Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lathe associated leg problems

lathe associated leg problems

Has anyone on SMC had standing at the lathe for periods of time, cause any leg problems? Things like calf muscle trying to cramp up, or tendonitis? I have dealt with Achillies Tendonitis for the better part of a year, and it has come & gone. Never had any problems till about last September, but it seems to get aggravated with longer sessions at the lathe, even though I use anti-fatique mats at my lathe.

I have been working on a new hollow form the last couple of days, and today my calf muscle seems to want to cramp, but I stretch it out to prevent it.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger this may not mean a thing but...

I had issues for years with Achilles Tendonitis on a small scale (First thing in the morning I would hobble around a bit until things warmed up and I could move in a normal fashion.) but a couple of years ago it starting becoming a serious issue. Very painful and would basically immobilize me for several days when it flared up. I noticed when in bed my heels were very tender and would hurt when they touched the bed. (I sleep on my back.) I put a pillow under my calves and elevated my feet so my heels do not touch the bed and I have not had a flare up since. As an added bonus I not gimpy first thing in the morning.

I have also had cramping problems and drinking a lot of water plus a B-Complex has taken care of that issue for me. I would guess I average 2 to 3 gallons of water a day I drink it as a conscious act not waiting until I am thirsty.

I also have a constipation cure if anyone is interested. (Not really kidding here.)

Neal

Roger, I've had similar symptoms despite spending most of my time away from the lathe over the past year or two. The tendon pain got severe a few weeks ago and I was referred to a podiatrist by my primary care physician. His diagnosis was a bone spur and the treatment is orthotic inserts for my shoes in the hope of avoiding a fairly serious surgery. My tendon pain would flair up when I walked faster, with longer than normal strides, such as when I get one of my occasional weight loss / fitness urges. My leg cramps are infrequent and don't seem to concern my physician. I do get back pain from too much time at the lathe, but I have some significant back injuries from long ago.

My conclusion is that my symptoms have nothing to do with my lathe and I should avoid all fitness activities and spend more time at the lathe. Seriously, I would urge you to see your physician before it gets worse. In my case, I was told it wouldn't get better on its own.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Yes, I've had similar issues, but not necessarily for the same reasons. So take this with a grain of salt. (My achilles issues were from running too much)

Muscles are designed to contract and release, so they get a break. Calf muscles especially are for powerful, short term bursts, like jumping and running.
    Long sessions of standing prevent the release, so they cramp.
    Stretching helps. One of the best for calves is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8mD3RfxLr4 (yes - they hurt!)

Long hollowing sessions are also not good for posture. The load tends to be on the right leg, which holds your weight, as you lean over.
    The leaning also throws off your back off normal balance, possibly stressing muscles in your lower back and hamstrings. Stretch out both of those areas as well.

There's a lot of videos on the net, try out a few and see where you are sore - there's far too many possibilities to try and guess at that.
    Just be aware, that what you feel in your calf, may be related to issues further up - and you need to address all of them.

Ellesworth has a section in his book about how to keep your body from hurting, while turning.
    Lastly, if you can't resolve it yourself, find an expert. I'm not crazy about Chiropractors, but have had good luck with Physiotherapists.
    The problem is, they won't have a clue stress your body is under from woodturning....

(I learned a lot of this over the last few years after hurting back and working through the recovery.)

Early on in my turning I was having knee issues - actually the outside area of my knees and I discovered my stance was forced, in part because of the higher spindle height of my Jet 1642. I changed that and also decided folks in their late 60s did not need to do anything repetitive for long periods of time. Haven't had any issues since, so along with checking on the the heel spur issue, I would suggest taking periodic breaks.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Roger, when I first started turning (2004) I would stand at the lathe non-stop for 4 to 6 hours at a stretch and not think a thing about it. I think the excitement of turning kept me going. After a year or so I found that my knees seem to take the brunt of that and at times it was hard to move without feeling like they were going to buckle out from under me. Course, my feet started hurting around that same time and I had to figure something out. Also, I was not willing to accept it as a natural part of the aging process because I am NOT old like John!

