Thread: Freud Raised Panel Cutter

Freud Raised Panel Cutter

My Freud panel cutter bit is becoming dull. The 3hp router is bogging down and I'm up to about 6 passes vs 3. I did some research on a replacement and my exact bit with a back cutter is no longer available. Whiteside came up as a quality brand among others. This review information was sourced 10 years ago and I know how brands can decide to start making crap with no notice. Who is generally considered the top of the line bit manufacturers these days? Does anyone have any experience getting Frued bits sharpened? Is it worth it?

Blog Entries
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/newslett...1/article1.htm

I know this is not an answer, but it is a good article.

I use Whiteside almost exclusively. Everyone has been top notch quality.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Freud, Whitesides, Katana, Infinity are all good. I have touched up bits wit a diamond file but never sent them out for sharpening so I can't answer that question. Since it is not a matched rail and stile bit you should be fine with sharpening it.

I would get it sharpened. It will cost the fraction of a new one & should be better than new ( slightly lighter ,sharper than new ). Take in some blades while your at it.

iD sharpen it not all people sharpen to the same grit. Hog off most on your table saw it must be brutal to do that with a router my 2 HP Shaper struggled with a freud cutter. Did it once and got a bigger shaper. The lee valley thing posted "you can do a couple of doors in the time to set up your machinery or whatever is says? Hopefully that is just salesman stuff looks pretty slow what they have there.

Whiteside over Freud, IMO. Not saying Freud is bad, just that Whiteside is much better. I'm sure there are other good ones out there, just haven't felt the need to try them.

Also, I had a question about one of Whiteside's bits and emailed the company direct. Got a reply within a couple of hours, and that kind of stuff sticks with me.

I've had my Freud panel raiser sharpened at Cook Ind ... it did NOT come back factory fresh.
    It did cut 'good', and I was, again, able to do a panel in 3 passes ... the finish just wasn't as shiny and did need some sanding.
    I asked about it the next occasion that I dropped-off some sawblades, "Nobody can duplicate the Freud finish" was the response.
    I've recently bought a few Whiteside bits; the sticker-shock was tough ... the cutter performance clearly best of others that I've used.
    My next panel raiser will be a Whiteside.

Blog Entries
    Freud will give you about half what the Amana will. I proved that many years ago... As far as sharpening you should. But you should always have a backup bit...
    Last edited by jack duren; 04-16-2017 at 7:43 AM.

I have a Freud qudra-cut raised panel bit as well as a few other profiles. They are the best cutting bits I have ever seen. End grain cuts are as smooth as glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have a Freud qudra-cut raised panel bit as well as a few other profiles. They are the best cutting bits I have ever seen. End grain cuts are as smooth as glass.
    And right now Freud is the only game in town for that style cutter, presumably it's patented. I don't have one - yet - but have seen demos on oak panels and the cross grain finish is the best I've seen. Their adjustable cope & stick cutter set is pretty clever too, the only rail cutter that can create tenons longer than about 3/8". Close to $200 for the cabinet door making set though.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 04-17-2017 at 5:55 AM.

Freud used to offer a "2+2" style raised panel bit....did they change the name to "Quadra-cut"? Either way, Whiteside and Infinity have been my best bits, but if yours is the old 2+2 style, I'd look to getting it sharpened.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....