Thread: Walk-about plane, and a rehab

Walk-about plane, and a rehab

Did a walk-about last week.....about 3 blocks each way. "Normal" Antique Store did not have much new....walked back out, and discovered a second store. It is only opened on Tuesday afternoons, it seems..

Walked inside, asked the lady of the store IF she had any old, rusty tools sitting around.....seems she had a few, way in the back of the store. Looked over a box full of chisels, didn't even try to pick out a brace....tripped over a box on the floor....Two #3 planes were sitting down there. Asked how much....$7.....hemmed and hawed for awhile, still looking around....she comes back with a $5 price....gave her a dollar bill to hold one of the planes ( price was per one plane), and walked QUICKLY back home.....asked the Boss for a little extra cash. Walked back down to the store, paid the plane off. Was handed the "treasure" all nicely bagged up...and walked back home....whew...Cardio is done for the day..

So, what Rusty & Krusty Plane was it?
    dirty dunlap.JPG
    Lever cap has a red logo with DUNLAP inside...handsome devil..ain't he?
    dirty back.JPG
    Not sure WHAT finish(s) were on the handles.....but, nothing was missing or broken, unlike the Stanley that was sitting beside it....

Tear it down, clean it all up. Iron even had the factory grind to the edge! mated the chipbreaker a little better to the iron. iron needed some work, due to it being clamped tight for 60+ yrs....Lengthwise it was curved, got that flattened down, shined the area behind the bevel, as it was almost flat. That nasty three layers of "finish was removed....Cleaned the japanning up, as it was about 98% there...
    insides.JPG
    Cleaned the sides, made sure the sole was flat. There was a little chip off the toe...meh. Didn't find any other defects, though...
    sole.JPG
    Put things back together..
    rear view.JPG
    I could have taken the finish back to just bare wood, kind of liked the look of them at the moment.....just gave them a wipe down with oil
    front view.JPG
    May re-paint the red around the DUNLAP on the lever cap..
    shavings.JPG
    Seems to do ...OK, for a Sargent made plane. made about 1951...two years older than me.

Might wander down that way, next Tuesday afternoon.....there is that box full of chisels a-calling my name.....

Worth the walk?

Absolutely worth the walk....

Plan for this afternoon......going back to see what all I missed....like a Buried Treasure Hunt. Noon to Four........