Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane for small detail work

Plane for small detail work

Looking for some general experience/advice here. Wondering about the various miniature/palm/inset/instrument planes for small delicate work...primarily chamfers, round overs, small smoothing needs, etc. on boxes and other small projects (I'm leaning towards the mini block planes).

If you use any of these small planes, could you give me your thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!

Too small for my hands, but...there IS a 3 pc set at Harbor Freight you MIGHT want to look at...

I have a few of what are called thumb planes. Regular and the squirrel tail models, vintage and the LN ones. The squirrel tail ones are less fatiguing to hold but my favorite is the bronze instrument makers plane from LN because it has the blade adjuster for depth of cut, all the others one has to tap the blade or body to set the blade. The mouth opening on the LN squirrel tails are too small in my opinion as it will take only the finest shavings. I left it alone as I have the vintage ones with a really wide mouth, but it has been recommended to file it open a little bit.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

You might try the Lie-Nielsen Violin Maker's Plane (similar to the older Stanley #101). It's pricey, but it's a great small plane. It works well for chamfering corners, especially on smaller pieces. Because of it's size and weight (body and cap are bronze), you have a lot of control. It just feels right in my hand when I use it. It might require a few more passes, but I never have to worry about taking too much off on any one pass if it's set right. Unfortunately you can't get into corners with it, because it's constructed just like a regular bench plane only smaller. You might also try a low angle block plane. I have found the Wood River from Woodcraft is a great plane and less expensive than Lie-Nielsen and Veritas (although theirs are probably better planes). The low angle block plane with an adjustable throat also provides great control for chamfering and a wide variety of work (somewhat more versatile for a broader range of work than the Lie-Nielsen Violin Maker's plane, but not as cool).

6. For general small chamfering and trimming I like a block plane with the adjustable toe. Fits well in my hand and all that. A standard angle block plane is the same footprint as a #2. A #1 is quite a bit smaller and has a chipbreaker, which makes it a lifesaver in some cases though many find it awkward to hold.

I just picked up a mujinfang palm plane. Single iron, bevel down, wedged, high angle. Haven't used it enough to form much of an opinion of it yet, but it definitely works.

This is my favorite small plane. Use it for just the kind of tasks you listed.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...65&cat=1,41182

Stanley #60-1/2..
    round over time.JPG
    That I use for roundovers...and

new edges.JPG
    Millers Falls No. 56B. Same as the Stanley 60-1/2

Blog Entries
    I have a 60 1/2 plane. I treasure it. It is one sweet plane. It is the original "apron plane".
    Actually, I have an old one and a new one.
    Rockler and Home Depot still sell them.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-17-2017 at 5:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have various small planes. Most of the time my #60 or #65 series LA block planes are used. When something a bit smaller is wanted a #102 comes in handy. Even smaller is a squirrel tailed plane and a Millers Falls equivalent of a #101.

For chamfering I have two wood body molding planes that do a uniform job.

For rounding over a corner a wood body hollow molding plane is used.

For small smoothing needs #3, #2 & #1 planes are used.

For a small plane with a chip breaker a #1 is a good choice all except for the one time cost.

Yesterday while trying to reach into some tricky spots my #90 bull nose shoulder plane was put to work.

It is always good to have a wide base from which to choose.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Looking for some general experience/advice here. Wondering about the various miniature/palm/inset/instrument planes for small delicate work...primarily chamfers, round overs, small smoothing needs, etc. on boxes and other small projects (I'm leaning towards the mini block planes).

If you use any of these small planes, could you give me your thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!
    I have a couple Stanley 65's. They are pretty big. I've got a Sargent 206 apron plane. It's not low angle, nor does it have an adjustable mouth, but I just love it! It's so small it's incredibly handy and one of the more satisfying planes I use. It's boat shaped so is very comfortable in the hand. FWIW. I'm far from expert.
    Last edited by Kurtis Johnson; 04-17-2017 at 1:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Even though these planes are intended as gifts, they are functuional. Miniature block plane
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Phil,

Another thought might be to look at spoke shaves. They can be used like a plane in many situations.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks all! Appreciate your first hand input. I do have several vintage and new block planes, and know I could make them work, just feeling like a smaller version would provide a little more control and finesse with smaller project work.

I like the depth adjustment ability on the LN instrument plane and the LV mini. I may just need to drive over to the LV store in Windsor and get my hands on all the options they have. I may even take a look at the mini spokeshave as well.

Or maybe just pull the trigger on one and see where it leads.

Ibex makes several very small musical instrument makers planes. Most have curved soles - though I think there are a few flat ones.

Sharpening the irons can be tricky because they are teeny...

And while they are cute - they are a bit of a DIY kit to get set up initially...

Handy little things though.