Thread: Butcher block table build: need advice on how to proceed

Butcher block table build: need advice on how to proceed

Hi guys,
    The top has been built about a month. It's maple, 3 1/2" thick x 20" wide x 30" long.
    Today I finished roughing out the legs - they are poplar, 3 1/4" square.

I'm going to mortise the top and cut tenons on the legs. The mortises will be either 1 1/2" or a full 2" deep. I'm leaning toward 2". They will be 1 1/4" wide and 3 1/4" long. That gives me plenty of shoulder. Here's where I need advice.

1. The top of the table will be 36" above the floor. The tenons are stout 1 1/4" wide x 3 1/4" long x 2" "deep"/high). But those legs are long - 32 1/2" from the tenon shoulder to the floor. But to help rigidize it, I'll connect the legs with an apron all the way around - 3 1/4" wide and 1" thick. Do you think this design will be rigid enough to prevent racking when someone uses the butcher block to chop up veggies, etc?

2. I can't decide on the best approach for building the base. Please give me your advice. I have two options: Option A - cut the mortises in the top, then build the base "downward" toward the floor from there. Option B- build the base (incl cutting the tenons), then mark/cut the mortises to match how things actually fit up. I'm leaning toward Option B, because it will allow me to align the mortises to match how the base actually comes out (slightly out of square, or whatever small errors might creep into the glue-up/assemble process).

Thanks for giving me a hand guys.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-20-2017 at 7:57 PM.

I would put a shelf down low to put bowls and what not on. This will keep the legs together and make the table stronger.

Don't mortise the top. Float it with cabinet maker's button and put the shelf in your design as mentioned. I have a butcher' block that I made like this well over 12 years ago and it is a rock. Make a stable base and float the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Don't mortise the top. Float it with cabinet maker's button and put the shelf in your design as mentioned. I have a butcher' block that I made like this well over 12 years ago and it is a rock. Make a stable base and float the top.
    Thanks Bill. I'm planning a slatted shelf - trying to figure out how to make it rigid enough. If the apron will keep this thing from racking, then the slatted shelf doesn't have to be rock solid. Not sure yet.

Chris, any chance you could post a picture or steer me to one of those buttons? I'm not familiar with them. Thanks. Edit: Ahhh, I found that technique. Thanks Chris. I'd love to see a picture of your butcher block....
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-20-2017 at 9:11 PM.

Like Chris Fournier said, don't mortise the top. You'll introduce wood movement issues if you do that and have an apron and/or shelf. By not mortising, you also greatly simplify the process because you can just build the base and plop the top on it afterwards. Just make sure you account for wood movement when attaching the top.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what it is called, but the butcher blocks I've seen have the legs put into the block much like a handle is installed into a hammer head.

On the blocks I've seen, the wedge is blind. So you pound the legs in and basically have a hell of a time trying to remove them.

Listen to Chris and Davis above (posts #3 & 5)-- you can EITHER mortise into the top , OR include an apron, but if you do both, you will be creating wood movement issues (the apron will not move the same as the top, since its grain is running horizontal)

I would skip the mortises in the top. The apron will provide more stability/anti-racking. And be sure to use buttons or something to allow for wood movement between the apron and the top. A shelf that sits on its own small apron would also add stiffness to the structure.

I think it's good.
    Unless you have a giant robot with 8 ft knifes chopping your veggies
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Thanks everyone. Eliminating the mortises will simply things. Looks like one of those times where I couldnt see the forest for the trees.

Many thanks,
    Fred

Andrew: I love your giant robot!

If the top is floating then it can be flipped when the top side becomes dished and worn.