Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dream Shop Thread (Arizona)

If you commit to not using solvent based products, you'll have more "financial flexibility" with your fan/filter setup because you will not necessarily need the more expensive explosion proof fans. Three sided would be doable in that respect, too, because over spray is the issue, not VOC. And that can be more space efficient. You could even make the "wings" removable/foldable which can effectively increase your shop space for assembly of larger things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Joe, my brother lives in Phoenix and while he is not a woodworker, he has a shop that is extremely well designed and multi functional. In his instance, the shop is approximately 40' deep and 90' long, has 9' perimeter walls with a scissor truss, and four overhead doors that are installed with tracks close to the ceiling. The main shop is about 40' x 60', and adjacent to it is a 40 x 30' section that houses an office, lawn and garden storage area, and a household storage area.

If I were to take his basic floorplan and design a woodshop around it, I would make his office area my finishing room, and combine the lawn and garden and household storage room into a wood storage area (humidity controlled 7/24) as well as the air compressor location (low humidity inlet air means lower MC% in your compressed air). I would also have a small room near one end to house the dust collection system with an internal filtered return, yet an exterior access door to allow for easy removal of dust and shavings w/o having the dust float around the shop (and not have to listen to the system while in operation).

The main shop area would have the usual equipment laid out in the middle, with equipment along the walls and a nice area for assembly, etc. The 40' depth would allow ample walking space between the center island and the perimeter benches and equipment stands.

The scissor truss layout would allow you to suspend ductwork for both HVAC and Dust Collection along the center of the shop w/o losing overhead space. The ease of access to this ductwork would allow easy additions or changes in the future (and a Norfab snap-together type system may be ideal). The 9' perimeter walls would provide you with ample room for board clearance inside without making the shop stick out too much in the neighborhood, and the scissor truss would provide even more room inbetween the perimeter wall and the suspended ductwork.

HVAC would be roof mounted and ducted into the main ductwork. I would climate control the entire building, but would zone it so that I could easily block off the return from spray booth while spraying (activating an external filtered exhaust while spraying).

Here are a couple of views of the inside of the shop showing the scissor truss layout, and an external shot:

inside view 1.jpg

inside view 2.jpg

outside view 1.jpg

Well. I always thought it would be a good idea to have a " best ideas " section . where you could post a shop building idea and if 2 other people sponsored it .. it went to a special best idea board for people like Joe to read .. lol

I sheathed entire walls in my shop with 1/2" Plywood before I drywalled.. I have backing everywhere .. I love it .. It also seems like the building is quieter .. but I dunno

More thoughts.
    1) I will be running conduit for TV and ethernet from the main house to the shop. What else should I run? Perhaps another unused conduit?
    2) I will have a big compressor in the shop, and I'd like air in the garage which will be separate from the shop. I would like to run an airline underground. Thoughts on how to do this?
    3) Anything else I should consider running to the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    More thoughts.
    1) I will be running conduit for TV and ethernet from the main house to the shop. What else should I run? Perhaps another unused conduit?
    2) I will have a big compressor in the shop, and I'd like air in the garage which will be separate from the shop. I would like to run an airline underground. Thoughts on how to do this?
    3) Anything else I should consider running to the shop?
    An spare, empty conduit is always a good idea.

I used 1" pex (200' run) buried for my air lines and have been quite pleased. It is installed so that it drains to one end where I have a t fitting and a drain valve.

Water in the shop is nice too.

I would run one or more extra conduits for future use. You talked about the floor earlier. In my new shop which I'm starting shortly (26 x 36) I am putting it on a crawl space so I have access to running wires and dust collection easily from underneath. The floor also is easier on the back than concrete. Good luck.

Red
    RED

I have a new idea for running dust collection in the floor. What about pouring troughs or trenches in the floor. maybe 10" deep and 10" wide. One trench like 4-5 feet from each sidewall running the length of the shop and another down the middle. I would have a 1.5" lip on each edge so I could cover the trench with 2 by material. When I need to bring duct up I would just tap into the branch and cut a hole in the deck cover.

Thoughts?...joe

Here is a pic of what I'm thinking of. This is from a brewery. From the website is looks like they put the form for the trench in and poured all at once. http://thegoodbeercompany.blogspot.c...struction.html

trench drain.jpg

I have a new idea for running dust collection in the floor. What about pouring troughs or trenches in the floor. maybe 10" deep and 10" wide. One trench like 4-5 feet from each sidewall running the length of the shop and another down the middle. I would have a 1.5" lip on each edge so I could cover the trench with 2 by material. When I need to bring duct up I would just tap into the branch and cut a hole in the deck cover.

Thoughts?...joe
    Folks have done this...it's a great idea if the spacing works out.
    --

For the 3 phase panel and wiring do I need to find an industrial electrician or will any licensed electrician suffice?

For the 3 phase panel and wiring do I need to find an industrial electrician or will any licensed electrician suffice?
    I'm thinking that some folks will have the experience you need if the do commercial work as part of their trade...common in restaurant, etc.
    --

I am not familiar with some of the graphics on your plan so my comments may already have been factored in.

If I was designing a dream workshop, I would include a refrigerator, a sink, and a toilet. My own shop is smaller and much more down-scale than what you are planning but I have those items. I keep my CA glue, epoxy, dykem and a couple of cervezas in the fridge. Having a

I would also consider having electrical "drop" lines coming down from the ceiling for your power tools. That keeps you from stumbling over cords on the floor.

I have the final perimeter of the shop. The desire to make the shop and guest house look like more of the same house drive the complex outline of the shop. It will be 2356 sq ft. Here is a pic. Most of the ceiling will be two main vaults. One 14'1" at the peak and the other 13'9". The sidewalls are 9 ft high.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You need a few walls to make;

1. toilet room

2. finishing room

3. hand tool/assembly room

4. office/design space

5. machine room with power and dust control

6. wood storage room

7. utility room

These will have separate lighting, hvac and access requirements

Start to develop these spaces then put them together.

Mike, what do you think of a raised floor idea?
    I'm planning that on the present shop I am building for my new home. I love the idea of running DC and electrical under the floor. Of course, you have to plan for how to get the heavy equipment onto the floor. Not the easiest task in the world, but not like building the pyramids either.

I would go with a wider shop than 30 feet. My planning shows that the width is definitely an issue with placing large machines. Having that extra 10 feet would give you tons of options.

Doing similar spray room with explosion proof fan in mine. Should be a great addition.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-29-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.