Thread: Crescent 12" Jointer

Crescent 12" Jointer

Hey everyone,
    Just bought a 12" Crescent Jointer but its missing the blade guard. Can I buy one for this machine or am I better off making something.
    Thanks,
    Josh H.

When I got my American jointer, it had a well made copy of a swing away guard.
    I believe Northfield will sell a new porkchop style to fit that if you don't want to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    When I got my American jointer, it had a well made copy of a swing away guard.
    I believe Northfield will sell a new porkchop style to fit that if you don't want to make one.
    It'll be expensive though!

Try posting a WTB in the BOYD section at OWWM (owwm.org). Or check eBay. Last resort, make one.

There are opinions about 'porkchop' vs. 'bridge' guards. If you can't find the guard of your choice for suitable $, take a look at the bridge guard on 12" jointer/planer combos. I have a 12" Jet that uses a bridge guard. It attaches with 2 bolts on the side of the outfeed table and I'll bet you could buy one for less than $100, or make one for a lot less.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Try Woodworkers Tool Works- www.woodworkerstoolworks.com - and ask to speak to Bobby , they have rertofit pork chop guards also.

Thank you everyone, that gives me some good options. Always helpful responses here.

I'm personally a fan of a "bridge" (Euro) guard for wide jointers. Some folks don't prefer them, but for me, I feel safer than with a "pork chop" type guard...99% of my jointer use is flattening boards. I rarely edge joint because I have a slider for straight line rip after flattening/thicknessing but when I do, the bridge only has to expose the thickness of the board plus a "proverbial hair" of space along the fence.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, havent had any exp with a bridge guard, only pork chops. This might be the way to go as this machine will be used almost exclusively for flattening.

Being able to drag the board back over the bridge guard for the next pass is a really nice thing and it goes down to the table with the weight of the board. That's not something that's a great idea with a pork-chop, although certainly possible. My J/P actually came with a pork-chop originally and I really hated it...so much so that the cost of the bridge guard became almost of no consideration. LOL But this is a subjective thing for sure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Hulit View Post
    Thanks Jim, havent had any exp with a bridge guard, only pork chops. This might be the way to go as this machine will be used almost exclusively for flattening.
    Then that would favor the bridge guard for me. IMO bridge guard is better for face jointing, pork chop for edge.

I stopped at the Northfield Foundry to get a pork chop guard for my 12" SAC. They didn't seem too hopeful in how it would mount to my machine and last. They want it sitting in a lot of cast iron.
    I think it was about $700, but that seems obscenely high, and my memory of the cost is likely off.

If you can justify the cost, the SUVA guard looks very nice. I've never used one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Then that would favor the bridge guard for me. IMO bridge guard is better for face jointing, pork chop for edge.

I kinda feel similar, neither is optimal.