image, manipulate it, and then display the starting size and the finished size, and offer you the options of viewing it or downloading it. Download it to your hard drive, then upload to the forum.