Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifting HEAVY Powermatic planer advice. Pm 160

Roll it on pipe. Just spent all day unloading and setting up a Weinig Hydromat AL22. 10k pounds, 10 foot long electrical cabinet, 8 foot loader deck, etc.
    Two lifts to get it off the trailer and in the shop. The last 4 feet to the wall on steel pipe, i could push it with one bar while on pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I drill my bases 1/2" holes one each corner put a 1/2" bolt to 3/8" chain to it then lift from the chain above the machine, I also run small chains to keep all chains located and put carpet sections on before I chain it so its protected done ten machines probably more this way never an issue but its a bit unconventional, My thinking is im always lifting from the base and not tables or other things. Its also worked well for changing heights like onto a trailer or different levels say five feet up or down, done machines to 2,500 lbs that way but could go higher. If I undestand your post you want to put it on a base if its pre assembled base the pallet jack will be in the way so not quite clear on what you are thinking
    Plan was to take it off the pallet via straps and a forklift then place it on my mobile base. I called the place it's located and that's a no go. They claimed liability issues as to why they cant.

So I'll be renting a low trailer and pallet jack to get it my garage and then somehow onto my mobile base. I guess I can use floor jack and cut away the pallet as I slide the mobile base in.

On my mill/drill the holes at each corner to bolt it down were the size needed to tap for 5/8 lifting eyes. So I had lifting eyes on the bottom but I also strapped it so it could not flip over upside down. Can you reach under the base and install lifting bolts or eyebolts and a nut+washer.
    Four 1/2 eyebolts would be more then enough to hoist that machine. Just make sure they are forged eyebolts not bent and non welded. My 1750 pound lathe is designed to be lifted by one 16mm eyebolt. It worked fine and was balanced perfectly. 16mm is about 5/8.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Roll it on pipe. Just spent all day unloading and setting up a Weinig Hydromat AL22. 10k pounds, 10 foot long electrical cabinet, 8 foot loader deck, etc.
    Two lifts to get it off the trailer and in the shop. The last 4 feet to the wall on steel pipe, i could push it with one bar while on pipe.
    The PM 160 and 180 CI bases actually have "feet" cast into them, two in the front on the corners and one in the back in the center, making it three-toed. He'd need skids bolted under it to be able to move it effectively on pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by John P Clark View Post
    Leave it on the pallet and move it with a pallet jack - once you get where you want it you can either jack the planer on each side and then leave on blocks or cut the pallet out from under the planer. That's how I got it and have moved my Powermatic planer -
    Ditto. Only mine came on two pallets, since the first one was smashed, so the shippers just put a second pallet under the first one. It was a VERY painstaking process of jacking, blocking and sawzall-ing to get everything out from under the planer without injuring myself.

If you lift any machine from below the center of gravity you risk having it roll upside down and smash into the ground or rip off important bits as the lift sling angles move around as it rolls. So if you lift from the bottom tie the top part to the hook as well so it can not flip over.
    Bill D.