Thread: Captains desk

Captains desk

I'm wanting to make a captain's desk. The problem is I can only find one plan and to be honest, it's a weak attempt at one. Does anyone know where I could get a good plan of has anyone made one?

I don't know what a captain's desk is. From the lack of responses, I'd guess that's true of other Creekers. Can you post a pic of one?

I think it is the same as a Davenport. I've got an old book with some dimensions in it for a plain version, but haven't seen any plans for a more complex style with scrolled or turned front pilasters. I saw a really neat image of an ornate one with carved dolphins for the pilasters!
    Last edited by Franklin Ferrier; 04-14-2017 at 9:16 PM.

Here's an example.

IMG_1047.JPG

I noticed there is a old thread on here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Oak-Davenport that shows an interesting build.

I've been looking at things of this scale myself at the moment as I am trying to decide on what to build for a printer stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    Here's an example.

IMG_1047.JPG
    That's it. Would love to find plans for something like that.

Blog Entries
    I don't know what plans you found, but here is one that I found. Captain's Desk Here is a sketchup model

If you do a google search for Captain's Desk Plans you will find more links.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looked up a few plans. They all have them at 31 inches tall and 21 or 22 wide. Doesn't that seem really short?

I seem to recall the plans were in an old issue of FWW. You might have a look there.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Fecher View Post
    Looked up a few plans. They all have them at 31 inches tall and 21 or 22 wide. Doesn't that seem really short?
    I generally build desks 27-28" tall, with a horizontal top. That works well for somebody seated on a standard chair, with a keyboard of some sort sitting on the desktop. With a slanted top like in Jay's pic, maybe you want some other height. And, of course, if you don't want to use a standard chair, the height could be something else. For instance, you might want a bar-height stool, which would call for a taller desk. Or, maybe you want to stand at the desk, which would make it even taller.