Thread: V-Groove Paneling Router Bit Set for Thin Stock?

V-Groove Paneling Router Bit Set for Thin Stock?

I'm looking for a V-groove router bit set that will work with plank paneling 3/8" thick or thinner. I have a CMT set but the minimum stock is 3/4", same with Whiteside. The Freud set has a minimum of 1/2". I struck out with Amana and Bosch.

Anyone know where I can find a V-groove router bit set that will work with thin stock?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

87 views and no answer. If no one here knows, it doesn't exist. Time to improvise...

Consider a molding head on table saw. My old Sears has a V groove bit in it. Corab Cutters can custom make you a profile, if they don't stock what you need.

+1 on the table saw moulding head. I have an old craftsman moulding head that I use for v- grooving.

I have also made a bunch of 1/4" thick spline and groove paneling with just a table saw blade.

perhaps you combine these 2 methods.

I just realized I neglected to include tongue & groove in my first post. Sorry about that.

I found a MCLS set that might work if I go thinner than 3/8". What looks promising is the "T" thickness is only 3/32".

About all I know about MCLS router bits is they are very inexpensive. This set is $60. Freud's version is about $145 and Amana's version is over $175. I remember paying somewhere in that range for the CMT set I have. But since I will be using it only on cedar, maybe it will be fine.

Anyone with experience using MCLS router bits?

MLCS has been a good value in bits for me, both their standard and premium grades (Katana). If they had that set in their Katana line (I didn't see it--but doesn't mean they don't have it), pricing would probably fall between their standard and the Freud. I've not had any real complaints with either line, but have found that the Katana's cut pretty nice and seem to hold an edge longer than the standard. Not Whiteside nice, but real good for the money.
    earl

Forrest will grind you any kind of profile in their table saw blades.

MCLS is okay. They do not seem to hold their edge as long as my Freud and CMT and Whiteside bits but those are more money.

The Sears molding heads are available on eBay. I looked into them once and the prices looked reasonable.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have entered into a realm unknown to me before - old boat yard quality. We have this little, unassuming house but it's on the water and it just seems right to go with old boat yard decor. A couple of years ago I would have NEVER thought I'd be saying, "It looks too nice." Now I find myself beating wood up so it looks well worn.

If the MCLS bits cut cedar without splintering, I'll be happy.

Worse case, do the T&G creatively first and cut the v-grooves with a guided router (or on the router table inverted if the panels are narrow...or with a TS moulding head) after the panel is assembled.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...