Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I told the boss....

Blog Entries

So I told the boss....

I wanted a $40 a week tool allowance to maintain tools and purchase things as time goes on. His comment was make a list. A list is just a way to pick and choose what they want versus what I need. So I thought I'll just give him a Lee Valley.Grizzly, etc catalog and say I want everything...

But okay a long list it will be..

So I know I want a Amana forstner bit set. A triple set of Bow Clamps Metric and standard drill bits,etc

Help me make a list........
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-19-2017 at 3:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I wanted a $40 a week tool allowance to maintain tools and purchase things as time goes on. His comment was make a list. A list is just a way to pick and choose what they want versus what I need. So I thought I'll just give him a Lee Valley.Grizzly, etc catalog and say I want everything...

But okay a long list it will be..

So I know I want a Amana forstner bit set. A triple set of Bow Clamps Metric and standard drill bits,etc

Help me make a list........
    Doesn't the company you work for purchase the tools/tooling you need to work? Maintenance as well? I'd never expect my guys to work without the necessary stuff to do what they need to do.

If you want to get some really good Forstner bits, buy these..http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,180,42240
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-19-2017 at 3:24 PM.
    Andrew J. Coholic

You should be supplying basic hand tools, and a cordless drill in my shop. (And any shop I've worked in for that matter.) Chisels, squares, hammers, putty knife, etc. The rest is either because you don't want any of the cretins you work with screwing it up, or you just like having your own stuff.

If you came to me and wanted a dollar an hour raise just for tools, I'd probably laugh at you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    You should be supplying basic hand tools, and a cordless drill in my shop. (And any shop I've worked in for that matter.) Chisels, squares, hammers, putty knife, etc. The rest is either because you don't want any of the cretins you work with screwing it up, or you just like having your own stuff.

If you came to me and wanted a dollar an hour raise just for tools, I'd probably laugh at you though.
    So you require your employees to buy their own hand tools? Wow. I even buy all the saftey gear for my guys (gloves, glasses, ear protection, respirators etc). Plus tapes, knives etc.

Id never expect someone working for me in the shop, to have to supply their own tools. Neither did my father.

I take the guys for lunch every Friday too, though
    Andrew J. Coholic

I'm confused. Wouldn't you know exactly what tools you're in need of based on past experiences/projects? We may have a hard time determining exactly what you may or may not need for what you do.

Why not just ask for the stuff you need to get the jobs done, instead of working it into an allowance? Maybe I don't understand what your role is in the company, though.

I work for a company and supply a lot of my own portable/hand tools, but they are also well outfitted with plenty of specialty tools for the jobs we do that I don't have and can't afford. I have co workers who don't own many of their own tools. I personally use my tools elsewhere and at home, plus I am the type of person who works more efficiently with my own tools that I know and maintain personally. I take pride in owning my own tools that I can choose to let someone use (or not use) and that will provide me with greater flexibility and opportunity should I work somewhere else or for myself in the future

What do you do at work the most that seems lacking bc of inadequate tools? Maybe we are talking about different kinds of tools.

Side note - It sounds like Andrew is a good guy to work for Where do you take your crew to lunch?

Side note - It sounds like Andrew is a good guy to work for Where do you take your crew to lunch?[/QUOTE]

Was just thinking the same thing! THAT'S how you run a business!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    So you require your employees to buy their own hand tools? Wow. I even buy all the saftey gear for my guys (gloves, glasses, ear protection, respirators etc). Plus tapes, knives etc.

Id never expect someone working for me in the shop, to have to supply their own tools. Neither did my father.

Every shop is different. My theory is that tools that are yours, you treat differently than if they belong to that incompetent boob that writes you a check every week. Mechanic's spend $20k or more on tools, what's a couple hundred on some basics?

Depends on the position too. The difference between what a guy on a bench needs versus someone in a door department needs is vastly different.

You're required by law to provide safety equipment, I wouldn't use that as much of a benchmark.

