Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a small sized metal cutting laser

Looking for a small sized metal cutting laser

Hi,
    I am brand new to the whole laser game. Just purchased my first Laser cnc... a 6040 CO2 80 w reci... thinking I can do all kinds of cool things with it.

Now my wife wants to cut some metal name tags out of nikkel, copper, aluminum etc... and now I have the wrong machine....

The idea is, for her to basically do funky little metal or alloy based tags on her clothing line, different shapes and sizes, engraved of course. And if I could do the odd business card for myself that would be fun too...

any leads on a relatively inexpensive ( not cheap ) laser cnc, suitable for cutting metal? up to about 1.2mm thick
    I need it to cut a maximum of 15 inches wide...

Thanks in advance guys!!

Metal cutting is a whole different ball game price-wise. Check Kern Lasers for small format, metal capable laser cutting machines. Expect $75k and up pricing.

Your best bet is probably a metal finish plastic like those produced by Rowmark, Gemini, etc. These are easy to process on your CO2 laser. Colors include silver, gold, copper and bronze. Check with your favorite distributor.
    Last edited by Chuck Phillips; 04-16-2017 at 9:18 AM.
    Epilog Lasers

Oxygen assisted CO2 with a high pressure head will do it. drossy cuts though, if you want to do precious metals then it's going to be a fibre.

Import prices:

Oxygen assisted CO2 - $7k - $12k (4 foot by 4 foot up to an 8 foot by 4 foot)

Fibre - $22k for a 300 watt, $30k for a 500 watt, $70k for an 800 watt...all usually 2500mm x 1250mm bed size

Kern 400 watt (cuts metal without Oxygen) - $180k
    You did what !

Small benchtop water jet. There is one in Kickstarter right now, but it may not be cost effective to run.
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-16-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

You can get 6040 and 1390 enclosed fiber lasers from China now. Price in the range of $30-40K depending on power. If you want to cut copper and alu then you probably want at least 500W and even then it will only cut relatively thin material. You need O2 or N (lots of it!) depending on what metal you cut. A cutting laser won't do engraving so you need a 20-50W galvo for that.
    Last edited by Michael Henriksen; 04-16-2017 at 1:33 PM.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

A more practical solution would be chewbarka dot net (expired security certificate ) or a local water jet company who can do what you need. Its going to be pricey for custom aluminum or metal shapes of your design.

Also remember, a lot of fibres are 3 phase
    You did what !

She might be better looking at a different material for her tags, what about leather, you could either cut the shape out with your laser or for a cleaner edge, use a cutting die (you can get small custom dies made from £25.00) and then use your laser to engrave what's needed.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Also remember, a lot of fibres are 3 phase
    I was surprised to discover that residential homes don't have 3-phase in UK. On the continent and up here in the North Atlantic it's common to have a 3-phase supply. Don't know what the situation is in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    I was surprised to discover that residential homes don't have 3-phase in UK. On the continent and up here in the North Atlantic it's common to have a 3-phase supply.
    Common? To residential homes? Around here the power line (just one line) is 7kV. Our transformer (which serves three homes) brings it down to 220V via two hots (110V ea) and one ground wire.

Three phase would require two additional 7kV lines and two additional transformers. A huge extra expense to construct and maintain. If you truly have three phase power to residential homes, I would be curious to know how the power company justified that expense.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I was surprised to discover that residential homes don't have 3-phase in UK. On the continent and up here in the North Atlantic it's common to have a 3-phase supply. Don't know what the situation is in the US?
    Residential, no 3 phase unless you order and pay a big fee... if its available in your area of town. Commercial, its pretty common as well as Industrial. Residential, 120 volts for household appliances, 240 volt for the stoves and other larger equipment and its single phase.

once you hit 4.5HP (ish) here, it's 3 Phase or bust. Typical Household main switches are 100 amp onto 32 amp rings @ 240 volts (220 - 250) (Mains plugs are typically 13 amp rating) with dedicated lines for cookers and heating going on 16 amp dedicated circuits.

I had my 3 Phase fitted to the workshops about 4 years ago over here after I moved and it cost a lot more than a nice Trotec , pretty much most commercial (manufacturing) locations have it available but if you don't it's really expensive to have fitted.

From memory Fibres from 300 (ish) watts upwards are 3 Phase with 500+ all being 3 phase.
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    If you truly have three phase power to residential homes, I would be curious to know how the power company justified that expense.
    All homes here have 3-phase here. Same in Denmark and Germany where I have also lived. In Germany it's quite common to use it on water heaters. Here it is usually used for the cooker. Some also have washing machines that run on 400V 3-phase.

All homes here have 3-phase here. Same in Denmark and Germany where I have also lived. In Germany it's quite common to use it on water heaters. Here it is usually used for the cooker. Some also have washing machines that run on 400V 3-phase.

It's one thing if the country you live in has 110V and another if the country serves 220v.

I grew up in a country that served 220v single, and 400v 3-phase...

Now I live in the states, and its 110v single and 220v 3 phase... the wires in the 220v countries are much thicker and better shielded, buried underground, than the supplies in the US... single wire , un-shielded to a transformer, most often than not, in the air mounted to a telephone post...

Just thought I would throw in my $0.02c on it...

A laser is not the tool you need , a cnc overhead router is the way to go to cut metals .. you can get a small one ex china for $5k or so
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher