Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JDS multi router

I use a Milwaukee Router in mine and would agree, its harder on the router.. There are companies that make aftermarket bearings which are far superior to the stock ones for PC routers. I read about it on a CNC forum where they where using 7518 routers and having bearing problems from similar forces.

I think high end bearings would help but don't use it enough to bother ..

I don't make that many really deep mortises, but a fair amount in the 2" range. I take light cuts and, so far, I haven't had a bearing give out. I used a 20 year old PC 690 router with a lot of abuse already in my original mortiser for about 5 years, then moved it over to my new model until about a year ago when I swapped it out for a variable speed Sears router so I could run vertical raised panel bits.

John

The manual and videos provided with a Leigh FMT jig recommend to plunge cutting adjoining holes to the desired mortise depth. Then move the router side to side at the full depth desired to clean out the remaining material. This minimizes the side forces that the router is subjected to. If you do this with a CNC, horizontal router, or Multi Router, I think your bearings will last much longer. The higher quality bearings should also help.

Charley

You would have to bores holes that nearly completely overlap for that to be a good idea. Full depth sideways routing will apply a lot of stress to both the bit and bearings. And if you engage and disengage the bit will chatter as it removes material and then hits the C/L of the next hole. On the other hand, if you route in a zig zag pattern, from one stop to the other, and take off no more than about 1/16" per pass, the stress is minimized on both and the cut will be smooth and consistent. Go try both ways and see.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Rick, I offer the machine shown above for sale so I'd rather not detail all the improvements I've made to the original machine beyond what you can easily see in the photo.
    John
    So John what is the price for a machine totally built?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006