Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cermark 6000 vs 6060? vs ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Cerakote-- your laser will simply remove Cerakote- might take a couple of passes and some tight resolution settings, but it will do it.

This is a Cerakoted Micarta grip from a Kimber 1911 I test engraved 2 days ago- this was one pass at 30 speed 100% (40w) on my LS900 at 500 lines per inch. you can see that about half the Cerakote was removed in that one pass....
    Attachment 358633Attachment 358634
    -- at say 18 speed (my Cermark speed) and say 800 lines, the Cerakote would likely be gone in one pass-- and especially so with more power than I have...

What this is to say is, if you put white pearl or any other Cermark directly on Cerakote, you'll probably get a less than stellar results.
    But if you run a couple of passes first to remove the Cerakote, then the Ceramark may have a chance to work...
    Won't removing the cerakote expose the metal and allow rust to form on the unprotected metal?
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

Blog Entries
    case1.jpg

I see someone else likes to use cheap brass! LMM14 BTW. Works pretty well.

cases1.jpg

But I like the fiber too! Dark Burn and light mark. Dark is way darker than the picture.Darker than the Ceramark above.

Mike, I guess it would depend on the design and your customer as to removing the cerakote.
    I just did this to my carry and it is cut into the tenifer finish on the gun. I'm not worried about it rusting.
    ppqfiber1a.jpg
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    That piece of brass was one of my calibration reference rounds for reloading. Thats why its marked with the bullet manufacturer and the COAL. I keep a tray of reference rounds for each caliber. Makes resetting the dies on the progressive very quick as I can quickly go to within a couple thousandths of the COAL I want for the seat die by screwing it down until it meets the reference round (which has no powder or primer if anyone thought I was dumb enough to laser a live round) and then a couple handle pulls while making final adjustments and I am good to run. Saves a lot of time switching from my IDPA load to target load, etc.

I also use it in my COAL gauge. I place it in my gauge and zero it. Then as I run a lot, I can pull samples and quickly see how far up or down from my reference round I am and verify I am still spot on. I know its rather anal for handgun rounds. The habit formed (constant checking) from loading rounds for my 30-06 and my 300WM Barrett for quarter-mile and out distances, half a thousandth could make a difference in POI.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age