Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So I told the boss....

Blog Entries
    CG8i9VeXAAA1Rm8.jpg
    Last edited by jack duren; 04-23-2017 at 2:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    CG8i9VeXAAA1Rm8.jpg
    Best of luck to you.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    The spring clamps you refer to are made by Ulmia, Larson is a reseller. Bought my first set about 20 years ago, now have three- shop tools

This isn't a cabinet shop.
    Jim I've had hand planes for over 30 years. I have yet to find a reason to pull them out in the last 30 years.
    30 years and you still don't know how to use them?

Lets see- bet you don't see any use for a jointer in a shop either, right?

Have fun with your shiney new tools.
    Last edited by Mark Wooden; 04-23-2017 at 7:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    At one time I was ordering a 35mm Amana bit and it was suggested by the salesman to get the Freud. He said they were better. I have never done a test on the forstner bits but have tested there panel bits and found Amana superior. Maybe its different on the forstner bits..

Jack,
    To be honest, although we have bought and used many Amana and Freud bits and some blades etc over the years I'd much rather purchase alternatives I find are better. For router bits, I find Dimar, Whiteside and a few others more to my liking. Onsrud and Royce/Ayr for my CNC bits. Ive had some larger Amana bits from their CNC line (insert VS brazed, better quality) not run as smoothly as some others.

Anyhow I really don't think you'll find a better Forstner than the Colt. Closest would be a set of Bormax (German as well IIRC) I bought through my Dimar dealer.

I'm not getting into a "hand tools war" lol. I know several shops like mine that are mainly machine oriented, that dont have a use for hand tools. Whatever works for you, I say.

As far as regular drill bits go, have you tried the Centrotec bits from Festool? They are great bits. I have a set of Imperial and Metric we sue mainly for on site/installs and hardware installation. They cut clean entry and exit. Work well for drilling through doors and drawers for hardware without chipping on either side, without a backup board.
    Andrew J. Coholic

This thread has taken a bad turn. There is no sense in disrespecting anyone on the forum, particularly Brian, who does some of the classiest woodworking out there and is quite prolific.

I think part of the issue here is that most people reading this are wondering why you're posting this question of what to buy. You haven't told us what type of work you do and what operations you might be less than efficient at or improperly tooled for.

After 30+ years woodworking, you don't know what consumable tools you need to get the job done?

Also, hand planes can be some of the most effective and efficient tools out there are for certain woodworking tasks. To write off all hand planes is foolish, in my opinion. Again though, we don't know what you're building and doing at work, so it's hard to say.