Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carvex very early first impression. pendulum tt

Carvex very early first impression. pendulum tt

So I received my Pro 50 sander and decided to use the $50 coupon on a Carvex jigsaw with the accessory box- all the cutting plates, circle cutter, etc. I received it today.

I was excited to get it and I was in the shop so I stopped working to fire it up and make a few cuts, try out the dust collection (one reason I bought it, since I still work in people's homes) and I was prepared to be impressed.

I was not. It feels and sounds cheap. It rattles when it runs, the strobe light is a pure gimmick that adds nothing but I did like the dust extraction. I have a Bosch 1584vs that is at least 25 years old that still today runs like a fine sewing machine. For the money I spent, I expected something similar but this was not even close.

But perhaps the looseness of the drive piston (that's what's rattling) is the "pendulum action" they promote. I don't want to be overly critical after only 45 minutes of experiencing a new tool, but it did cause me to get out my Bosch and make the same test cuts I was making with the Carvex and the Bosch was better every time. But like I said, it is all only a very early first impression. And also the accessories are important to me, the different bases will be very useful for what I do. The chip extraction is a huge plus when you are cutting in someone's kitchen - no more holding a vac hose with one hand while you cut with the other hand. I would use the felt pad base a lot but it's not like I haven't already rigged up soft pads for my Bosch plate over the last 25 years.

I guess given Festools reputation, I was expecting to be wowed the moment I turned it on, and instead I was quite put off. It sounded like an old crappy rattling Black and Decker orange plastic jig saw someone gave me 40 years ago when they heard I was a carpenter. I'm very interested in learning from other Carvex owners about their experiences. And obviously when I get a chance I'll give it a much fairer trial, but so much for any 'wow' factor. There was none.

PS I have no idea how "Pendulum tt" found its way into the title and no idea how to remove it.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 04-13-2017 at 9:32 PM.

Does it have a brake?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Does it have a brake?
    Doesn't need one. The rattling stops as soon as you let go of the trigger. ( D handle) Much faster than my Bosch. You'll love it.

Dave, had a Bosch 1590EVS and now a Carvex. For the life of me I could never get the Bosch to produce a square cut in thicker wood (over and above 3/4). The Carvex cuts square almost every time (even on long curves in 8/4 Hard Maple) as long as you use one of the more rigid Carvex blades and adjust the support. This was about the only reason I switched. I agree the strobe is "meh". As you note the dust collection is significantly better. I did get the cordless barrel version of the Festool but wouldn't have thought that made a difference. Noise from both the Bosch and the Festool are about the same IME.

Yes, square cuts in thick stock is another reason I pulled the trigger on the Carvex. I'm wrapping up an intense project on a tight deadline and I'll be able to give the Carvex a more suitable run through in a week or two. Maybe I'll be 'wowed' with results rather than the smoothness of the motor.
    Thanks for the reply. I think in the end I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Doesn't need one. The rattling stops as soon as you let go of the trigger. ( D handle) Much faster than my Bosch. You'll love it.
    It shutting down rapidly is good news. Waiting for a stupid jig saw to stop cycling when you need to lift from a cut drives me bonkers

I have a barrel-style cordless Carvex. It was an amazing step up from the old Dewalt I was using, but I can't compare it to another 'expensive' jigsaw. Used only occasionally in a hobby shop.

The dust collection is good, but I occasionally miss the line because the vacuum hose gets caught up and its fairly stiff, so if I want a really clean cut I forgo the dust collection. I need to wrap my dust hose to get rid of the ribs, or suspend it,...

The zero clearance inserts also seem to work very well, when they are newish. If you frequently used the same blade they would be more convenient, but changing them out is a minor annoyance and they are 'Festool spendy' for a 1" square of plastic.

I bought the kit of extra bases also. The circle cutter works amazingly well.
    Mark McFarlane

I agree but I've just accepted it over the years. There have been many times when I tried to beat the stroke cycle by pulling up on the saw as quickly as I could only to be not quick enough and leave a blade mark on the finished piece.

OTOH, we are literally talking about 5 seconds.

When I do get around to putting this through it's paces in a week or two, I will be a harsh critic. The Carvex and the accessory kit is close to six hundred bucks. If I'm not impressed, it's going back even if it's at my own expense. I suppose it will be, I very rarely return a purchased tool. But I'm going into the process wanting and expecting to like it. For now I have to stay focused on work.

The Swiss made Bosch jigsaws were second to none. The newer Chinese variants are distant cousins.

A lot of Festool devotees prefer the older Trion to the Carvex myself included. Luckily, it's still available. Keep in mind that Festool has a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    The circle cutter works amazingly well.
    Good to know. Thanks. I do a lot with arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    The Swiss made Bosch jigsaws were second to none. The newer Chinese variants are distant cousins.

A lot of Festool devotees prefer the older Trion to the Carvex myself included. Luckily, it's still available. Keep in mind that Festool has a 30 day no questions asked return policy.
    yes my Bosch was made in Switzerland. Says it right on the saw. After 25-30 years of use and abuse, it still runs like a fine tuned sewing machine. I expected that from this very expensive saw. We'll see.

Dave

I hope your impression gets better. Maybe you just had a better jigsaw to begin with, and there's nothing wrong with being in that position
    I can't compare mine to a Swedish made Bosch, but I can tell you that it beats a 25 year old Craftsman hands down. I also have a Milwaukee, and a Black and Decker jigsaw, that are each probably at least 20 years old, and they are pure junk compared to a Carvex.
    Good luck with your project no matter which tool does the job for you.

PS
    I do have Bosch blades on my Carvex.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I think the problem with the Festool jigsaw is that is carries the Festool name. If it were part of a blind taste test I think the participants would simply say the dust collection is nice and maybe the light. That's the problem with it: very few innovations over other tools where other Festool products have crushed it. Oh, you also get the bonus benefit of twice the price.

I own the plug-it barrel Carvex with the full accessory kit and do not find it to be worlds better than my Bosch jigsaw nor an old Dewalt I still hang on to. It certainly isn't as noticeable a difference as the move from BORG sanders to Festool or going from a BORG-purchased circular saw to the TS75. And that's the rub: expectations.

You can easily switch the strobe light setting to either a steady light or off if you choose. Here's how:

https://youtu.be/qHdA9ykkWUE

Or you can see how it's done here as well:

https://youtu.be/6ZPlodgspwc