Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kitchen cabinets

Paul,

Kinda sorta. What Jamie is referring to is applying a clear coat as the one and only finish to the wood so that the wood's own color and pattern shines through. I didn't dig deep into their site but I would think they could do such a thing if you ask. Let us know if you hear differently.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think what he means is there is no Clear wood finish, only stains and paint.

I am considering Lily Ann cabinets partially because they offer 40 inch tall uppers. I prefer that to two cabinets. They are RTA, most styles are plywood and they use soft close doors and drawer glides. Anybody use them?

I think that commercial cabinets are stained because most people want all the wood to match. Unless you make all the doors and drawer fronts from the same log it won't match - and it may not then. A woodworker likes the variation but a lot of members of the public do not. So commercial cabinets (and furniture) is all stained to essentially eliminate the natural variation in the wood.

I made a kitchen once and would do it again but my wife won't. She knows it will take months and she isn't willing to be in the in-between state that long. I can do the cabinets a few at a time and not take the old out before the new are ready to go in but she says no. I think I get to make the bathroom cabinets, however. I've done one so far. She's already picked out the granite with sinks attached for our bath and showed me the cabinet she likes (I forget how much it was but it was at least $500 - may have been closer to $1000).

I walked through the Ikea in Pittsburgh Pa when I was there recently and had time before my flight. I liked the looks of their kitchens and their modular approach to drawer sizes and other features is admirable. They also make tall uppers. But they use particle board and I don't think I can get over that. I also don't think they have a cabinet that fits my wife's appearance criteria.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 04-21-2017 at 7:29 PM.

I just purchased some cabinets from CS hardware for a flip house. They have plywood box's and they have soft close doors and soft close dove tail drawers . I have not got them yet but they were a good price and I hope they are as good of cabinet on paper as in real life. Time will tell but for $2000 I figure I would give them a try. They also will give you 10% of if you are a contractor as well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...kH3DQ96KXln1Dw
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Out of curiosity I compared the price of a tall oven cabinet to the cost of materials for one I just made. Cliq's price was $1325 delivered. My cost for materials was about $150 using 3/4" birch plywood for the sides and bottom of the oven opening, 1/2" plywood for the drawers, shelves, top & bottom and 1/4" plywood for the back. Drawer slides are Blum undermount soft close, door hinges are Blum compact soft close and handles are stainless bar. But quotes I got at HD put that oven cabinet at almost $2000 and that cabinet had a lot of cost cuts in materials.

FWIW, I kept material costs to a minimum (fixed income and all that) and will be painting the sides to create a weathered look. So high quality hardwoods and plywood was not needed, like in our last house. But the cost savings was substantial enough to compel me to make the cabinets even though I'm slowing down a bit with age.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I wish I had the time and my wife had the patience to wait for me to make our kitchen cabinets (would probably take me a year since I work full-time, have a full-time wife and full-time teenage daughter, and a full-time dog) but I've done enough throughout our home to save enough to pay someone else to get our kitchen done in a reasonable amount of time. It is the last room in the house to be redone and we're knocking on 20 years there. The kitchen has got to be the most stressful remodel in a home. It'll test that marriage!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Out of curiosity I compared the price of a tall oven cabinet to the cost of materials for one I just made. Cliq's price was $1325 delivered. My cost for materials was about $150 using 3/4" birch plywood for the sides and bottom of the oven opening, 1/2" plywood for the drawers, shelves, top & bottom and 1/4" plywood for the back. Drawer slides are Blum undermount soft close, door hinges are Blum compact soft close and handles are stainless bar. But quotes I got at HD put that oven cabinet at almost $2000 and that cabinet had a lot of cost cuts in materials.

FWIW, I kept material costs to a minimum (fixed income and all that) and will be painting the sides to create a weathered look. So high quality hardwoods and plywood was not needed, like in our last house. But the cost savings was substantial enough to compel me to make the cabinets even though I'm slowing down a bit with age.

some of the prices are a bit odd, the filler strips and stuff are very high for example, but when you avg. it across the whole kitchen with all the cabinets it becomes quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I wish I had the time and my wife had the patience to wait for me to make our kitchen cabinets (would probably take me a year since I work full-time, have a full-time wife and full-time teenage daughter, and a full-time dog) but I've done enough throughout our home to save enough to pay someone else to get our kitchen done in a reasonable amount of time. It is the last room in the house to be redone and we're knocking on 20 years there. The kitchen has got to be the most stressful remodel in a home. It'll test that marriage!!
    OMG, Chris, all that full-time stuff made me laugh and cry and stress, all at the same time!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, I've known Chris for a very long time and all that 'full time' stuff is very real and constantly being added to...case in point: the teenager.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...