Thread: 1/4in bandsaw blade recommendation for cutting curves on a Laguna 1412?

1/4in bandsaw blade recommendation for cutting curves on a Laguna 1412?

Hello All,
    What specific brand do you recommend for cutting curves on a laguna 1412 bandsaw. The saw takes a 115in blade and per the specs the narrowest width is 1/4in blade without having to buy a new mini guide that laguna sells for $150 that would accommodate 1/16 -1/8in blade. With that said, 1/4in blade is the smallest my bandsaw can current accept.

Thank you

On my Delta 14's, I run a 1/4",6TPI, 0.025", hook pattern, bi-metal blade that I bought from Woodcraft Bands. I mainly use saw to cut out Toys for Tots car bodies from 2 X 4 stock, Car body has about 8" of cut, all curved, and typically I cut between 800 and 1000 per year. Last blade lasted for ten years of this abuse, so I bought another. Blade didn't wear out as in dull, but fatigued to death. It's still sharp, but broken (not at the weld.)

Rick,

I have that saw. You will probably get many opinions on your question, some passionate. Quality (consistency) does differ among manufacturers. I have found that the steel blades from Highland Woodworking are good value for money and I do not think I have had a bad blade from them. I simply use their 1/4 inch 6TPI Hook Tooth blades. Based on limited experience, I feel that quality control on Laguna blades is questionable.

By the way, you can use a 1/8" blade on this saw without a special attachment if you know how to set it up. I was part of a discussion here on SMC about this a few months ago. If you search you can probably find that thread.

Doug

1/4" x 6tpi Lenox Diemaster2, I buy mine from Woodcraft bands; http://www.woodcraftbands.com/