What worked for me was to limit my turning time to an hour or two, then take a break for tea or water and just get away from the shop for a while - which could be for as little as 20 minutes. Over time I found that standing still was killing my feet and leaning over the bed (while hollowing) was killing my knees. I also found out that it really helped to change shoes! So, these days I change my footing as needed to comfortably shift my weight while turning a bowl, keep my knees from locking in place and make sure I don't stand in one position for very long. It has made a difference.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

If it is not a biological thing, then most likely it is due to posture. Just sucking in your gut a bit can make a huge difference. Only time I have any issues is when sanding where I stay more stationary. I do some Tai Chi stretches moving side to side and front to back, so I have to change stances. Stretching is always a good thing. Having a sliding headstock for bowl turning took away any back issues I had. Well, getting both hips and a knee replaced did a lot as well.

robo hippy

A lot of people have aches and pains from turning because they use the lathe at the height the manufacturer made it rather than the height that is right for their body. If you know a PT or industrial hygienist who understands ergonomics have them look at your setup. An inch or two one way or the other can make a big difference. Varying the height during a long session could also be beneficial (eg by having a 2" board you can step up onto.

Hard floors can hurt. I always have a pad underfoot -- even carry one to demos.

10. Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    A lot of people have aches and pains from turning because they use the lathe at the height the manufacturer made it rather than the height that is right for their body. If you know a PT or industrial hygienist who understands ergonomics have them look at your setup. An inch or two one way or the other can make a big difference. Varying the height during a long session could also be beneficial (eg by having a 2" board you can step up onto.
    Thanks Roger for the input! I do have my lathe at elbow height for me, and that keeps me from bending over and also holding my arms up to turn.

I went to see my podiatrist about one week ago as I had developed a very significant pain in my left heel upon walking. I had seen the podiatrist many years ago for a different matter and have been wearing orthotics ever since. His diagnosis was plantar fasciitis. Man, that can hurt. I am not positive that it has anything to do with standing at the lathe (I have a wood floor with sleepers) but it could. I got an injection of an anti-inflammatory, an Rx for an oral anti-inflammatory and instructions on proper stretching. Hoping that it runs its course.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

12. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    so along with checking on the the heel spur issue, I would suggest taking periodic breaks.
    Thanks John, I have had the heel spur checked on by my podiatrist [good on that one]. I have changed shoes.......at my podiatrist's encouragement. Actually, I have purchased 8 pairs of shoes since last labor day in hopes of relieving the pain..........finally, after a lot of research, I found a pair of New Balance 944V2's that have helped a LOT. I got a pair of Rockport walking shoes as well, and before those two, a pair of Asics gel cross trainers.........I switch between all 3, but find the NB 944V2's allow me to wear them most days when I am not in office attire, and can find some shop time.

As both you and Steve mention, I think I am going to chang my routine to take a break often. I am thinking an hour, then walk around, get some water, etc. will be good practice.

BTW, Steve really threw you under the bus with that "OLD" comment, huh?

Thanks Steve.... and all others, that have given input on my question. There seems to be lots of wisdom from this turning family.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-14-2017 at 3:52 PM. Reason: typo

What worked for me (for heel pain)

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I went to see my podiatrist about one week ago as I had developed a very significant pain in my left heel upon walking. I had seen the podiatrist many years ago for a different matter and have been wearing orthotics ever since. His diagnosis was plantar fasciitis. Man, that can hurt. I am not positive that it has anything to do with standing at the lathe (I have a wood floor with sleepers) but it could. I got an injection of an anti-inflammatory, an Rx for an oral anti-inflammatory and instructions on proper stretching. Hoping that it runs its course.
    Glen, et. al.,

I had terrible problems with the plantar fasciitis for years, with two injections that eventually wore off and lots of different exercises that didn't help much. I tried expensive custom orthitic inserts that didn't work either.

The pain has been gone for years now. Two things did it for me. One, the most important, is a simple stretching exercise - the Dr rightly insisted on this EVERY time before putting weight on the feet. While seated, simply extend the leg straight out and flex the foot to pull the toes back towards you. Stretch with vigor. Hold for for 10-15 seconds. This did wonders.

The second thing for me was to switch to a different type of footwear from Telic. A friend showed me these, lots of support, firm but spongy thick soles. I wear them every day, in the shop, to church, around the farm, in the woods, around the house. I've worn out several pairs so far. When I switch to other shoes for chain sawing or a formal event or something I can really feel it after a few hours. These have helped two friends with the same problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Telic-Dream-M.../dp/B00Q5MSYB4
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 04-14-2017 at 5:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Also, I was not willing to accept it as a natural part of the aging process because I am NOT old like John!
    Just to clarify - having spent significant time with Steve on at least three different occasions spread over a period of years I can assure all of you that while I have the edge in chronology Steve has rolled over his mileage odometer WAY more times than have I!!!! It ain't just the years, Steve.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I was having lower back problems & raised the lathe about 3". Made a big difference. This mainly showed up when bending over hollowing a bowl.