Thread: Lucky, lucky, lucky

Mid - Michigan - 25 miles east of Lansing

Lucky, lucky, lucky

I'm thinking I must be the luckiest guy in the world. Just got back from a week at the John C Campbell Folk School in N Carolina (y'all). What a great experience! Spent an entire week (12 hrs/day) turning platters. The instructor was Andy Dunning. Andy has been turning quite some time. He is the president of the NCarolina Woodturning Symposium's board of directors. He's been an ass't instr at the school and has taught His own classes there since 2014 - and I will vouch that he's an excellent instructor.

We (class of 9 plus 2 instrs) did traditional rims and a modified rolled rim and several different bases. Cool, cool designs which allowed us to embellish or add as we desired.

I had had never done platters (always have done pens, spindle work and bowls). So learning a new type was cool (and hard, too!) but I had developed some poor habits that needed correction which Andy and asst instr Beau Bunn were super helpful in doing!

I'll post some pics soon because we tried to do finishing but there was just too much dust to get it right (and we were finishing outside!). Just had to get a note in and a plug for JCCFS, Andy and Beau. I big time recommend this place for anyone east of the Mississippi. Or west.
    Last edited by Ted Prinz; 04-15-2017 at 11:07 PM.

It is Andy Gunning and yes he is a fun guy and an excellent instructor. He assisted Frank Penta until Frank recently decided to quit teaching at JCC . Great place!!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Mid - Michigan - 25 miles east of Lansing
    Oops! My bad. Thanks for the correction, John. Boogered up Beau's name, too. Is my face red? Fixed both.
    Last edited by Ted Prinz; 04-15-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Good fun! I love the atmosphere there too. And visiting the other buildings - blacksmithing, fiber arts, carving, paper crafts, pottery...

JKJ

Ted - Thanks for bringing this venue to my attention. I had no idea a place like this existed. It's been fun paging through their website and learning about the activities that take place there.

Having been there many times as a student in various mediums and teaching, I honestly don't think there exists another venue with the relaxed creative atmosphere of JCC.

Left click my name for homepage link.

oh i seriously doubt you attended as you have no proof
    pics man pics
    we need definitive proof

I was lucky, too. I was there for a deep hollowing class 3 years ago, and being able to turn all day for 5 days made my whole life different. I used to teach silversmithing, gemstone cutting and jewelry repair at a place up further north in NC (WildAcres Retreat) for the Eastern Federation Of Gem & Mineral Societies. Very similar attitudes and great scenery and camaraderie. If you get a chance to partake in JCCFS have a wonderful week of learning and sharing. I'd love to go back soon.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.