Thread: Battery powered work lights

Battery powered work lights

Hello all
    i have a question about battery powered work lights. I know Festool and Milwaukee make pretty nice work lights but at a considerable cost. It seems Bosch also makes them but the one that interested me seems only to be available in Europe.

I've been looking but I'm not sure I have come up with one that I'm convinced is worth the $300.00 price tag. I was at Kiem Lumber last weekend and seen a nice Milwaukee I like but by the time you buy the battery and charger it was $340.00. I liked the idea that it could run off of 110v power also.

I would like like to hear what some folks are using.

I will add that I do own an old fesrool C12 that the batteries do need replaced. I don't use the drill any longer because of the cost of the replacement batteries. I don't know if the C12 batteries would be useful in a FESTOOL work light if I decided to replace them. That might be an option.

I also own a Dewalt 20v drill and impact driver that I absolutely love. LiOn I suppose that is an option also

I would prefer LED vs fluorescent
    Please post your opinions on what is being used and what likes and dislikes you have on the subject

best regards
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 04-16-2017 at 6:14 AM.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

What is the intended use?

In the shop I don't use battery powered lights except for small flashlights. Do you need light in places where there is no power or a cord would be in the way? (I put some receptacles in the ceiling for the latter.)

JKJ

Versatility. I wanted something for portable use and for in the shop. Something for when I'm spraying to move around and check the surfaces. Other times for working in low light conditions such as an attic So, I'm looking for versatility especially if I'm going to spend a lot of money. I'd like not to spend a lot of money but, it's looking as though I might have to
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

I have this 12V Bosch light. It is incredibly bright. I prefer it over my Bosch 18V light.

I've got a Dewalt stationary LED light that was "only" about $120, but then I had batteries and charger for Dewalton hand. But honestly, the one I like best is a $25 headlamp I bought at the local hardware store. Turns out that I don't often need bright light where I'm not looking.

I don't want multiple battery systems and am currently Makita 18v - this light is really good and inexpensive - I recommend it -

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/DML801

As I see it, the big issue is run time. Do you need a light that can burn for an entire day non-stop? Or do you need a light that burns for a few minutes a couple times in a day? For me, it is the latter. I use a light in the shop, putting light where the overheads throw a shadow. I've got pretty good overhead coverage, so I'm doing things like looking underneath something, or down a hole. To get this kind of short run-time, you don't need to spend a lot of money. My current one is a no-name that cost $12.

I agree about the one battery system. As I mentioned the FESTOOL batteries I own are not up to the challenge anymore. In fact I was always a bit disappointed in there performance. As a work light they might work fine. Also I mentioned above that I own a 20 volt Dewalt system and I am amazed as to how well they store power. They will keep power for months without a need for recharging. I was building and addition on my house 3 yrs ago and purchased this system because the FESTOOL batteries were not up to it plus a 12 volt was not enough power. Here three yrs later and all the batteries still work fine

What I should do is sell the two FESTOOL drills I own to someone that might want to rebuild or buy new batteries

I was impressed with Milwaukee I saw at Kiem. It was larger, it was battery and 120 volt, and it was expensive. And it made me think about having both power sources. But in the end I think battery powered is more important because of the versatility.

I will look at the ones you fellows recommended.

Thank you

I have used Festool for about the last 4-5 years- about when they came out with Li-Ion. You simply cannot compare the previous battery type- Ni-Cad to these new ones.
    But, yes they are a bit pricey.
    One thing to keep in mind though, is that Festool hits you "upfront" getting into their system. Any replacement parts, repairs, or batteries seem to be much,much cheaper than the others mentioned when you need them.
    The other "system" I just started equipping the "general" shop with is Milwaulkee. Just for the tool type availability platform. So far I am happy.
    I have the Festool syslite for inside cabinet work, and just the Milwaukee flashlight for each system.
    I was looking at the portable joblights as well, I just have to decide which one I will go with.
    I think the Festool has the edge on lumen output if I remember.