Thread: GPS App for Android

GPS App for Android

I'm new to a smart phone.
    Need a recommendation for a Android GPS app.
    Is it possible to use a smart phone GPS without using data? I use a prepaid phone so data usage is a concern.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I've got both Navfree GPS World and MAPS.ME installed on my android tablet for travelling. I've used MAPS.ME in Australia, USA, Europe, India, Argentina, Chile and New Zealand and it all worked perfectly for finding my way around. However it didn't work so well as a turn by turn vehicle GPS replacement, I've used Navfree GPS for that.

If your phone has a true GPS for location both these apps work entirely offline, you just download the maps for the country you are in, best using wifi on your home network before you start. If the phone uses only the cell network as a location finder then they don't behave so well.

I have a prepaid Tracfone and it doesn't need data for gps I did come with maps

If you're looking for a turn-by-turn GPS app, I use one called Navigator which seems to work just fine and doesn't use data, it just downloads the map and references that.

There is a map app that comes with the Android OS, that is what I use.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Sygic. Downloads the maps so no data used. Free version is all I've ever used though you can pay for extra features. Be-on-Road also downloads maps and sometimes I prefer to use it. It's free
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I've used several, but HERE is one that I've used in the US and several countries abroad.
    You just download the offline maps and it will allow searching and turn-by-turn while offline.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Thanks for the info.
    Yes, turn-by-turn GPS app is what I am looking for.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    Yes, turn-by-turn GPS app is what I am looking for.
    The one that comes with the Android OS gives turn by turn. It uses Google Maps.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

The phone comes with access to Google Maps for free, but there is some data use with it. However, you can pre-load areas you'll be in while on WiFi to help mitigate some of that data usage. While I'm not an Android user, I do have the TomTom app for my iPhone which provides a more traditional GPS solution with maps local on the device. I suspect it and other similar apps are available in the Google PlayStore for Android devices. Once Google Maps got as good as it is, I honestly stopped using the dedicated app to free up the space...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    If you're looking for a turn-by-turn GPS app, I use one called Navigator which seems to work just fine and doesn't use data, it just downloads the map and references that.
    Yes, this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avigator&hl=en