Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next handplane?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Hey Ted, where do you live? if you are in Ohio, you can try some of my planes to get a feel for what you like. I know a few other people in the area who I am sure would echo that statement.

If you can find an inexpensive #4, that is probably a good addition, but, I would look first for something larger like a #7 or even a #6.
    I will echo the statement, if you are in the vicinity of Southwest Washington you are welcome to come by and test drive any of my planes.

My thought is if you are using power equipment to do some of the work a long plane isn't as important. A smoother like a #3 or #4 might be more suitable to your needs.

The answer might be found on what situations you are facing. Are you currently having difficulties with edge joining pieces when gluing?

Then a longer plane like a jointer might be what you need.

Do you have small areas in need of smoothing the #5 isn't able to work?

Then a shorter plane may be the answer.

When all is said and done, many woodworkers get by with a three bench plane strategy. The jointers could be anything from a #6 to a #8. The middle is almost always filled with a #5. The smoother is usually a #3 or #4 though some will opt for a bigger #4-1/2 or a smaller #2.

Since you have restored a #5, it should be easy to find a used #4 and restore it. Just be careful to buy one that is all there and isn't just something made to look like a woodworking tool.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-18-2017 at 12:43 AM. Reason: wording, *for some reason
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    This hand plane business is indeed a slippery slope. They multiply like rabbits.

Hi Jim,

Good point about setting up individual planes instead of replacement irons, because it is actually cheaper. The problem in the small towns in West Texas, is finding almost any used plane. I have found a very limited number, and did get a good deal on a few I found, not as good as the deals you have gotten, but pretty good by my standards. Most of the ones I have found were late enough models that I wasn't very interested in them, but I did find a few type 10s to type 14s a few years ago where the seller had bought out a collection from an estate sale. Almost all of the ones I have seen were at flea markets and antique shops. In all the garage sales I have been to since moving here (but I don't go to very many), I have seen a grand total of one bench plane. (When about your only option is to buy planes on Ebay, it isn't cheaper to buy the whole plane...and unfortunately that is my main option. I seldom even see any listed on d on Craig's list.)

That said, I think for most Neanders, complete cheap garage sale planes in desirable types is probably the way to go, so for most Neanders, I think your point is a very good one.

I was thinking that one of the guys here had posted about buying new replacement irons from a big box store for $3. I may be wrong on that, and obviously they weren't Stanley irons, but that was what I was remembering. Still, all in all, I think you are right. If you can find them it is much better to have dedicated planes set up and ready to go. I don't have enough planes yet to be completely set up that way, but that is the direction I want to go also, and I am getting closer. Come to think of it I do have a junker or two that I could make into scrub types, so I may be closer than I was thinking.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-17-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Jim,

Good point about setting up individual planes instead of replacement irons, because it is actually cheaper. The problem in the small towns in West Texas, is finding almost any used plane. I have found a very limited number, and did get a good deal on a few I found, not as good as the deals you have gotten, but pretty good by my standards. Most of the ones I have found were late enough models that I wasn't very interested in them, but I did find a few type 10s to type 14s a few years ago where the seller had bought out a collection from an estate sale. Almost all of the ones I have seen were at flea markets and antique shops. In all the garage sales I have been to since moving here (but I don't go to very many), I have seen a grand total of one bench plane. (When about your only option is to buy planes on Ebay, it isn't cheaper to buy the whole plane...and unfortunately that is my main option. I seldom even see any listed on d on Craig's list.)

That said, I think for most Neanders, complete cheap garage sale planes in desirable types is probably the way to go, so for most Neanders, I think your point is a very good one.

I was thinking that one of the guys here had posted about buying new replacement irons from a big box store for $3. I may be wrong on that, and obviously they weren't Stanley irons, but that was what I was remembering. Still, all in all, I think you are right. If you can find them it is much better to have dedicated planes set up and ready to go. I don't have enough planes yet to be completely set up that way, but that is the direction I want to go also, and I am getting closer. Come to think of it I do have a junker or two that I could make into scrub types, so I may be closer than I was thinking.

Stew
    Howdy Stew,

One of the things about looking for tools at yard sales and such is the folks looking to sell things on ebay get there early.
    Pawn shops are also a good place to look. Often they have planes at high prices but will come down. The longer it has been sitting on their shelf, the more they will lower the price.

If one wants to get serious about rehabilitating a few planes one needs to buy some junk. Make sure you buy it at junk prices. This is one way to get a supply of spare parts.

The $3 'Buck Brothers' replacement blades seem to be a thing of the past. I haven't seen them at HD or Lowes. They are not listed on their site either.

Wish I had bought a couple more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    I bought an iron from Home Depot one time. It is a decent iron.

Blog Entries
    I love having my jointer plane and agree that this is what I would add next to Ted's collection. As a side note, if Ted is not getting 90+% of the jointing done with his planer sled he may want to troubleshoot the sled. Mine is the fairly basic Keith Rust version and it has served me well for many years for the investment of a few hours to build. I would consider this design as a minimum for a valid planer sled that would assure expected results. a piece of plywood with screws in it or wedges hot-glued in place will do in a pinch but, I wouldn't want to try to use that regularly. Just food for thought.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good wisdom above....Agree with the recos.
    Don't overlook the #6 in between foreplane,,Easier to handle than a #7 and can do most of your jointing chores.
    Jerry

First of all, thanks to those who offered to let me try their planes. I am in Connecticut, so not local to either of you, but I appreciate the thought.

After reading the advice here, I started perusing eBay for a # 7 or 8. As noted in this thread, the 8s were much less common, and I was outbid at the last moment on the few available.

After a day or two I ended up being the high bid on a number 7 that I have IDed as a type 9 (1902-07). Feeling great about that, I fell into eBay's trap and also picked up a number 4 that was listed in the "you might also like this" area after I sent payment for the first one. The 4 is a type 19 ('48-'61), so neither of them are in what I have read is the sweet spot of types 10-15, but they are in solid user condition, and I am not starting a museum.

The shipping ended up being faster than expected, and they both arrived yesterday, so I came on here to provide the update, and thank everyone for their help.

The older 7 has some great patina, so I just cleaned off any loose grime, and plan to use it as is. The 4 has patina on the outside of the body, but the cap looks to have been cleaned up, and the inside japaning may have been redone as well, so I won't worry as much about keeping that one "original". Neither look like they will requre much if any lapping of the soles.

I ordered pm-v11 replacement blades for both from LV, but they won't arrive until next week. The original blades look to be in serviceable shape, and one has been ground with a significant camber, so with some touching up, I will be able to swap them in for various purposes as suggested.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction! I can't wait to finish tuning these up and get them to work!

Edit: forgot to post a pic! Also, I apologize for being MIA from this thread after the first few replies, I thought I had notifications turned on, but apparently not. I did read everyones input, and very much appreciate it.

Planes.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Kennedy; 04-22-2017 at 9:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Those both look like good workers Ted.

People like the 'sweet spot' of Stanley manufacturing enough to make type 9 and earlier planes very good deals. In the last decade it would hard for me to recall any time when a frog adjustment was needed other than when a plane was being reassembled.

jtk