Thread: Is a cupped tracksaw track normal?

Is a cupped tracksaw track normal?

Bought the Dewalt, partly because I saw nothing about twisted tracks like was happening sometimes with the Makita. When I set it up, the saw rocks on the track all the way down the the length. The base/shoe on the saw is flat. I've isolated it to a 3/32" cup down the length of the track. Regardless of which direction I want to cut, the saw does not sit flat on the one (same) side.

The track wont flatten out so that the saw wont rock. Unless I clamp it.

I only found one hit on this topic when I googled it, which makes me wonder if I'm doing something the wrong way.

I'm frustrated - this is a brand new tool, right out of the box. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Fredk

I have all three DeWalt tracks, 106, 59, and 41 inches long. None of mine do this. I think you got a bad one, unfortunately. I'd try and get it returned and get one that works right.

Across the width of the track? No I would say that's not normal. That would mean the extrusion was warped and defective. You couldn't get a square cut.

Thanks guys. Thought maybe I was missing something.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-15-2017 at 10:02 PM.

I quit buying Dewalt stuff a few years ago after EVERY DEwalt product I had broke. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    I quit buying Dewalt stuff a few years ago after EVERY DEwalt product I had broke. This doesn't surprise me at all.
    Well Fred, this is the first Dewalt tool I've ever owned. It was $500 and I expect them to make it right. IMO, I shouldn't have had this aggravation to begin with. But it is what it is.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    A contrasting experience: I have quite a number of DeWalt tools and all of them have been good and reliable over time. Many of them are the 20V cordless tools, including a blower and hedge trimmer. I have three 5 ah batteries, as well as some lesser batteries.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the same issue--convex top surface allowing the saw to rock side to side-- with the long track(108?) and I discovered the short track(59") has a slight curve end to end-- <1/8" --that causes a little bind. Only time I have used it was cutting a 2 1/4" thick walnut natural edge slab. Joined the two tracks for a 13 ft. cut and assumed the resistance was due to the thickness and relative hardness of the slab. I then used it to cut 45 deg. cuts cross grain to make waterfall joints for the verticals. The wood cupped a little so I hand planed to get decent joints--28"s wide. Didn't consider the track had some blame--thought it was the reactive wood. This was for an L shaped desk so I made two 45 deg. cuts to make the 90 deg. L and that's when I noticed the curve in the short track. Finally got straight cuts using the long track and was glad to be done with the project. (Freebie made for neighbors!!) I haven't tried to negotiate a return yet--anyone else with this issue had any luck with a return??

No, the extrusion should be perfectly flat.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So let us know how your return works out, assuming you will be exchanging it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    So let us know how your return works out, assuming you will be exchanging it.
    I will Mark. If Dewalt won't, I'm sure the tool store will. They're reputable.

Follow up - Problem solved

Hi guys. Just a short one to close this out.

Dewalt sent me to a service center. They told me they had seen only a couple tracks like mine and offerred to order me a replacement. He thought it would take about 10 days to get it and ship it here. I told him I'd rather see if the seller would exchange it and he told me to call him back if that didn't work out. So I think that's a small kudo for Dewalt.

Well, my local store made the exchange and I finally got time to make several test cuts today.
    Problem solved!

Thanks again for all your advice on this purchase. This is a great addition to my shop!

Best regards,
    Fred

I'm happy it worked out. I have two DeWalt Sanders and two DeWalt drills in addition to the track saw. All except the saw and one sander are over 10 years old. All work well. I like Bosch and Milwaukee too but I think DeWalt is a solid choice.

Very happy to hear that you're back in business with your new track saw. TS is a very, very useful tool to have, regardless of the brand/color, and I'm glad they took care of you for that unusual, but frustrating issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...