Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmented Turning

Segmented Turning

This is my latest Segmented turning. I've included several elements that I've used in other turnings. Hope you like it. it's about 8" Diameter x 15" High
    DSCF1944.JPGDSCF1947.JPGDSCF1946.JPG
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Wow! Absolutely stunning. Any pictures of your glue up process? I'd be curious to see how you do it.

Wow wow wow!!!!!!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Really stunning.. beautiful work..

Gotta be one of the nicest pieces I've ever seen. Great work

It is a complex and beautiful segmented piece well beyond my skill level. The bulb of the finial appears a bit plump. A small thing indeed. Truly fine work.
    C&C WELCOME

Awesome!!!!

Great piece! Can you provide some insight on how you made the feature (middle) ring? It looks like the diamonds are going into each other.
    Don

That is a lot to take in. Great piecing, great shape, great finish, great overall.............. A truly striking piece and excellent workmanship.

Very nice work. looks great.

11. What a marvellous piece! If you could get the exposure worked out in your pic, it would show it's beauty in an even better light! Truly exquisite!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Don Jarvie Great piece! Can you provide some insight on how you made the feature (middle) ring? It looks like the diamonds are going into each other.

Don, I started with about 14" long square sticks. The brown is walnut which is 3/4" Sq. The red is Cedar which is 3/8" Sq and the white is maple, also 3/8" Sq. After all of the pices were glued up, I trimmed the outside half of all the white squares and the two walnut squares on the ends. I used calipers to make sure the pices were uniform in height and width. Then I cut the glue-up into about 7/8" Lenghts. and cut the ends of each block at a 15 deg angle. I don't have any pictures, but I'll take some the next time.
    Last edited by Ed Morgano; 04-16-2017 at 9:20 AM.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Beautiful work, Ed!
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Very beautiful!

Speechless!!!
    Words do this piece and your work no justice.
    Thank you for sharing with us.