Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting HEAVY Powermatic planer advice. Pm 160

Lifting HEAVY Powermatic planer advice. Pm 160

Are there lifting rods or lifting points on a Powermatic 160 planer?

I plan to rent a low trailer and the place has a forklift. I want them to lift it off the pallet and onto a steel angle iron mobile base I'll be making. Using 800+ pound capacity per caster of course.

Planer weighs around 1,100 pounds.

I need to know how to properly run straps to lift the planer up. I've seen some photos of wood through the planer and the bed raised to pinch the wood then straps are ran around the wood. The process isn't clear to me. Ive also heard some use eye bolts in the grinder bar location.

I'm calling Powermatic tomorrow, but wanted to ask first. Here's a pic of what I've read several have done. Nothing mentioned in the manual about how to do it.

http://i.imgur.com/3NqNWFEl.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick Irish; 04-17-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Patrick

I wouldn't do it as pictured, unless I was looking at a re-build. That chain with no softeners is going to leave a mark.
    Yes they can be rigged with wood going through the infeed tables and lifting of the wood, but it would need to be 2x4's on edge. Much longer than the beds and they'll need to be 2x6's. The wood has to be made into a frame to make sure that the lifting is done equally from each corner and they don't collapse in and move toward each other. A dense piece of 2" foam board, or a folded up moving blanket will make a nice softener to place between the top of the wood and the underside of the planer mechanism. Try to avoid just clamping the wood between the tables and mechanism. It works, but you'll likely end up having to adjust the cutter head and feed rollers if you do
    If those are holes in the base, either threaded to not, find some suitable lifting hardware and use the holes. 4, 1", 4' slings, 1/2" shackles,with lifting eyes, or swivel eyes would do it. This would lift up to 5000, lbs depending on the size of the shank of what ever will go through the base.

Don't basket weave it unless you really know what you're doing, or you'll end up with a planer dumped on it's side.

800lbs. isn't a lot of weight but it's significant enough to handle for a single person. I just had to lift an 800b commercial washer out of my truck. Cost me about a $100.00 in lifting hardware and slings.
    Be safe.

Have you considered the "Zambus" style leveling casters like Footmaster and Great lakes? They're pricey, but man are they nice for heavy machines.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 04-17-2017 at 7:48 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If you have to sling it, two 4x4s on bed, run it all the way up and then sling from 4x4s.

800 lb casters are too light. It isn't just the weight involved, but the ease in raising and lowering the ratchet mechanism. I've got lots of old iron and trust me, you want at least the 1600 lb ones. Rent a pallet jack and use some 4x4 to bolt- not lag- to the bottom with an additional 2x4 to gain needed height to slip the zambus under the machine using the pallet jack to lift it. No need for frame, just plates for the casters assuming the base is recessed under the hole locations. Powermatic will be little help advising on their old machines but don't lift from either the top or under the table. Lift from the bottom. Dave

[QUOTE=Mike Cutler;2681637]Patrick

I wouldn't do it as pictured, unless I was looking at a re-build. That chain with no softeners is going to leave a mark./QUOTE]

A trick I learned from one of my friend's is to use sections of old 3" to 4" fire hose. Run the chain through a cut section of hose and position it over pressure points on the machine to cushion the chain. Fire departments regularly replace their hoses and getting a 75' length usually costs me a case of beer - just go and talk to the chief. Newer hoses can be a bear to cut as some may have a Kevlar layer. I usually cut an assortment of lengths - 1', 2', 3', 5' and 10' - I get 3 of each out of one hose. The stuff is tough and has never allowed a mark on any machine I've ever moved despite tightening the chain using ratcheting binders. Be careful though, I tightened a bit too much on one machine with a sheet metal base cabinet and oil-canned the thing!

I am a huge fan of the bolted 4 X 4 idea. I do not like lifting machinery where I can stress critical components.

Not going to hurt that machine lifting as I suggested. I sling stuff all the time, just got done move 3 bandsaws, all slinged or picked up under the top of the C frame.

Nothing is going to break. I have moved almost anything imaginable.

Darcy is correct that the machine won't likely be hurt. If the forklift guy has experience you are OK. My concern is a guy new to the machine hobby lifting with engine hoists and the like. I made mobile bases for the first dozen machines and found out how poorly they work with 1200+ machines. The wheels are never pointed in the right direction and it is hard to start or stop the machine. Now I use Zambus with either M16 or 5/8" studs and either angle iron or plates. Works much better. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Not going to hurt that machine lifting as I suggested. I sling stuff all the time, just got done move 3 bandsaws, all slinged or picked up under the top of the C frame.

Nothing is going to break. I have moved almost anything imaginable.
    Good to know, if anyone would know, it would be you...

Those Zambus wheels look great, around $40+ each, not too bad. My only concern is wheeling it off the low trailer up my slightly inclined 20 foot driveway into my garage. I've done this with a 1,200lb safe on cast iron casters. Those Zambus look more for flat movement, not designed to go over cracks or gaps in concrete. Also, my garage is lined with 3/4" rubber horse stall mats. Once it's rolled in, it's going to settle in on which ever wheels install.

The plan is to weld casters to the corners of the metal frame like this photo below, set the planer in the frame and then run a bolt in the middle and back flange, if that's ever necessary.

mxmg9a5.jpg

I like the bolting to a pallet and renting a pallet jack to wheel up driveway. Then you can slide off onto your mobile base.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    renting a pallet jack

If you're going to be messing around with a lot of Old Arn, you might as well buy a pallet jack. They are pretty easy to find on CL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    If you're going to be messing around with a lot of Old Arn, you might as well buy a pallet jack. They are pretty easy to find on CL.
    Couldnt agree with you more if it is going to be a more than 1 or 2 time use type of thing. If I had space for some of these bigger machines, still needed mobility at times, I would seriously consider the pallet as the base and buy pallet jack when need to move.

Leave it on the pallet and move it with a pallet jack - once you get where you want it you can either jack the planer on each side and then leave on blocks or cut the pallet out from under the planer. That's how I got it and have moved my Powermatic planer -

I drill my bases 1/2" holes one each corner put a 1/2" bolt to 3/8" chain to it then lift from the chain above the machine, I also run small chains to keep all chains located and put carpet sections on before I chain it so its protected done ten machines probably more this way never an issue but its a bit unconventional, My thinking is im always lifting from the base and not tables or other things. Its also worked well for changing heights like onto a trailer or different levels say five feet up or down, done machines to 2,500 lbs that way but could go higher. If I undestand your post you want to put it on a base if its pre assembled base the pallet jack will be in the way so not quite clear on what you are thinking