Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JDS multi router

JDS multi router

I am sure this has been touched on before, but if there is any one who currently uses a multi router from JDS I would like to hear from you. I need to cut 3" deep mortises and tenons. Besides the length of the cutter, I was wondering how well the machine handles this deep of a cut and if the templates would be available. Custom made perhaps? Debating between a mill and multi router. Thanks in advance.

I have had my MR for years. The depth of the mortise or length of the tenon is not a function of the "template". Templates are used for the width and thickness of the tenon/mortises. I have not used my templates in years. I just use floating tenons. Way easier and way more flexibility. You can easily and quickly set up the MR to make any size mortises/tenons.
    The depth will be limited my the length of the router bit you use.
    I use my MR for things you would never guess.

In case you don't know, you can build your own horizontal router mortiser and save about $2500. That was powerful motivation for me to design and build one:

You can find a free SketchUp download of my first generation of the machine at the link below. That machine is now about 6 years old, has made thousands of mortises, and is still working fine even though it's made from MDF and maple runners. It cost less than $100 to build.

A horizontal router mortiser will make mortises of any size, limited only by the length of the router bit. FYI, I use long length center cutting end mills; they are much cheaper. The machine will also make integral tenons, dowel holes, rabbets, raised panels, and more. The tilting table version shown above is perfect for chair makers or any other application where you need to make single or compound angled mortises.

https://sites.google.com/site/jteney...outer-mortiser

The JDS Multirouter is a great machine; just too rich for my blood.

John

So, John...

I don't want to hijack Ron's thread, but what improvements have you made to the newest generation of your mortiser? Maybe you could start a new thread in the tool building forum?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have a multi router, for 3" mortises I would want a slot mortiser with a real motor, not a router..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I have a multi router, for 3" mortises I would want a slot mortiser with a real motor, not a router..
    +1. I have a 2" long 1/2" diameter pattern bit that I use sometimes. It can chatter sometimes. I can't imagine using a 3" bit on a router. I am not sure then make a 3" bit. I would get a used hollow chisel mortiser on CL. I see them all the time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    +1. I have a 2" long 1/2" diameter pattern bit that I use sometimes. It can chatter sometimes. I can't imagine using a 3" bit on a router. I am not sure then make a 3" bit. I would get a used hollow chisel mortiser on CL. I see them all the time here.

It's not as scary or hard as you might think. I use two or 3 flute center cutting end mills, and run the router at lower speed. I've cut mortises more than 3" deep w/o problems. It's all about technique when using a router mortiser, whether mine or the Multirouter. Light zig-zag cuts, one way then the other. The resultant mortises are just as smooth and straight as shallow ones cut with a shorter bit, and no comparison with the ratty cut you get from a hollow chisel mortiser.

John

I looked at the JDS machine before buying the Grizzly G0540. The 540 is inexpensive compared to the JDS, and works well for me as a slot mortiser. I use 1/4" milling cutters to make mortises in 3/4" boards. It does NOT have an adjustable angle on the table, but does have stops so you can make matching mortises. I added a wood table top, and make pencil marks on it to move from one piece to the next.

I've had a MR for 20 years, I couldn't do without.
    That said, I don't know of any router that could take the side thrust of a three inch cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I've had a MR for 20 years, I couldn't do without.
    That said, I don't know of any router that could take the side thrust of a three inch cut.
    Mike, you are missing the point. You only take 1/32 to 1/16" cuts with a router mortiser. Watch my video and you will see. Operated that way, there is essentially no side load on the bit and it doesn't chatter, and that allows you to cut very deep mortises.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    So, John...

I don't want to hijack Ron's thread, but what improvements have you made to the newest generation of your mortiser? Maybe you could start a new thread in the tool building forum?

Rick, I offer the machine shown above for sale so I'd rather not detail all the improvements I've made to the original machine beyond what you can easily see in the photo. I will say that the first machine I made, as shown on my web page where you can download a SketchUp model for free, is alive and well after about 6 years and having cut thousands of mortises. For the average hobby woodworker both machines will last a lifetime, and anything that may eventually wear is easily and cheaply replaced.

John

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Mike, you are missing the point. You only take 1/32 to 1/16" cuts with a router mortiser. Watch my video and you will see. Operated that way, there is essentially no side load on the bit and it doesn't chatter, and that allows you to cut very deep mortises.

John
    Even a 1/4 inch cut 3 inches from the base of the router will wear out bearings faster than you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Even a 1/4 inch cut 3 inches from the base of the router will wear out bearings faster than you can imagine.
    So you're saying that a Multi-Router has longer bearing life than John's horizontal mortiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So you're saying that a Multi-Router has longer bearing life than John's horizontal mortiser?
    The opposite. I keep extra bearings around for the Bosch that sits in my MR.
    Nothing eats up router bearings faster than a Multi-Router.
    Last edited by Mike Hollingsworth; 04-19-2017 at 10:55 AM.