Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best 10" Combination Blade?

The Best 10" Combination Blade?

I bought two Woodworker II blades in 1998. Gad! that was 19 years ago and now they're both worn out beyond resharpening. I always felt that this blade was as good as it gets, but I've not kept up with developments. Price is down from the $150 I paid (per blade) back then to around $112.

Anyone think they know of anything better for the price?

I have a WWII. I'm not all that impressed with it anymore. I have a stack of $20 Dewalt/Delta 7657/35-7657 combination blades that I run daily unless I am using a crosscut or ripping blade. For WWII money I would look at Freud.

I second the recommendation to try Freud. I have 2 Forrest blades that I'd used for years until trying a Freud combination in a class. Bought the thin kerf Freud more than a year ago now and have not been disappointed

Over 35 years I have owned many brands. Lafayette($$), Luxite($$), Delta, Freud, Forrest, FS Tools etc. in the past a 48 tooth Luxite was my go-to blade. But for years now I always keep a 40t Ridge Carbide blade on the table saw. Long lasting carbide life. clean cuts and made in the USA.
    When they need sharpening. I send them back to Ridge. The owner, John, usually answers the phone. Many years experience. They come back as new. They are a full service shop. I send them all my blades and shaper cutters. Always good service and fast turn around......and a nice Guy....I highly recommend both him and his blades.

My WW-II blades are still going strong from purchase in the early 2000s. I still use them as my primary blade on my MM slider after I moved to it from a cabinet saw in 2004, even though I could be running 12" blades on the machine. When I can't sharpen them anymore, I'll likely replace with 12" versions. They are the "cheapest" premium blade for me because of the long life with more re-sharpenings possible than many other blades. IMHO. That said, there are quite a few really good blades available these days from many different names. They often get mentioned here...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    Over 35 years I have owned many brands. Lafayette($$), Luxite($$), Delta, Freud, Forrest, FS Tools etc. in the past a 48 tooth Luxite was my go-to blade. But for years now I always keep a 40t Ridge Carbide blade on the table saw. Long lasting carbide life. clean cuts and made in the USA.
    When they need sharpening. I send them back to Ridge. The owner, John, usually answers the phone. Many years experience. They come back as new. They are a full service shop. I send them all my blades and shaper cutters. Always good service and fast turn around......and a nice Guy....I highly recommend both him and his blades.

I was just looking at the ridge website. I am in need of a new blade and was just wondering exctly what ridge blade you use. Is it the full kerf blade that does not require the stabilizer? I always hesitate to drop a 100 bucks on something like that without getting a good recommendation from a current user. It sounds like you are a satisfied customer. I will probably send some of my current blades to them to sharpen. I assume they will work on any brand of blade. I have a couple of the freud thin kerf combination blades and do like them. Thanks in advance Jared

Being subjective, there is no single "best". Forrest still makes an excellent blade, but are among the more expensive options for a given level of performance, and they now have more legitimate competition than ever before. All the top contenders have their strengths and weaknesses, and many offer more for the money.

The Ridge Carbide TS2000 is extremely competitive with the 40T WWII, is made just down the road from Forrest, offers thicker carbide, 1200 grit sharpening, and costs 10-20% less....often $90-$100 delivered. I recall when I did my initial head to head comparison tests with the WWII....being a Forrest fan at the time, I wanted to the WWII to be clearly better, but in the end, it honestly wasn't. If was tough to tell the difference, and if anything, the TS2000 may have had a slight performance edge.

The Japanese made Tenryu Gold Medal is also a top shelf performer for less money. On par with the WWII and TS2000 ...often $90-$100 delivered.

The Delta 35-7657 is an extraordinary American made value in a classic full kerf 40T ATB general purpose blade with large C-4 micrograin carbide, laser cut top quality steel body, precision manufacturing, and excellent overall quality. Considering that all of the 40T or 50T general purpose/combo blades are designed to have performance compromises at both cutting extremes, for $30 to your door at closeout prices, this one makes more sense to me than any of them. The performance is within a gnat's eyelash of the most expensive 40T blades, and is as good as it needs to be for what this type of blade is intended for. If you want/need better performance, separate task specific blades are the way to go.

The Freud Premier Fusion and Infinity Super General offer a something a bit different from the standard ATB or ATB/R grind. Both have a Hi-ATB top grind which offers lower tearout for fine crosscutting and plywood cuts, plus both have a dual side grind with tight side geometry that provides a more polished edge for ripping. Their performance advantages are noticeable compared to the WWII, TS2000, Gold Medal, and 36-7657. The downside is a slight increase in their tendency to burn in thicker rips, and somewhat shorter edge life compared to more tyical 40T designs. An excellent choice for someone who is meticulous about saw setup, blade cleanliness, isn't ripping thick stock, and wants to use mainly one blade to get better cutting performance.

The Infinity Combomax is the best of the 50T ATB/R combo blades I've tried. It'll rival the overall performance of the best 40T blades, but with a slightly less polished edge and is a bit more forgiving with the setup than the premium 40T blades. A great all around set it and forget it type blade.

With that said, I'll re-state that none of these 40T or 50T blades will perform as well as good task specific blades in their respective intended cutting ranges. All purpose blades should be used for their convenience, not best possible performance....think of them like all season radial tires vs specialty racing slicks/mud/snow type tires.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-16-2017 at 1:31 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I bought 3 Tenryu blades after purchasing my Hammer slider. Hardly use any but the 80 tooth solid wood crosscut blade. Found it works great for ripping, so don't often change it, but I do take it off and clean it occasionally. The Tenryu blades are far better than the WWII blade I have.

Blog Entries
    I have a 10" WWII blade that has to be 12-15 years old. It is an excellent blade. It will be sent out for sharpening when it needs it.

I get good performance from my WW2. But I agree there are a ton of other good choices. I have read good things about the blade that Carbide Processors makes - "World's Best Cermet". They run about $110 for a 10" blade (before you take the small discount for Creekers). I bought a couple other items from them and found they have tremendous customer service, too.

Surprisingly, I get pretty good performance from a BORG "Diablo" combo blade that I bought as a fill-in when I sent the WW2 back for sharpening. IIRC, Freud makes them.

Fred

Another consideration is Carbide Processors' Worlds Best blades. Tom puts out a quality product and offers a discount to "creekers".

Quote Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
    Another consideration is Carbide Processors' Worlds Best blades. Tom puts out a quality product and offers a discount to "creekers".
    Have you used it? How about telling us about your impressions.

3 Tenryu Gold combo's have seen a lot of use in my shop over the last 6 or 7 years. I get a nice glue line when ripping, good crosscutting on solid stock and a level of tear out that's tolerable for me in most sheet goods. However, I think if I wanted to try a full kerf combo blade I'd like to try Ridge Carbide TS2000 based on most reviews.

I recently replaced a Feud P410 general purpose blade with a Worlds Best general purpose blade and was surprised how smooth of a cut I got. Up to that point, I had been satisfied with the Freud.

Check out Dynamic Saw price for retipping your bodies. $1.60 a tip, plus sharpening. 40 X $1.60= $64 + $8.50 for sharpening. So for $72.50 you can have a new WWII, on your blank. FYI, a WWII isn't a combo blade, but a general purpose blade.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 04-16-2017 at 8:09 PM.