Thread: Router for Omnijig?

Router for Omnijig?

What is a good router to use with a Porter Cable Omnijig? I have an old Craftsman router but it only accepts 1/4" shanks. The bits I have for the Omnijig have 1/2" shanks. I realize that 1/4" shank bits are available but I would like to get a new router that accepts 1/2" shanks. A little search online suggests that a fixed base router is appropriate for this application. Are the 2 1/4 hp routers powerful enough or should I go with 3 1/4 hp? Any suggestions on a good brand and model would also be welcome.

IMHO 3-1/4 hp routers are too cumbersome for that application. Besides, even with a more powerful router multiple passes are preferred to reduce tearout.

I keep an old craftsman set up just for my Omni Jig. It's 1/4" but that is what I had at the time. Any moderately priced router will do. 3 1/4 hp routers are beasts for an everyday router. I have a big Triton that I haven't used since I got rid of my router table in favor of a shaper with a router spindle. Big hp routers work great in tables and SOME hand held operations but IMHO not a dovetail jig.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

A 2 1/4 hp seems like the way to go. The only other requirement for the router is the ability to accept Porter Cable templates. Should I stick with a Porter Cable router or are there others that would be better? I will probably get a setup with fixed and plunge bases.

D Handle 690 is what I used. Worked just fine, only burned up a couple of them in probably 3,000 drawers.

The Porter Cable D handle is perfect for that application.

Had me confused for a while. The D-Handle version is 691. The 690 has a different handle. I assume the 691 is the preferred one for my application? If so that's what I'll get. Curious though, what makes the D-Handle more suitable for use on an Omnijig?

For the router table...PC 7518 for the horses
    For the Multi Router...Bosch has 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 collets
    For hand Routing...Milwaukee 6715 BodyGrip..easy to control on the OmniJig

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Had me confused for a while. The D-Handle version is 691. The 690 has a different handle. I assume the 691 is the preferred one for my application? If so that's what I'll get. Curious though, what makes the D-Handle more suitable for use on an Omnijig?
    Pretty sure the only difference is the base. I would expect the motor to be the same. I just like the one handed control that comes with a D handle base. For the final pass I'm sure I would have both hands on the router but I like being able to let go with my left hand and still be in reasonable control.

BTW are we talking about an older fixed spaced Omnijig or the newer variable spaced fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Pretty sure the only difference is the base. I would expect the motor to be the same. I just like the one handed control that comes with a D handle base. For the final pass I'm sure I would have both hands on the router but I like being able to let go with my left hand and still be in reasonable control.

BTW are we talking about an older fixed spaced Omnijig or the newer variable spaced fingers?
    Omnijig I was referring to is the Model 55160. I've never used a dovetail jig before and this one fell into my lap. It seems to be a well made setup.

Oh! Sorry I didn't make the connection. You posted earlier about that jig. I have that jig and all the trimmings. Check to see that the side handles on the finger template are exactly flush with the fingers. Mine were 1/32" above the fingers which meant the router would ride up when it hit the left handle when moving right to left. Or drop down when moving left to right.

The handles are aluminum so a carbide flat bit took care of it and I now get perfect results but overcoming the lax manufacturing is the key to that jig. I got so frustrated early on I literally took three days and decided this machine was NOT going to beat me. In the end I won and I understand it and get perfect results. The engineering is excellent but the manufacturing is lacking. That's why it failed in the marketplace.

Download the manual, print it out and have it right there when you are learning this jig.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 04-16-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Oh! Sorry I didn't make the connection. You posted earlier about that jig. I have that jig and all the trimmings. Check to see that the side handles on the finger template are exactly flush with the fingers. Mine were 1/32" above the fingers which meant the router would ride up when it hit the left handle when moving right to left. Or drop down when moving left to right.

The handles are aluminum so a carbide flat bit took care of it and I now get perfect results but overcoming the lax manufacturing is the key to that jig. I got so frustrated early on I literally took three days and decided this machine was NOT going to beat me. In the end I won and I understand it and get perfect results. The engineering is excellent but the manufacturing is lacking. That's why it failed in the marketplace.

Download the manual, print it out and have it right there when you are learning this jig.
    Thanks Dave! I ordered the Porter Cable 691 or D-Handle router this evening. I have the original manual including the optional adjustable template but all of the template guides were missing. I was able to locate one of them for the half blind dovetails. I also purchased the router bit for the same. When the router arrives I'll begin the process of getting acquainted with the setup. This is a first for me in just about all aspects so it should prove to be a good learning process. I printed out your suggestion and will place it in the manual so I can refer to it when starting.