Side note Andrew, did you ever get your omga to stop whistling? I've got one that is a screamer. It's in that guard somewhere. The one that's on my bench has no guard whatsoever, no whistle. The other's, depending on blade, freaking howl.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Side note - It sounds like Andrew is a good guy to work for Where do you take your crew to lunch?
    Was just thinking the same thing! THAT'S how you run a business![/QUOTE]

We generally go to a truck stop diner, that's about 15 minutes drive from work. My shop is just outside the city we live in (about 50,000 population). This diner has awesome food, very busy. We have to leave to get there just before noon or we don't get a table. Lots of tradespeople (mainly mechanical as we are predominantly a mining town) go to eat there.

Nothing fancy, but generally a $50 to $60 lunch with a tip. (three of us).

I feel in a small business like I operate, where I cannot pay for things like dental care, eyeglasses etc (too much for me to have a benefits package for my guys), I treat them as best as I can afford to. They get treated well, have a good environment to work in, and also have use of the shop after hours to do what they want to - either for themselves of some paying work too). Plus generally materials at cost. Dont worry, they arent going to try and run their own side business out of my shop, lol. We all have younger families and are busy as heck after working hours. Butm a smaller job here and there puts a few extra bucks into their pockets and we are generally months backed up, and so it doesnt take away from the shop's workload.

Everyone is different. I would find it weird not to supply all the tools, though. I am pretty particular how I want things done, and with what. I doubt they would pony up the $$ to buy tools like I have in the shop. But they take care of things as if it were their own. Its a small custom shop and I am there always. Im not worried about abuse.

I treat them like I'd like to be treated, and it has served me well for 20+ years Ive been in business. Also similarly the way my dad ran the company. Not for everyone.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Every shop is different. My theory is that tools that are yours, you treat differently than if they belong to that incompetent boob that writes you a check every week. Mechanic's spend $20k or more on tools, what's a couple hundred on some basics?

Depends on the position too. The difference between what a guy on a bench needs versus someone in a door department needs is vastly different.

You're required by law to provide safety equipment, I wouldn't use that as much of a benchmark.

Side note Andrew, did you ever get your omga to stop whistling? I've got one that is a screamer. It's in that guard somewhere. The one that's on my bench has no guard whatsoever, no whistle. The other's, depending on blade, freaking howl.

I wasnt aware of the safety gear thing being mandatory - we've always bought the supplies anyhow so its a moot point. I dont like crap. I buy good gloves (the MEchanix work gloves in various thicknesses - between $20 and $30 a pair up here.. and we go through several hundred dollars worth yearly) and good everything. I like to work in a comfortable, pleasant environment. And I dont expect my guys to work in any less. Never said I was a good businessman, lol.

As for the Omga chop saw, I find the blade makes a difference. Similarly with the RAS. Some blades howl, and some not so much. I think I have a Forrest chopmaster on there right now (good for smaller trim and framing, too many teeth for larger pieces though) it is very quiet. I'd never run that saw without a guard personally. I'm a safety minded guy, though. By the book.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Perfect.

And awesome. This is how the west was built. It's worth saving.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 04-17-2017 at 11:17 PM.

What country do you live in? Interesting to see how different parts of the world have different expectations of what you supply to the worksite. Auto mechanics are expected to supply most of their hand tools. Aircraft mechanics are often forbidden to bring any tools to the workplace for safety and tagout reasons.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-19-2017 at 3:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I have a couple of lumberyards.. if you supply free gloves, tapes, knives and snips, you will go through thousands of dollars worth each year.. if you supply an allowance once a year or twice a year.. you will save thousands..

About that OMGA. I recently put a new blade on my RAS, and it turned into a screamer. Took it off. Later I figured out that the blade stiffener that worked fine on the first blade had covered part of the laser cut noise squiggles on the new blade. Put it back on without the stiffener....quiet as can be.

Maybe doesn't apply here, but thought I would mention it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I have a couple of lumberyards.. if you supply free gloves, tapes, knives and snips, you will go through thousands of dollars worth each year.. if you supply an allowance once a year or twice a year.. you will save thousands..
    Exactly what I did, staff received an annual tool allowance for hand tools, and were subject to 2 inspections per year to verify that they had all the items on the required tools list.

It's amazing how losses drop once they have ownership of the issue. The tool allowance was enough to cover routine wear and tear as well as leaving a surplus for expansion of the tool selection.....Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post

+1

I only have one guy though. But if I had more, I'd do the same.
    Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 04-18-2017 at 7:29 PM.
    -Lud